Wiki Posts
Search

A319 F capacity: why not increase it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
A319 F capacity: why not increase it?

Why doesn’t UA increase F seating from 8 to 12 or 16? It’s appalling when regional jets like 175/190 have more F capacity than this mainline aircraft!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Why doesn’t UA increase F seating from 8 to 12 or 16? It’s appalling when regional jets like 175/190 have more F capacity than this mainline aircraft!
"Appalling?" The E175 is a much more comfortable aircraft than the A319, but the reason that it has more F capacity than the A319 is simple: United has a clause in their pilots' contract that limits the number of seats on regional jets to 76. If United could replace half of the first class cabin on the E175 with three more rows of coach, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

The answer to your question is simple: UA uses the A319 for missions where they don't feel they can sell more than 8 F seats profitably. Putting in four more F seats would require a dramatic reconfiguration in the rest of the plane and result in 12 fewer Y seats (or 6 fewer Y seats and no E+).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree! UA should adopt the Euro-Biz model and just move the curtain back when needed!
tryathlete and 330 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:01 pm

So more people can upgrade in to it for free on a CPU?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you finding yourself unable to purchase full F tickets on UA 319's?

Even if the pitch were the same, every additional row of 4 F seats replaces 6 Y seats. And the pitch differential bumps that ratio down. Unless you have data to support the proposition that UA is better off selling 4F than 6Y for your route, this is a non-starter and a poor idea.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:36 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Because Apple doesn't buy that many A319 routes?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
...The answer to your question is simple: UA uses the A319 for missions where they don't feel they can sell more than 8 F seats profitably. Putting in four more F seats would require a dramatic reconfiguration in the rest of the plane and result in 12 fewer Y seats (or 6 fewer Y seats and no E+).
I would question more why they assign certain planes to certain routes. Flying out of PHL, I notice PHL-ORD, PHL-IAH, PHL-DEN, I get a healthy mix of 737s, A319/20. Flying PHL-SFO, it seems to be predominantly A319. (This is based on my memory, I'm sure someone will pull the actual data and prove me wrong ) One would ASSUME that a longer flight means more people willing to purchase F thus the need for more F seats. I nearly always get upgraded going to ORD. Maybe 50% on IAH, DEN, Nearly 0% to SFO.

Yes, you configure the seats to whatever configuration you think is most profitable, but then you should carry that over to match the routes with the demand. I guess the later is alot harder to do.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:39 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I would settle for useful bin space in F on the 319, but as I have said in other threads. the 175 is much better aircraft in F than the 319 IMO
entropy, higher_flyer and halls120 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Are you finding yourself unable to purchase full F tickets on UA 319's?.
If row 2 on an A319 is full I’ll often lean to another routing. To me there are only 4 seats worth buying on this plane. And even then you have to be very diligent about boarding on time to avoid having roll-aboards behind several
rows.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
One would ASSUME that a longer flight means more people willing to purchase F thus the need for more F seats.
They need the passengers in Y too. If they sell 4 additional F seats but have to carry an additional 18 empty seats, the added costs may make it uneconomical. (And that's assuming these 4 passengers are new, and not merely buy-ups from Y).

It's also possible that while a larger plane might be profitable on SFO-PHL, it's more profitable elsewhere. Aircraft utilization is very much an art.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA uses the A319 for missions where they don't feel they can sell more than 8 F seats profitably.
Not sure that is true these days, but the die was cast long ago with the 319s, and I agree they're not going to reconfigure them just to add an extra row of F.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
UA uses the A319 for missions where they don't feel they can sell more than 8 F seats profitably.
Range might also be a factor, the A319 has a range of about 300 miles longer than the A320 which would really help on the PHL-SFO route which is pretty close to the limits with reserves. Not sure what the longest A320 UA route is, anyone knows? Other carriers fly longer routes, but perhaps those are sparser configs (e.g. JetBlue transcontinental).
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:48 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
For some reason the sentiment of the OP makes me think of a possible UA reaction:
Air liberté : Le rideau - Culture Pub
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
I agree! UA should adopt the Euro-Biz model and just move the curtain back when needed!
And then passengers would complain about the fact that First Class is really not First Class.
walkerci, windscar and delpiero223 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:12 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TomMM
Absolutely not! If you're sitting in the front row(s) of coach and the curtain moves, you get bumped to the [worst] seat at the back of the plane. Much, much better to know exactly what seats are available when you book and select.
windscar likes this.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jan 16, 2019 at 7:06 am Reason: Masked profanity clean up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.