Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How often do you complain about the Wifi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you complain about the Wifi?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I have a global subscription. I don't expect connectivity between the Philippines and Japan, Greenland and St. Johns/Maine, Hawaii and Pacific atolls, and other bits of unpopulated vast oceans. I'm also happy if I get connectivity 50% of the time.

In the past year, I have complained twice and received ETCs. But I don't think it's really worth complaining. I want to reserve my complaints for real stuff -- like when I sat on a wet seat! Or there's trash in the front pocket.
On the TPAC flights and flights in and out of Hawaii the FAs will often announce to not waste your time, effort, and money on the wi-fi as the service is "spotty at best".
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Cant you just disconnect for the 2-3 hours? I find my time in the air quite peaceful without internet.
I would rather disconnect when I am home with friends and family. When in prison in an aluminum tube, might as well work if possible. Get the work done then so I can take Friday off.

I do think though that air wifi is marginal and one should not expect much. I try to have work I can do off-line setup prioer to the flight.
dok_indo and AirMiles2001 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by prometa

Others have reported that after a certain number of complaints, the ETCs will stop. I stopped filing customer care complaints some time ago but will request a refund if it doesn’t work greater than 50% of the flight. They always refund (without any confirmation).

I’ve noticed that since the 25% explorer card discount came into effect WiFi prices are 25% higher. But, WiFi has also been somewhat faster since, so perhaps UA pricing was too low relative to demand.
Yes, I thought I hit this wall last year when i did not get an ETC for one of my complaints. However, the next 2 resulted in ETC's.

Alot of the comments here are directed to just getting refunds for per flight access fees. I get it, but ETC comp is the only real compensation for a subscriber, as UA will not refund your subscription fee.

I think I might go the ala carte route next year, as it might be cheaper to only pay for the wifi sessions that work & request refunds on the ones that do not.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Cant you just disconnect for the 2-3 hours? I find my time in the air quite peaceful without internet.
No, not on a Monday going to work. I am an consultant and get paid by the hour so if I don't get 2-3 hours done on the plane I just have to make up for it in the evening. The only flight for me to this current destination is slap bang during the middle of the day so I have to be productive. The alternative is to fly on a Sunday and I don't want that.

I don't have the same complaint if I am going on vacation or if its a weekend flight.

Thanks, some good responses here. I've never had a problem getting it refunded but for me the bigger issue is the lack of a valuable and advertised service. As others have mentioned the other airlines seem to have the quality and reliability at a higher level.

I think I am going to take a short break from complaining and see if they get it improved. One of the responses I got did mention they were performing new tests on it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:06 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I've given up trying to use it and no longer try. It is truly awful most of the time and I can't be bothered to muck around trying to get stuff done.
AirMiles2001 and cardinal98 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
A flight where I don't complain about the wifi? I hadn't considered that...
Xyzzy, rch4u, AirMiles2001 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
I usually pay with miles, I'd say 75% of the time it is useless. About half the time I complain; they always give the miles back. United's wifi is really awful.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Had a routine going of buying wifi, type out some emails, attempt to send, usually fail to send, then submit the complaint and get reimbursed, then entering a negative out the business expense to my company after getting UA's reimbursement. Realized I was wasting more time doing this process than actually work getting done on the plane and just plan to not have internet now.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Not to be contrary just to be contrary -- but I've found the wifi to be sufficient for periodic e-mails, communication and (non-streaming service) downloads. 90% the time it works sufficiently for me to be as productive as I need to be while in the air. This includes international travel. I've never expected it to work well for a stable VPN or remote desktop session.

Instagram no longer works reliably. So what?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
My last flight on Jan 11th from LON to IAH I paid about $30 for the full flight. The WiFi worked great for about 3 hours and let me get caught up on my work. The rest of flight it was spotty at best. I didn’t request a refund because actually it was one of my best experiences on United’s WiFi for a long time.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Alot of the comments here are directed to just getting refunds for per flight access fees. I get it, but ETC comp is the only real compensation for a subscriber, as UA will not refund your subscription fee.
I was able to get a full refund of monthly north america subscription when I requested at one point last year. In the notes of the wifi refund request, I wrote down here are the handful of flights during the past 30days of subscription where wifi was inoperable.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I complain about 40% of the time I pay for the wi-fi. The resolution each time was to refund the fee in full. Must be bad since United has a special web page just to request refunds for wifi!
For me, I have a higher expectation than suggested above. For the time after payment til passing 10,000 feet in descent, I expect it to work at least 75% of the time.
It's pretty amazing how United has trained us to have such low standards. In no other industry would anyone be satisfied with something working just 75% of the time. With United, that's a "higher expectation."
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by theboss7593
I agree with you about not wanting to moan but think of it this way, when I fly on Jetblue I don't have a problem with the wifi. When I fly on Delta I don't have a problem with the wifi. Most of the time when I fly on AA I don't have a problem with the wifi. But whenever I fly with United I have a problem 50-75% of the time. To load an email and take a minute when it's just in HTML is unacceptable. If other airlines can get it right so can United, complain otherwise they don't know or think they are doing something wrong. (although I'm sure they are)
I just get the impression that onboard wifi equipment is an after-thought for United, not a priority for maintenance work, and just not that important - it works, it doesn't work, who cares.

I agree with you - AA, DL, AC, NH, BR - I've flown all of these airlines in the past year and found a consistent, working wifi system with reasonable pricing (well, if you count free Gogo passes through Amex) - on United, the wifi has either been unusably slow, or it just doesn't work, and that part has been consistent.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
I also find I request a refund around 40% of the time that I purchase wifi. It has to be pretty bad before I'll do that, so the 40% is a sad comment on the functionality of UA's wifi.

I don't complain about wifi being inoperable. It's never really been a surprise to me.
This. I don't complain, I just request a refund when the service isn't available after I've paid for it.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
It is the rare occasion I can get the WiFi to work. I no longer write into United as although the ETCs were a nice touch it really is not the issue.

Fortunately on my (delayed) LAS-SFO flight it is a 737 and we have Direct TV. United has made it available to us FOC.
AirMiles2001 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.