Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD TSA delay report; middle of line privileges for 1K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

From ORD this morning:

All T1 lines were moving but several x-ray machines were closed down. The Wednesday crowd at 630am (usually relatively quiet) looked a lot more like a busy Monday morning. The most notable closure was at the Gold Track/Premier Access checkpoint where 2/3 of lanes were closed. I'd estimate wait times between 10 and 15 minutes on average at all checkpoints and growing.

At T1 precheck where I went through, TSA has reconfigured stanchions to allow for additional people standing in line in between ID checks and metal detectors. The line to have BP checked for TSA Pre eligibility (before getting in checkpoint line) extended into the terminal past the Premier Access check in and probably added 7-10 minutes to the total wait.

​​​​I didnt suffer the additional wait as the 1K/Polaris check in area has been reconfigured to allow passengers to spill out at the front of the initial PB check line. There were 100+ people waiting to have their BPs looked at whom I was able to get in front by using that check-in area. Because I still had to wait in line for ID checks, however, it wasn't quite the GS experience. Hence ''middle-of-line privileges". Still nice. Thanks UA!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
The Delta/AC precheck gate at T2 is almost always a better and easier option in the morning from my experiences.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Wait...the 1K check-in area doesn't require one to have their BP "looked at" for PreCheck before going into the PreCheck line? I never check a bag at ORD and I'm flying out of ORD today. Maybe I'll have to try this.

-RM
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by BThumme
The Delta/AC precheck gate at T2 is almost always a better and easier option in the morning from my experiences.
Count me as another person who religiously tells the Uber driver to pass T1 for T2 during the morning busy period. I don't think I've ever had more than 4-5 people in front of me at the T2 pre line.
bmacke and ORDtoAnywhere like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Wait...the 1K check-in area doesn't require one to have their BP "looked at" for PreCheck before going into the PreCheck line? I never check a bag at ORD and I'm flying out of ORD today. Maybe I'll have to try this.

-RM

There's usually someone standing right at the entrance of PreCheck, which is right where 1K/Polaris dumps out. Normally the ID check is still there even when the line is extended down the terminal so my guess is this was an unusual event.

Also, if you manage to get to the ID check, you'll likely be turned away at that point if you don't have PreCheck so I wouldn't advise trying.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Last week I uncharacteristically had a bag to check and went to the 1K check-in right next to the pre-check at the far left of Term 1 (closest to Term 2). I also noticed that there was an exit from the check-in area that opened just past the TSA BP checker. There was no back-up or lines but the BP checker was pre-occupied with a family and I walked right into the empty queue and headed straight to the TSA agent at the podium.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
​​​​​​
RM:

​​​​​​My BP still got "looked at", but thanks to using 1K line, it got "looked at" first. I highly recommend this area now (if not using T2 as otherwise discussed).
msg75 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by msg75
I also noticed that there was an exit from the check-in area that opened just past the TSA BP checker. There was no back-up or lines but the BP checker was pre-occupied with a family and I walked right into the empty queue and headed straight to the TSA agent at the podium.
When we check-in for Polaris flights, we use that exit from the check-in area but the TSA BP checker usually turns around . Sometimes a verbal assurance that we are TSA PRE is enough but sometimes they want to read it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by bmacke
There's usually someone standing right at the entrance of PreCheck, which is right where 1K/Polaris dumps out. Normally the ID check is still there even when the line is extended down the terminal so my guess is this was an unusual event. Also, if you manage to get to the ID check, you'll likely be turned away at that point if you don't have PreCheck so I wouldn't advise trying.
Sorry. To be clear I have PreCheck.

Originally Posted by onthesam
​​​​​​
​​​​​​My BP still got "looked at", but thanks to using 1K line, it got "looked at" first. I highly recommend this area now (if not using T2 as otherwise discussed).
Thanks. This is helpful. I'll try it today and enter through the 1K check-in area if there's a line for someone to check my PreCheck mark on the BP.

-RM
bmacke likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Sometimes I get past the front line checker because they are distracted but they always check at the end of the line and I've seen them turn people away.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I'd love to see EWR open the GS TSA lane to 1K's (even if it's just during the shutdown). I've never seen more than 3-4 people use that lane at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.