Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather Waiver - Winter Storm Harper 18-20 Jan. 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying out of Newark on Saturday, and the weather forecasts are calling for the potential of 1 foot of snow, so I'm a bit worried about my flight's chances.

Is there anything I can do to prepare for possible irrops? Get to the airport earlier than usual? Ask to be put on an earlier flight? I've never paid attention to any of the weather-related travel waivers before, what's the usual process when you know there's a chance but nothing's happened yet?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
I'm flying out of Newark on Saturday, and the weather forecasts are calling for the potential of 1 foot of snow, so I'm a bit worried about my flight's chances.

Is there anything I can do to prepare for possible irrops? Get to the airport earlier than usual? Ask to be put on an earlier flight? I've never paid attention to any of the weather-related travel waivers before, what's the usual process when you know there's a chance but nothing's happened yet?
United posts travel waivers here:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...elnotices.aspx

As of this writing they haven't posted one for EWR for this upcoming weekend. They often wait till 1-2 days before to let the forecast firm up.

If they do post a waiver, that opens up one level of flexibility for you: you can change to an earlier or later flight -- even by several days -- without any fees, even if just one seat is available. If you were just connecting in EWR, you'd be able to change to a different routing to avoid EWR entirely, but generally you have to keep the same origin and destination cities as listed on your ticket. Supposed to be available through the app/website but often you have to call.

If your specific flight is actually cancelled or delayed significantly (irrops), a second level of flexibility opens up: you can get a refund, use your funds on another unrelated flight within a year, or often (agent dependent) switch to near-by airports or even other carriers. Most of these options are available through the app/website, but for some you might have to speak to an agent.

Even without either of these, if you think the risk of cancellation later in the day is high and you'd rather fly earlier, you can switch to any flight same day with SDC, $75 for non-status or free for Gold or higher, requires same fare class to be available. There's a thread on this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-wiki.html
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
United posts travel waivers here:

As of this writing they haven't posted one for EWR for this upcoming weekend. They often wait till 1-2 days before to let the forecast firm up.

If they do post a waiver, that opens up one level of flexibility for you: you can change to an earlier or later flight -- even by several days -- without any fees, even if just one seat is available. If you were just connecting in EWR, you'd be able to change to a different routing to avoid EWR entirely, but generally you have to keep the same origin and destination cities as listed on your ticket. Supposed to be available through the app/website but often you have to call.

If your specific flight is actually cancelled or delayed significantly (irrops), a second level of flexibility opens up: you can get a refund, use your funds on another unrelated flight within a year, or often (agent dependent) switch to near-by airports or even other carriers. Most of these options are available through the app/website, but for some you might have to speak to an agent.

Even without either of these, if you think the risk of cancellation later in the day is high and you'd rather fly earlier, you can switch to any flight same day with SDC, $75 for non-status or free for Gold or higher, requires same fare class to be available. There's a thread on this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-wiki.html
Thanks for the in-depth response.

By the time I read your response, they updated the link to include waivers for Fri/Sat out of Newark for the storm. Surprised it happened so soon, my local reports say we won't have a confident forecast or storm track until tomorrow.

So since there's a travel waiver, I have to decide if I can "beat the storm" by getting an earlier flight. I don't know enough about airport operations to feel like I can make an informed guess on that. Is there a rhyme or reason to how they do things? I'm assuming that to a regular consumer it'll look like an on-the-fly decision based on current conditions. Any thoughts?

I'm flying ewr-jax to visit a friend, on a BE N-fare. Does the storm waiver override BE fares being non-changeable?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Weather Waiver - Winter Storm Harper 1/18 - 1/20

Looks like weather waivers are extending to east coast now

Last edited by Brandinho1; Jan 16, 2019 at 12:05 pm Reason: Original picture didn’t attach
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: united
Did the Weather Channel pay United for the reference to their stupid storm naming system?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Did the Weather Channel pay United for the reference to their stupid storm naming system?
Maybe the Weather Channel’s airline of choice is United? I kid...🤪
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I got a waiver for a flight to the midwest (SFO-MCI). Was able to change to change for free into other flights and fare classes. Now upgraded my fare from a G to a Y class ticket. Thank you bad weather!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Seems like a rather early post doesn’t it? Worried about my Saturday evening EWR-LHR, especially since I’m connecting to a separate ticket on LH.

