Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather Waiver - Winter Storm Harper 18-20 Jan. 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Weather Waiver - Winter Storm Harper 18-20 Jan. 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by carzaddict
Actually, this is really interesting. Newark is only getting 1-3 inches on saturday.........however where I live (morristown) which is only 30 min west.....is getting 8-12 inches. maybe ill just book a hotel for saturday night so i dont get stuck in morristown
#TeamMorris checking in... Parsippany here!

Unrelated, but quick question... if someone is traveling on a ticket booked via a traditional travel agent; can a United CSR take over the ticket and make modifications based on the weather waiver, or does it all have to go back to the booking agent?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
#TeamMorris checking in... Parsippany here!

Unrelated, but quick question... if someone is traveling on a ticket booked via a traditional travel agent; can a United CSR take over the ticket and make modifications based on the weather waiver, or does it all have to go back to the booking agent?
With a waiver or day of travel, UA will dig in
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
My first flight in 2019 was to DC on Sunday. Heavy snow with significant delay. Just got back from DC.
Now I am flying again to Northeast area on Saturday.
I guess 2019 is not a good year for travel at least for me.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With a waiver or day of travel, UA will dig in
Thank you! Friend of mine just called in and had good success. No issues at all - and he's a MP-nobody.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Did the Weather Channel pay United for the reference to their stupid storm naming system?
Yes, this is a super irritating. Winter storms do not have names. Don't feed the Weather Channel hype.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by poohhead80
My first flight in 2019 was to DC on Sunday. Heavy snow with significant delay. Just got back from DC.
Now I am flying again to Northeast area on Saturday.
I guess 2019 is not a good year for travel at least for me.
I landed in DC on Sunday into that storm as well. Had to reroute to go straight to work instead of getting home for a day.
Now supposed to fly home from Newark on Saturday night....

Probably time to buy a Mega Millions ticket. Luck has to change soon, right?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
forecast is getting real nasty for Boston ... no cancellations yet. Common UA where are you when I need you to cancel things? Always tough with waivers to get 'good' re-routings on *A metal e.g. via Europe ... much easier once the cancellation has hit the system.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
3010 a pmCO 772 scheduled to run EWR-HKG today flew AMA-EWR late yesterday. How/why did it get to Amarillo? Is that related to IRROPS from the winter storm?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
3010 a pmCO 772 scheduled to run EWR-HKG today flew AMA-EWR late yesterday. How/why did it get to Amarillo? Is that related to IRROPS from the winter storm?
AMA does painting, no idea if that’s the reason though.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
At EWR now for my 8PM flight. Airport is eerily quiet, at least the rental car return and Terminal A areas.

Looking at the flight boards, operations seem to be going fine for now. Weather doesn't seem to be hitting here until 9PM or so now.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
ORD still appears to be fairly delayed:

Good luck!

David
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I'm 10 miles from EWR, we got about 1/2 inch in the last hour. Medium snow coming down now.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Weather in Chicago resulted in being hit by repeated flight cancellations at point of ticket origin and that was understandable given the nature of the weather around ORD. UA checked in the bags to go to/via ORD but due to some irregularities the bags were wrongfully placed on a flight with which UA doesn’t even have an interline agreement as far as I know. This was discovered when the last UA flight for the day was cancelled, and UA was returning US passengers’ checked in bags and consequently bags were unlikely to get reunited with passengers until the first week of February. UA agents felt bad enough about the situation that the airline arranged for a car and driver to drive the 4+ hours to ORD so that some passengers could overnight at ORD and make flights on Sunday. The passengers with checked luggage wrongfully transported on a plane with which UA has no interline agreement (at least as far as I know) had to go back to their homes to try to pack again for their trips. Weather plus weird baggage handling by the TSA and/or airlines baggage handlers created this snafu. But I have to applaud UA for doing what I didn’t expect them to do to try to make the situation right: hire a car + driver to get the passengers to ORD and allowing for the passengers to first go home to get much of what would be needed for the trip.

It’s going to be interesting to see if UA at ORD try to charge for checked luggage again and how this situation will be handled by Chase Sapphire Reserve’s insurance plans for the trip disruptions and baggage delay.

UA terminal airside at ORD was a ghost town on Saturday morning, due to the cancellations.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 20, 2019 at 3:42 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles

Doesn't look like it was too successful in doing that:
(added: from DELAYED thread: medical reason for diversion then MX)

Last edited by narvik; Jan 20, 2019 at 5:45 am
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This was discovered when the last UA flight for the day was cancelled, and UA was returning US passengers’ checked in bags and consequently bags were unlikely to get reunited with passengers until the first week of February.
What?!

What airline were they placed on?

UA will have a gigantic liability if they're not able to get people's bags to them faster than that:

For bags checked June 1, 2017, or later, if we're unable to find your bag after three days, we'll pay you $1,500 for the value of the bag and its contents without requiring any documentation. The Baggage Resolution Center will contact you to process a compensation payment. We will also reimburse you for the amount you paid to check the bag.

If the value of your lost bag and its contents is more than $1,500, you may document and claim higher amounts up to the DOT required maximum of $3,500 per traveler for flights with the U.S., and applicable maximum for international flights. To do so, please use the link below.
(Link)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.