Apparently Austin is not in the US

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold
Wink Apparently Austin is not in the US

For your Friday amusement. Go to: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

Notice that when you look at the list of US clubs (by clicking on "U.S", yes it is missing the second period) that Austin is not listed. If you click on "All" then Austin is listed.

Now, this begs the question. If Austin isn't in the US, then where is it? It's not listed under "Europe", "Latin America & Caribbean", or "Pacific". Does this mean I no longer have to pay US income taxes? Perhaps United is asserting that Texas was illegally annexed in 1845, but if that is true, then why do they list the Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio clubs under US? These are important questions and I demand immediate answers!
acg2 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by octopic
For your Friday amusement. Go to: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

Notice that when you look at the list of US clubs (by clicking on "U.S", yes it is missing the second period) that Austin is not listed. If you click on "All" then Austin is listed.

Now, this begs the question. If Austin isn't in the US, then where is it? It's not listed under "Europe", "Latin America & Caribbean", or "Pacific". Does this mean I no longer have to pay US income taxes? Perhaps United is asserting that Texas was illegally annexed in 1845, but if that is true, then why do they list the Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio clubs under US? These are important questions and I demand immediate answers!

Maybe that's why the wall is so important so we will know Austin is a part of the US?
iluv2fly, JMBResona and wavid like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

Maybe they got fed up and built a wall around themselves.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Naw, Austin is just weird.

David
Daze, PTahCha, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Now I know that a lot of Texans say that Austin really isn't part of Texas (i.e., it's too liberal), but not part of the U.S. is another matter.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Too bad they got Honolulu right - there goes our chance to argue that it should be treated as INTL since UA themselves doesn't have them on the U.S list.

Last edited by milepig; Jan 19, 2019 at 12:24 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:14 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DELee

Naw, Austin is just weird.

Unofficial motto of the city.
acg2 and DELee like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Does this mean I no longer have to pay US income taxes?!
Sadly US citizens have to pay US taxes whether they live in the US or not
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Watergate
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Unofficial motto of the city.
And all the other cities that hired the same marketing firm or picked up on that trend. Keep Boise Weird!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RichardNixon
And all the other cities that hired the same marketing firm or picked up on that trend. Keep Boise Weird!
Except that in Austin it started as people driven campaign against gentrification.

And Austin's is the only one I'm aware of outside of where it started. Maybe Portland, but not to the extent as Austin @:-)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Except that in Austin it started as people driven campaign against gentrification.
I've always thought Santa Cruz was the first, but the Smithsonian claims it was Austin.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
For whatever reason, looking at the link the OP provided https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
I presently see under "U.S." (with a second period) AUS as the second UC.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by milepig
Too bad they got Honolulu right - there goes are chance to argue that it should be treated as INTL since UA themselves doesn't have them on the U.S list.
Reminds me when I was flying US Air (when it was aligned with United sometime in 2008). Flying from Nassau (Bahamas) to SAN via Philadelphia to be told by the Iounge agents at the PHL Ckub lounge on the return to SAN my ten year old son and I could not enter the lounge because flights from the Bahanas were not international flights. I questioned this to be told that flights from the Bahamas were a domestic flight. I commented I thought the news of the occupation by the US would be a surprise to the Bahamaian government, especially as I had needed my passport to enter and leave the country. My ten year old asked me why Anericans were so ignorant about geography. This thread just reinforces my views on the US education system.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For whatever reason, looking at the link the OP provided https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx
I presently see under "U.S." (with a second period) AUS as the second UC.
Proof UA reads flyertalk! And picks low-hanging fruit. (Wayback machine shows 'U.S' from at least 2017 through five days ago.)

If only comments on substantive issues generated such quick corrective action.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:39 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
They appear to have fixed it now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.