EDIT: messing around with changing the flight online. I see some full Ys are available, and it’s showing 150% PQMs. Would I actually get the 150%? Could I use a GPU? To make matters worse, this is a TATL Light fare.

Last edited by dinoscool3; Jan 16, 2019 at 12:46 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by jerseykeebs
So since there's a travel waiver, I have to decide if I can "beat the storm" by getting an earlier flight. I don't know enough about airport operations to feel like I can make an informed guess on that. Is there a rhyme or reason to how they do things? I'm assuming that to a regular consumer it'll look like an on-the-fly decision based on current conditions. Any thoughts?
Generally int'l, long-haul mainline, etc. tend to get priority while short-haul, United Express, etc. tend to get cancelled first. But it really depends on where crew and planes are and where they're needed, how many people are connecting, etc. Very hard to predict with certainty.

If you can get out before the storm is scheduled to hit, or delay until after it passes, I would. Changing flights within the storm window is kind of hit or miss. You could easily switch from a flight that goes out on time to one that is delayed or cancelled.

I'm flying ewr-jax to visit a friend, on a BE N-fare. Does the storm waiver override BE fares being non-changeable?
I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes, you should be able to change", but I've never done it personally. There are scattered reports that UA will be less willing to put you on another carrier in the case of irrops and will insist you take the next United seat even if it is several days in the future. But with the waiver you should be able to switch to any United flight to your destination within the stated window regardless of fare type.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Seems like a rather early post doesn’t it?
One we should welcome! More time to plan and less crowded phone lines.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Seems like a rather early post doesn’t it? Worried about my Saturday evening EWR-LHR, especially since I’m connecting to a separate ticket on LH.
you should be very worried. Bad idea to book separate tickets and via LHR ... not much you can do here other than trying to get onto the first LHR flight out that night to increase the layover you have at LHR.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Have a flight sunday, got the following email:

Important update on your upcoming flightIn case you missed the local weather memo for the Midwest and Ohio Valley, Saturday’s (January 20th) forecast is snow … and quite a lot we hear.
Since delays are likely, give yourself a little extra time at the airport to make your travel experience as smooth as possible. Better yet, if your travel plans are flexible, change your flight to depart on a later date (also free!).
Who is writing these emails now? the twitter team?
DenverBrian and seanp7 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

EDIT: messing around with changing the flight online. I see some full Ys are available, and it’s showing 150% PQMs. Would I actually get the 150%? Could I use a GPU? To make matters worse, this is a TATL Light fare.
usually, but not a guarantee. Yes, normally that also means you can use a GPU.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
usually, but not a guarantee. Yes, normally that also means you can use a GPU.
The TATL BE fares are new enough that I'm not sure we have any evidence about whether or not they'd retain their "no upgrades / no changes" behavior during IRROPS / under a weather.

That said, if you were to apply a GPU successfully, it's almost a guarantee that you would not get the 150% PQM. IME, the only time I get the PQM bonus is when I don't get upgraded. If I end up sitting up front, it correctly figures out the original class of service.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
The TATL BE fares are new enough that I'm not sure we have any evidence about whether or not they'd retain their "no upgrades / no changes" behavior during IRROPS / under a weather.

That said, if you were to apply a GPU successfully, it's almost a guarantee that you would not get the 150% PQM. IME, the only time I get the PQM bonus is when I don't get upgraded. If I end up sitting up front, it correctly figures out the original class of service.
Well I can seem to change it (although I haven't pressed submit). Interestingly, it is also giving me the option to pay for J on the change screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.