Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT & 777 or HND & 787? in economy from SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Hi guys,

I've been away from frequent flying for several years, so I am really not up to date with a lot of information. Just have a question, I am redeeming miles for three award tickets from SFO to NGO in August and the United system shows availability with both the SFO-HND on 787 and SFO-NRT flight (on 777). Which flight do you guys recommend in terms of comfort? I will be flying Y class without Economy Plus.

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I’d go with the 787. The seat width (or narrowness) is about the same at 17” and smidgen more. But the 787 has 32” seat pitch over the 77W’s 31”, and IME thst extra inch legroom does make a difference. And however narrow the seat, a 3-3-3 configuration (787) beats 3-4-3 (77W) any time.
gijoe24jp and drewguy like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:21 am

Seats being almost equal, 787 is quieter, with more comfortable level of humidity and air pressure. HND is much shorter (cheaper) ride to Tokyo than NRT.
gijoe24jp likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Unless you can get the old configuration 772 (which has 3-3-3 seating) the 787 is preferable. The new 772 and 77W (777-300) is very cramped with 3-4-3 seating.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Which flight do you guys recommend in terms of comfort? I will be flying Y class without Economy Plus.
Neither is going to be the most comfortable flight you've ever had in your life, but I agree that the 787 is going to be better (read: "less bad") than the 777, as they're using the 10-across 777-300 on SFO-NRT.

That said -- whichever option you choose, pay close attention to whether or not you're going to have to schlep across Tokyo to make your connecting flight. UA will happily sell you SFO-NRT / HND-NGO or SFO-HND / NRT-NGO. It's obvious on the web -- "Please note your connection involves an airport change" but easy to miss if you're booking on the mobile site.

Some people may enjoy the idea of seeing some of the Tokyo countryside on the airport bus, or navigating the Tokyo train system with their luggage. Most people would probably rather just transfer at the same airport where they arrived.
artvandalay and drewguy like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by drewguy
Unless you can get the old configuration 772 (which has 3-3-3 seating) the 787 is preferable. The new 772 and 77W (777-300) is very cramped with 3-4-3 seating.
SFO-NRT is a 77W route, so it's either 3-4-3 or 787 3-3-3. Only issue with going to HND is that you have to change terminals to transit HND-NGO. At NRT, domestic and international flights are in the same terminal building.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:26 am

How do the *lounges at NRT versus HND compare?

-James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by j2simpso

-James
No significant difference that I've been able to identify. NRT had(has) nigiri for a couple hours in the afternoon.Don't think HND does.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
HND only has ANA two lounges, which are basically identical to the NRT ANA lounges. NRT also has the UA lounge, which has less food but more seating vs. the two ANA lounges at NRT. My impression is the HND lounges are crowded in the morning and the NRT lounges are crowded in the afternoon.

In order of preference at NRT, I prefer the ANA lounge by gate 45 > United Club > ANA lounge by gate 51

-James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 764toHI
HND only has ANA two lounges, which are basically identical to the NRT ANA lounges. NRT also has the UA lounge, which has less food but more seating vs. the two ANA lounges at NRT. My impression is the HND lounges are crowded in the morning and the NRT lounges are crowded in the afternoon.
OP will not be able to access any of these lounges regardless. One, because the question was about a Y flight without E+, meaning no status. Two, even on the off chance that OP is a United Club member, because OP asked about flying SFO->NGO. OP will go through immigration and customs at NRT/HND without ever being able to get into the lounge.

There is a small lounge in the domestic waiting area at NRT, but, again, see point #1 . I assume there's a similar lounge in the domestic terminal at HND, but I've never been there.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
OP will not be able to access any of these lounges regardless. One, because the question was about a Y flight without E+, meaning no status. Two, even on the off chance that OP is a United Club member, because OP asked about flying SFO->NGO. OP will go through immigration and customs at NRT/HND without ever being able to get into the lounge.

There is a small lounge in the domestic waiting area at NRT, but, again, see point #1 . I assume there's a similar lounge in the domestic terminal at HND, but I've never been there.
Doesn't A3 Gold grant you lounge access or are the rules different when flying on a UA award ticket? I've always had luck accessing my UA Gold lounge benefit when flying AC on an ÉrrorPlan ticket, albeit maybe things are different for A3.

-James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I don't see why my answer to @j2simpso's question is relevant to the OP and your response. I'm fully aware of the relevant *A rules concerning lounge entry.

Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doesn't A3 Gold grant you lounge access or are the rules different when flying on a UA award ticket? I've always had luck accessing my UA Gold lounge benefit when flying AC on an ÉrrorPlan ticket, albeit maybe things are different for A3.
Ah, sorry, I take it back. A3 Gold should be sufficient. I missed that in the original message.

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I don't see why my answer to @j2simpso's question is relevant to the OP and your response. I'm fully aware of the relevant *A rules concerning lounge entry.
No offense intended; it's just that I thought the original question was irrelevant to the OP due to the reasons I posted.

I now see I was mistaken about access, but the presence of the other clubs is still irrelevant to the OP on a SFO->NGO itinerary. OP will never be in the secure area of the international terminal where the lounges are. If OP is planning to return via TYO, that's a different story entirely.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:02 pm

OP will never be in the secure area of the international terminal where the lounges are. If OP is planning to return via TYO, that's a different story entirely.
However, per the *A lounge finder are NH lounges in the domestic terminals of both HND and NRT! One other decision OP will need to consider is who they'll guest in with their +1! Decisions, decisions!

-James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:29 pm

You don't mention the relationship between the 3 people. For example, if it's two parents and a younger child, the center section of 3 on 787 allows both parents to have aisle access with the kid in the middle. If it's you and your teenage son and his girlfriend, maybe fly the 77W and put them in the sweetheart seats in row 50 and seat yourself somewhere else. It all depends!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.