Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Agent to me: "You are making fun of me because of my accent" ????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agent to me: "You are making fun of me because of my accent" ????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by catocony
This applies to every country, but an American calling an American company that has outsourced it's customer service to India or the PI or wherever shouldn't feel like the guilty party in a situation like this. These are problems that didn't exist 25 years ago but are unfortunately almost the norm these days.
Huh???
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:26 am

I find that if you call UA using the US 1800 number during business hours in the US chances are you'll get a US agent. If you call the overseas local number or outside business hours chances are you'll get an agent whose local and the experience will very much be hit or miss. I've had some excellent UA agents where it was clear English was not their first language, or likely their second, but they didn't allow that to become a liability and handled themselves professionally. I've also had native US agents be real sticklers for the rules and give me 0 leeway on anything. One thing you may want to try doing when you call UA is indicate you want to be called back to give feedback.

tldr : YMMV when in doubt HUCA

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by malgudi
Huh???
Simply put, if anyone has a problem not understanding the local language of the customer when the customer calls into a domestic company, it's not the customer's fault if accents or simply not understanding the language fully is a problem. In this case, that's on United for having an offshore call center handle calls coming from US customers.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
At the first sign of an uncooperative agent, I just immediately initiate HUCA protocols.
Could you elaborate on the HUCA protocol? What does it involve?

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Could you elaborate on the HUCA protocol? What does it involve?

-James
Just end the call politely and say thank you. Then call back. Or just hang up if you so desire - calls get disconnected all the time. Don’t waste time with someone who isn’t interested in helping you. Move on and upgrade your phone agent.

”Hang Up Call Again”
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

Just end the call politely and say thank you. Then call back. Or just hang up if you so desire - calls get disconnected all the time. Don’t waste time with someone who isn’t interested in helping you. Move on and upgrade your phone agent.

”Hang Up Call Again”
What's the HUCA protocol say if you call again and end up with the same agent? Is it just HUCA? Keeping HUCAing till you get a different agent?

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the HUCA protocol say if you call again and end up with the same agent? Is it just HUCA?
-James
IME a very minimal chance. Waiting a couple of minutes helps, as first agent might then have moved on to another call.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:33 am

What's the HUCA protocol say if you call again and end up with the same agent? Is it just HUCA? Keeping HUCAing till you get a different agent?

-James
Since in my entire life I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to the same agent twice (at least especially in a situation like this), I don’t much worry about that. As soon as you hang up, they get connected to another call. When you call back, you are invariably speaking to someone else.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The odds are pretty low that you'll get the same agent on a call back in. Unless it's a really slow day they'll be on another call when you get routed back through, or on a break or otherwise not sitting there twiddling their thumbs. Or you'll get a different call center entirely.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Something that has been bothering me in this thread:
Just because the CSA had an accent doesn't automatically mean they were NOT in the USA.
There's plenty of persons in the USA with accents, some of whom might work in call centers.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by catocony
The odds are pretty low that you'll get the same agent on a call back in. Unless it's a really slow day they'll be on another call when you get routed back through, or on a break or otherwise not sitting there twiddling their thumbs. Or you'll get a different call center entirely.
Originally Posted by narvik
Something that has been bothering me in this thread:
Just because the CSA had an accent doesn't automatically mean they were NOT in the USA.
There's plenty of persons in the USA with accents, some of whom might work in call centers.
The odds of it happening were quite high on USAirways when I was Chairman's Preferred. My wife, who was always calling for me, frequently had the same Chairman's Preferred Angel answering the phone. And the agent could recognize my wife because my wife has an accent. Thirty years in the US and the accent has not disappeared.....
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:33 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by jsloan
If someone spoke to me like that, I'd be upset also.
I mean, yes and no. Agents have a tendency to not listen to what the customer is saying. When I have a complex booking it's always 15min of playing along with their stupid script until they realize they might have to do something unusual. Trying to feel them the exact thing I want or need by the start is a giant pain in the ....

Of recent memory, I've had quite a few instances with AA where I needed the agent to go to the rate desk immediately to get approval to ticket something based on the calendar date in CA (before midnight) which their auto-pricing wouldn't suggest due to being in CET. Each time was a struggle of playing along with their game for 20min (precious time when the clock is ticking) before they eventually call the rate desk and get it done. Frustrating, but I've learnt that it's not possible to just talk to agents like you know what you're talking about — they never believe you. (These are 1K / EXP agents we're talking about, too)
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.