Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Q4/Full Year 2018 Results/Conference Call 16 Jan 2019

UA Q4/Full Year 2018 Results/Conference Call 16 Jan 2019

Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by williambruno1975
Hehe me too ... my intended audience are those who claim soviet gulags and North Korean labor camps are better than flying UA yet refuse to leave Hahahha

The other thing is that UA continues to fly more passenger-friendly, more spacious Y configurations (767s) over the Atlantic, yet it saw yield contraction in that geography in 4Q (5%).

OTOH, United's objectively least-comfortable Y cabins (787, 77W, reconfigured 772) are mostly deployed across the Pacific, with numbers increasing, and that region outperformed, with 4% yoy capacity growth, 4.5% better PRASM and 4.2% better yields in the 4Q vs. 2017. DL, conversely, grew only 1.2% TPAC, with a .2% decline in unit revenue and 2.5% better yields, despite having arguably better cabin products.

I'm not necessarily mounting a defense of uncomfortable Y cabins (I too actively avoid), but rather am trying to highlight the difficulty of extrapolating numbers to support arguments in favor of a somewhat tenuous correlation.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
For equipment, as long as it's not a CRJ200, I don't care. I enjoy the E170/175, but the 145 is fine for this flight to be honest. It's short enough that it doesn't matter.
But for frequency, that I care about quite a bit. It's nice to have the early morning and afternoon options for the outbound to CMH, and the same - late afternoon and early morning return to EWR are great. Adding an 11pm departure CMH-EWR (post-client-dinner) would save me a bunch of hotel overnights, but I don't see that in the cards....

As long as I don't have to hop around, I'll be fine. I remember a time when EWR-CLE-CMH was the way to get there. Don't want to go back.
Be interesting to hear if you see any similar impacts at CMH. EWR seems to keep the E145s instead of the dreaded CR2s, so that is a plus. But there is definitely some movement around fleet utilization. The 50% cut in DAY frequency hurt personally, though the schedule they did keep at least makes sense. (Early AM flight to NYC, late night return to DAY).

I would think CVG - NYC would be a business-heavy enough route to keep at least 2-cabin RJs...if not mainline. And anecdotally, there were certainly FC tickets being sold.
But apparently not...
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
The other thing is that UA continues to fly more passenger-friendly, more spacious Y configurations (767s) over the Atlantic, yet it saw yield contraction in that geography in 4Q (5%).

OTOH, United's objectively least-comfortable Y cabins (787, 77W, reconfigured 772) are mostly deployed across the Pacific, with numbers increasing, and that region outperformed, with 4% yoy capacity growth, 4.5% better PRASM and 4.2% better yields in the 4Q vs. 2017. DL, conversely, grew only 1.2% TPAC, with a .2% decline in unit revenue and 2.5% better yields, despite having arguably better cabin products.

I'm not necessarily mounting a defense of uncomfortable Y cabins (I too actively avoid), but rather am trying to highlight the difficulty of extrapolating numbers to support arguments in favor of a somewhat tenuous correlation.
rumor has it the last 767 are going to get a much larger business class.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mellon
rumor has it the last 767 are going to get a much larger business class.
No rumor... once N660UA comes out of the shop, the next 17 763ERs (the remaining 763ERs that won't be retired in the next few years) to be reconfigured in the Polaris layout will have in the '76L' configuration with 46 business class seats and Premium Plus (premium economy).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.