Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT & 777 or HND & 787? in economy from SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT & 777 or HND & 787? in economy from SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by threeoh
You don't mention the relationship between the 3 people. For example, if it's two parents and a younger child, the center section of 3 on 787 allows both parents to have aisle access with the kid in the middle. If it's you and your teenage son and his girlfriend, maybe fly the 77W and put them in the sweetheart seats in row 50 and seat yourself somewhere else. It all depends!
What? No. You mean "Put them in A and C, and sit yourself in B"!!!!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
I vote 787 to HND unless the scheduling of the other flight is better.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:47 pm

I would also like to remind the OP that as an A3 Gold they (and their +1) flying on any * carrier will have access to whatever *Gold lounges are available at any airport regardless of itinerary. For instance, if you were to fly LAX to SFO on a separate domestic itin, you would have access to the UC as a A3 Gold (in addition to the wonderful *A lounge @ TBIT). The only people who don't have access to UCs on domestic only itins are as lowly UA Elites

-James

Could someone comment on the immigration situation at HND/NRT? I've heard immigration at NRT can be a mess at times (i.e. 4 PM) but have had some issues at HND the last time I cleared immigration there. I suspect OP would have to clear immigration there before flying on to NGO? Will UA/NH check their bag through to the final destination or is a re-check necessary or does it depend by airport?

-James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2019 at 6:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Will UA/NH check their bag through to the final destination or is a re-check necessary or does it depend by airport?
OP goes through customs and immigration at TYO. I transited NRT; my bag was checked through to my final destination but I had to bring it from the customs area to the domestic check-in counter. At NRT, that was downstairs, near the exit from customs, so it wasn't much of a chore.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:36 pm

Here's my verdict based on the discussion we've had so far.

You should pick the NRT service from UA:
  1. The connection experience will be seamless for re-checking bags and getting on to your domestic flight
  2. There are more non-stops out of NRT than HND on a given day which gives you added protection in the event of IRROPS
  3. The cabin difference between 777 vs 787 isn't that huge, especially in Y flying E-. Your best hope for improving the cabin experience regardless of option would be choosing an emergency exit row seat (I believe the window ones are free?). Best seat on either of them would be the emergency exit near the restroom since you've got tons of space to stretch out to the point where you can leave your window seat without waking anyone up.
  4. Lounge situation is about the same at both airports, you'll have access to at both the domestic and international terminals
-James
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
However, per the *A lounge finder are NH lounges in the domestic terminals of both HND and NRT! One other decision OP will need to consider is who they'll guest in with their +1! Decisions, decisions!

-James
My bad, I used to be a A3 Gold, but no longer anymore.

Originally Posted by threeoh
You don't mention the relationship between the 3 people. For example, if it's two parents and a younger child, the center section of 3 on 787 allows both parents to have aisle access with the kid in the middle. If it's you and your teenage son and his girlfriend, maybe fly the 77W and put them in the sweetheart seats in row 50 and seat yourself somewhere else. It all depends!
I will be flying with my wife and a 4 year old son. Thanks for the advice, I did pick the center section.

Originally Posted by Twerk
Seats being almost equal, 787 is quieter, with more comfortable level of humidity and air pressure. HND is much shorter (cheaper) ride to Tokyo than NRT.
Thanks, I won't be going into downtown Tokyo, so it wouldn't be an issue. But you're right, if I am going to Tokyo, I would pick HND over NRT anyday.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Neither is going to be the most comfortable flight you've ever had in your life, but I agree that the 787 is going to be better (read: "less bad") than the 777, as they're using the 10-across 777-300 on SFO-NRT.

That said -- whichever option you choose, pay close attention to whether or not you're going to have to schlep across Tokyo to make your connecting flight. UA will happily sell you SFO-NRT / HND-NGO or SFO-HND / NRT-NGO. It's obvious on the web -- "Please note your connection involves an airport change" but easy to miss if you're booking on the mobile site.

Some people may enjoy the idea of seeing some of the Tokyo countryside on the airport bus, or navigating the Tokyo train system with their luggage. Most people would probably rather just transfer at the same airport where they arrived.
Thanks, I made sure the transit airport was the same. I did NRT-HND transit several years ago, and while it wasn't painful, it was just time consuming especially during rush hours.

Originally Posted by hirohito888
SFO-NRT is a 77W route, so it's either 3-4-3 or 787 3-3-3. Only issue with going to HND is that you have to change terminals to transit HND-NGO. At NRT, domestic and international flights are in the same terminal building.
Ah, good point. HND terminals are not next to each other so a ride on the shuttle bus is needed.

