Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather Waiver - Winter Storm Harper 18-20 Jan. 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Weather Waiver - Winter Storm Harper 18-20 Jan. 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Was supposed to be arriving into DAY via DEN on Saturday evening. Got an agent to retain my CPU and go via ORD on Sunday. He even booked me into PN. Maybe he put me in Y?
JFC. My original SJC-DEN-DAY on Saturday went off without a hitch but I had rebooked on a redeye SFO-ORD-DAY. ORD-DAY canceled 37 minutes before departure with weather being blamed (clear on both ends). Even if it were crew they absolutely would have known long before that. This airline
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jsloan
What?!

What airline were they placed on?

UA will have a gigantic liability if they're not able to get people's bags to them faster than that:

(Link)
They got placed on a charter flight of some sort. It wasn’t a regularly scheduled common carrier flight. Maybe it was a Sun Country charter flight. Not sure that constitutes UA finding the bags or not, but they almost certainly left on a charter flight.

Part of the issue is that by the time the charter carrier notices and luggage goes back to get in UA’s hands, it will be too late for the bags to catch up until the passengers with mishandled bags are on their way back.
Originally Posted by JAaronT

JFC. My original SJC-DEN-DAY on Saturday went off without a hitch but I had rebooked on a redeye SFO-ORD-DAY. ORD-DAY canceled 37 minutes before departure with weather being blamed (clear on both ends). Even if it were crew they absolutely would have known long before that. This airline
The UA agents at check in and the gate seem to be poorly informed by the company about what’s going on in at least one regard: I could figure out specific rolling cancellations were going to hit before even the UA gate agents/checkin agents were told what was going to hit. UA just doesn’t seem to invest enough in its information being processed fast enough for agents to get ahead of passengers like me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2019 at 9:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I could figure out specific rolling cancellations were going to hit before even the UA gate agents/checkin agents were told what was going to hit.
How were you able to factor in the possibility of UA doing an aircraft swap - something that is far from uncommon in cases like this.

The UA still will be able to see just as well as you can where the inbound aircraft is due from, however they will also know from extensive experience that aircraft get shuffled, and what the system says right now might not be what actually happens.

During the storms at SFO last week my inbound was due to arrive around 40 minute late, which would have had us boarding late, and likely departing a little late. Somewhere less than an hour before the flight the inbound aircraft changed, we boarded on time, and the door closed early. This type of thing happens a lot at the hub - and the agents know that very, very well.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:48 am

A little confused by the waiver it lists JFK as an affected airport. Does UA still fly out of JFK? I thought they discontinued that a while back! Also why the heck isn't Ottawa (YOW) on the list? Surely they're in the same rut as YYZ and YUL (and UX operates from that airport).

-James
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by docbert
How were you able to factor in the possibility of UA doing an aircraft swap - something that is far from uncommon in cases like this.

The UA still will be able to see just as well as you can where the inbound aircraft is due from, however they will also know from extensive experience that aircraft get shuffled, and what the system says right now might not be what actually happens.

During the storms at SFO last week my inbound was due to arrive around 40 minute late, which would have had us boarding late, and likely departing a little late. Somewhere less than an hour before the flight the inbound aircraft changed, we boarded on time, and the door closed early. This type of thing happens a lot at the hub - and the agents know that very, very well.
An aircraft swap won’t do anything to overcome the reality of what can get into the sky and when and to where and what is in the sky and where, no less so given when outstation equipment needs to come in from somewhere.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Also why the heck isn't Ottawa (YOW) on the list? Surely they're in the same rut as YYZ and YUL (and UX operates from that airport).

-James
I was wondering the same thing. My YOW-IAD was cancelled on a mileage run to YOW-SIN-YOW today. Called and was able to switch to one week later, no fees, but no usable upgraded fare class.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
New York and New England got almost no snow. So much for that.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
They got placed on a charter flight of some sort. It wasn’t a regularly scheduled common carrier flight. Maybe it was a Sun Country charter flight. Not sure that constitutes UA finding the bags or not, but they almost certainly left on a charter flight.

Part of the issue is that by the time the charter carrier notices and luggage goes back to get in UA’s hands, it will be too late for the bags to catch up until the passengers with mishandled bags are on their way back.
I don't think the DOT is going to be impressed if UA were to claim "We found your bags, but they're on some other airplane and we can't get them to you."

That said, even if UA doesn't serve the destination where the bags are, it's going to cost UA a lot less to expedite them to whatever location the passengers want than it will to give up and pay the compensation -- even if they have to pay freight rates due to a lack of an interline agreement.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
A little confused by the waiver it lists JFK as an affected airport. Does UA still fly out of JFK? I thought they discontinued that a while back! Also why the heck isn't Ottawa (YOW) on the list? Surely they're in the same rut as YYZ and YUL (and UX operates from that airport).

-James
of course they do! Codeshares on LH, LX and others ... so they need to cover JFK in the waiver,

I was actually reasonably impressed how UA flew yesterday. Have been a vocal critic of UA when they just cancelled everything during snow storms when DL flew 70% of their operation. Yesterday ... different story at UA ... some cancellations for sure, but BOS-EWR had a few flights (wow!!!!), SFO, DEN, IAH were all going with a few delays. Count me impressed, if this is the new UA ... I want more of it!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
New York and New England got almost no snow. So much for that.
Naw, no problems in New England's major airport:

David
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DELee
Naw, no problems in New England's major airport:

David
Oh it's gotten even better...

And of course I have to be flying EWR-BOS tonight... Already have Amtrak tickets booked as a backup (currently on LHR-EWR and thank god UA wifi is actually functioning this flight)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:31 pm

funny story: the weather ended up being not all that bad here in NJ. i had booked car service to show up a little early than usual due to predicted weather conditions. I even asked them to send an SUV to get through the "5-8 inches". car shows up, tells me he has a flat tire. tried to use my pump, but you can hear the air leaking out fast. ended up driving myself to the airport. cutting it close because i had to go to the parking lot and park the car.

get to the gate, they're almost finished boarding. pilot announces that there's a small issue with the plane, will be 30 min delayed. 30 min turns into 60, turns into 90....turns in 3 HOURS! made it to HNL, day was wasted, but at least got to fly comfortably in business class
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Bad start to the day....airport employee pulled me out of the normal line up and directed me to the wrong CBP line, got a good talk from the CBP officer at YYZ. Then AC decides to change their gates 3 times before announcing that the flight to BOS was delayed for 3.5 hours. Yikes. At this point, might be faster to just drive to Boston.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by carzaddict
funny story: the weather ended up being not all that bad here in NJ. i had booked car service to show up a little early than usual due to predicted weather conditions. I even asked them to send an SUV to get through the "5-8 inches". car shows up, tells me he has a flat tire. tried to use my pump, but you can hear the air leaking out fast. ended up driving myself to the airport. cutting it close because i had to go to the parking lot and park the car.

get to the gate, they're almost finished boarding. pilot announces that there's a small issue with the plane, will be 30 min delayed. 30 min turns into 60, turns into 90....turns in 3 HOURS! made it to HNL, day was wasted, but at least got to fly comfortably in business class
Yeah, NJ was a non event most of Saturday.

I was scheduled to fly out of EWR on a E145 at 8:30 PM. Was resigned to having the flight cancelled...thought no chance of getting home.
But no real weather hitting at takeoff time, and went out on time.

But is was a rather sporty, bumpy landing at DAY in the midst of the storm....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.