Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award tickets for Asia -- too many miles or good value? Saver availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Never Again!

Last edited by northsideguy; Jan 19, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by northsideguy
For example a business saver award ticket from BKK-FRA-ORD and return ORD-FRA-BKK all on LH non stop flights, the cost is 180,000 miles.

Sadly, at this point, we should all be happy when we even SEE business saver awards....on any route!!

Also, FWIW, united.com offers quite a few other options, such as BKK-PVG-ORD RT on select dates for 180k miles in business saver with BKK-PVG on HO (Juneyao Airlines) and PVG-ORD on UA metal. Cheapest I've seen is 75K O/W ORD-DEN-NRT-BKK. None are particularly nice routes....

Bring back BKK....bring back BKK!
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Xxxxx
NJSwamplands likes this.

Last edited by northsideguy; Jan 19, 2019 at 8:55 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Yes, I can fly business for 90,000 award miles to travel approx. 19,000 actual miles but to fly non stop 11,000 miles I’m charged 100,000 award miles.
Convenience and non-stop is also more expensive with purchased tickets. That's nothing new.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Poster

NJSwamplands likes this.

Last edited by northsideguy; Jan 19, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by narvik
Sadly, at this point, we should all be happy when we even SEE business saver awards....on any route!!
This is true.

Just concentrate on searching for PZ inventory and upgrade with the $600 service fees (I don't use the term "copay", it sounds too much like I'm in a doctors office). It's a good deal if you can get an inexpensive economy fare, especially during a time where there is less demand. I flew SFO-HKG round trip at the end of last November and paid a whopping $477 for the economy class fare and then 60K miles and a $1200 service fee to get into Polaris. So $1677 + 60K miles round trip. The downside is the PQD credit only applies to the underlying fare and not the upgrade fees.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I fly on an award ticket anywhere in Europe, it is 100,000 miles. It doesnt matter if it is non stops or connections. If I fly to US, it’s 90,000 miles no matter if I connect through Europe, Africa or Asia. Basically, we in Asia are being overcharge to fly to Europe from Asia.
You’re looking at this backwards. They’re giving you a discount on travel to North America.

If they were to “fix” this, they’d simply raise the North America-South Asia price.

Be careful what you ask for.
seanp7, NJSwamplands and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by jsloan

You’re looking at this backwards. They’re giving you a discount on travel to North America.

If they were to “fix” this, they’d simply raise the North America-South Asia price.

Be careful what you ask for.
Exactly. Or, eliminate the VERY generous routing rules that allows you to fly a single award from Asia to North America via Europe or Africa. Definitely a case of be careful what you wish for.

-FlyerBeek
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
It is Yes, I can fly business for 90,000 award miles to travel BKK-FRA-ORD. but to fly non stop BKK-FRA I’m charged 100,000 award miles. SFO to FRA is about the same distance BKK to FRA. To travel these routes on LH non stop flights o/w, is 70,000 miles from SFO and 100,000 miles from BKK.
you are missing the point. To fly nonstop is a premium advantage. Plus UA can charge whatever they feel they can get. You are not being “overcharged”. You just are not getting the value you want.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Like most carriers' award charts, UA's contains some good values and some poor ones. South Asia to Europe (and vice-verse) is a very poor value. Unfortunately, the good values are getting fewer and fewer with each devaluation.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
SW Asia is worse

Here in SW Asia (DMM, BAH) we see no saver Business Class award availability. In fact for DMM-TPA the best I can find for June is 180K EACH way and that’s in a mixed cabin on Egyptair. UA MP miles are worth less than Yemeni Riyals if your trying to fly from SW Asia to the USA.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by narvik

Also, FWIW, united.com offers quite a few other options, such as BKK-PVG-ORD RT on select dates for 180k miles in business saver with BKK-PVG on HO (Juneyao Airlines) and PVG-ORD on UA metal. Cheapest I've seen is 75K O/W ORD-DEN-NRT-BKK. None are particularly nice routes....

Bring back BKK....bring back BKK!
What am I missing? I fly this route all the time and 90K O/W is normal. I think it is an excellent value to be able to go BKK-US and back for 180K.

I just found a pair of seats in late FEB, BKK-VIE-ORD on OS in J for 90K each. I was checking every day though, for the last 3 months, and finally got my preferred return date.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
What am I missing? I fly this route all the time and 90K O/W is normal. I think it is an excellent value to be able to go BKK-US and back for 180K.
Unless you remember the prices prior to the massive 2014 devaluation.
cricketer and narvik like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
If I don't like prices at XYZ store I stop shopping there. Unless the OP feels that government control should dictate everything, he is peeing into the wind.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:35 am

in the old days, it was cheapest to go asia to europe by booking a round trip to TLV and making a stopover in europe. i think that's how i did it, so also got to spend 2 days in TLV and it made the ticket like 40% cheaper. i wanna say 90k round trip in business. add to that some bumps out of europe and it was a very profitable routing.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.