OP will not be able to access any of these lounges regardless. One, because the question was about a Y flight without E+, meaning no status. Two, even on the off chance that OP is a United Club member, because OP asked about flying SFO->NGO. OP will go through immigration and customs at NRT/HND without ever being able to get into the lounge.

There is a small lounge in the domestic waiting area at NRT, but, again, see point #1 . I assume there's a similar lounge in the domestic terminal at HND, but I've never been there.
Yeah, no lounge for me, not when traveling with a 4 years old.

I would also like to remind the OP that as an A3 Gold they (and their +1) flying on any * carrier will have access to whatever *Gold lounges are available at any airport regardless of itinerary. For instance, if you were to fly LAX to SFO on a separate domestic itin, you would have access to the UC as a A3 Gold (in addition to the wonderful *A lounge @ TBIT). The only people who don't have access to UCs on domestic only itins are as lowly UA Elites

-James

Could someone comment on the immigration situation at HND/NRT? I've heard immigration at NRT can be a mess at times (i.e. 4 PM) but have had some issues at HND the last time I cleared immigration there. I suspect OP would have to clear immigration there before flying on to NGO? Will UA/NH check their bag through to the final destination or is a re-check necessary or does it depend by airport?

-James
NRT tends to be messy around afternoon when all TPAC flights arrive from North America. HND on the other hand is less crowded due to the fact that it is a predominantly domestic terminal, and most international flights depart/arrive early morning or late night. Still, I will be traveling near the Obon holiday in mid-August, so that could be a nightmare for domestic airports though.

1. The connection experience will be seamless for re-checking bags and getting on to your domestic flight
  2. There are more non-stops out of NRT than HND on a given day which gives you added protection in the event of IRROPS
  3. The cabin difference between 777 vs 787 isn't that huge, especially in Y flying E-. Your best hope for improving the cabin experience regardless of option would be choosing an emergency exit row seat (I believe the window ones are free?). Best seat on either of them would be the emergency exit near the restroom since you've got tons of space to stretch out to the point where you can leave your window seat without waking anyone up.
  4. Lounge situation is about the same at both airports, you'll have access to at both the domestic and international terminals
-James
Thank you James for summarizing everything!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold

-James
This is false. There are way more HND-NGO than NRT-NGO flights.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Am I missing something here:

For Narita:

For Ha-Neda:
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Absolutely not, NGO from Tokyo (either airport) by air is primarily for international connections, not domestic. Everyone domestic takes the Shinkansen train since it's under 2 hours downtown to downtown. You'd be correct to almost any other domestic flight in Japan, but not NGO due to the very short distance.

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Ah, good point. HND terminals are not next to each other so a ride on the shuttle bus is needed.

Yeah, no lounge for me, not when traveling with a 4 years old.

NRT tends to be messy around afternoon when all TPAC flights arrive from North America. HND on the other hand is less crowded due to the fact that it is a predominantly domestic terminal, and most international flights depart/arrive early morning or late night. Still, I will be traveling near the Obon holiday in mid-August, so that could be a nightmare for domestic airports though.
Actually during Obon, the domestic terminal in NRT will be far more pleasant than HND (or any other national holiday for that matter). While I despise the 77W on UA in Economy (whether E+ or E-), I think I'd rather this flight considering your destination of NGO rather than HND. The 787 is a much more comfortable plane despite the seat size being almost the same, but NRT for a domestic connection is so much more desirable.

Also, not sure when the last time you've came into Japan is from North America, but they've really streamlined the process for foreigners now. There are kiosks to do your photo and fingerprints now in a bank similar to the US, so it shaves off a significant amount of time at the actual counter of the immigration officer. Nothing has changed with customs unfortunately after you pick up your baggage, it's still a 100% check of your customs form, with periodic questioning and baggage search. We're one of the only advanced countries in the world who still won't implement a "Green Lane", so that one does get a bit backed up at peak times, but it's far far worse during peak arrivals at HND than NRT. Even the US has done away with that system now for the most part.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:28 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
You do need a shuttle bus ride, but it's actually quite easy - in the international terminal after customs, there is a checkin area for NH and JL domestic flights. You check your bags there, go through security right there as well, and then ride the bus which drops you airside in the domestic terminals.

Probably not as convenient as NRT, but it's still very fast and easy, without the crowds of HND-originating domestic passengers.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
There is a small lounge in the domestic waiting area at NRT, but, again, see point #1 . I assume there's a similar lounge in the domestic terminal at HND, but I've never been there.
Not relevant for the OP but for others reading the thread, ANA has very large domestic lounges at HND. But their domestic lounges in general have no food aside from packets of snack crackers. Unlike UA lounges, however, at least at domestic ANA lounges you can bring in outside food, which many people do.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.