Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Why aren't UA execs ashamed when Ethiopian Airlines have better meals in coach?

Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by revigik
They did that - it's called the Polaris Lounge, Polaris seat investment, Premium Economy. You certainly have options to pay more for a better experience. However, if you want to buy a cheap fare to get you from A-B, that's what you get!
Originally Posted by DCP2016
This paragraph makes no sense whatsoever.

When a company operates a route with no competitors and one flight a day, there is ZERO incentive for them to offer low fares, good food, good service etc because there is only one choice - you either take it or you don't. Yet Ethiopian still chooses to put forward a good product.

Compare that to NYC-LAX or SFO to Asia where there are MULTIPLE air carriers serving the same routes. United SHOULD be putting forward their "best product" to lure others towards them, they choose not to.

This goes back to the larger argument of how brand loyalty/customer loyalty is dead here in the US. This is just another example.
Actually, my economics professors taught me that the monopoly equilibrium was high price, high level of service.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Can anyone name a large international airline in the top 15 that offer a better Y international meal service than UA? Would be interested to hear either way!

-James
SQ, ANA, EVA, China Airlines, Thai, NZ, QF.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
I'm pretty sure that UA execs would be ashamed to hear UA economy meal service reviewed favorably with respect to any other airline. That wouldn't go over well with the Wall Street analysts.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:42 pm

I also must question the premise of this post. What benefit (if any) would there be if UA really pulled up their socks and improved meal service, on board amenities, crew friendliness, milage accrual, etc? Suppose also in this magical world that these improvements did not most the cost of the ticket by one penny. There's no doubt there would be a cost associated to all of those things but the benefit is unclear. At the end of the day most people will fly the airline that's the cheapest at the time, offers the best connections/routing options and/or is part of their company's contract. That being said, there are small things UA could do which would cost them nothing and would earn them kudos, namely providing more friendly on-board service and keeping their cabins clean!

-James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Actually, my economics professors taught me that the monopoly equilibrium was high price, high level of service.
Delta is a good example of this in all the small markets they serve...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:30 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
I don't disagree with what OP says about United food - although I personally am OK with it.
However, I would point out that all of the US airlines I have used - primarily AA and UA - are in the same category while almost all foreign airlines have immensely better food, service and so forth. And that's even comparing domestic foreign flights on foreign carriers vs. international flights out of the US by UA/AA.
That's capitalism for you...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
Originally Posted by MattAus
Exactly! Ethiopian is a quality airline. United is not.
I wouldn't go that far. At least not for their Y product. I've flown ET on multiple occasions over the years including quite recently and it was not a quality product. The IFE is very limited and the food was bad. I even turned down a meal on my last flight.
Luckily service isn't that important to me.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, MileagePlus, Premier
Simple!! They could not care less!!

I have not flown ua since almost 2 years ago---i tired of their "culinary" slop; and then they stole my mileage....
I have no use for ua anymore....
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Goodness, imagine going without food for 14 hours!
The horror...civilisation is surely ending!
If things are so bad I guess it’s either that, eat before you board or take your own.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VA
Originally Posted by willcoop
I wouldn't go that far. At least not for their Y product. I've flown ET on multiple occasions over the years including quite recently and it was not a quality product. The IFE is very limited and the food was bad. I even turned down a meal on my last flight.
Luckily service isn't that important to me.
​​​​​​
My experiences with ET have been very good. I've had good meals and found the service great. YMMV, of course!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA
A lot of foreign flag carriers get government subsidies that translate to excellent catering and service onboard. This works in that nation's favor because tourists will have a positive impression of their airline and therefore the country itself. For example, I like to fly ANA because their service is wonderful.

On the other hand, the reregulation of the US air industry that happened in the 1970s has created a race to the bottom of chasing ever cheaper, unbundled fares. US carriers aren't thinking of national prestige, all they care about are their bottom lines.
PACLipper likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by vaguba
On the other hand, the reregulation of the US air industry that happened in the 1970s has created a race to the bottom of chasing ever cheaper, unbundled fares. US carriers aren't thinking of national prestige, all they care about are their bottom lines.
...And I don't care one bit! So long as I'm earning PQMs and accessing my Premier benefits that's all that matters!

-James
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
1/29/2019 Ethiopian JNB to ADD 5 1/2 hour flight Light Lunch Meal 1/2

narvik likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
1/29/2019 Ethiopian JNB to ADD 5 1/2 hour flight Light Lunch Meal 2/2

Food was outstanding for this 5 1/2 hour intercontinental flight. Service was good and FA friendly.

I have photos from the 10+hour ADD to PEK flight later in the week.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 29, 2019 at 7:54 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
As someone who flies UA from time to time, the main reason why Ill be on UA is due to Price or Schedule.

I hold top tier status with AA, but if UA will be thousands of dollars cheaper, I will fly UA or its a route where UA is the only nonstop in town and Im really time sensitive, then UA it is.

i could care less about onboard service, I care about getting where I need to get to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.