Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How often do you complain about the Wifi?

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP

I seem to be having a really bad run on the wifi. I have a 2-3 hour flight that I take twice a week and having usable wifi is very valuable due to the duration. I also have 45 minute flight twice a week and I don't care if the wifi works or not. I've found myself having to write to 1Kvoice for almost every flight recently because the wifi is unusable. I've been getting various amounts of compensation but at the end of the day I would prefer to have a usable internet for those 2-3 hours.

I am starting to feel like a real moaner writing in after almost every flight but I do appreciate the compensation. Do you complain every-time the wifi fails or just now and again? I am about to start to have to use a form letter myself because I am running out of creative ways to describe the issue.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never have bought wifi access, as I am happy to be disconnected for several (even tens of) hours.

However, if I did pay for wifi access and it did not work, I would see the appropriate resolution as a refund of the fee paid, and I would request that. (Harder to say how you account for that if you bought a subscription.)
Xyzzy and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I've only bought wifi once, as far as I can remember. UA refunded the purchase price promptly when I complained that it was unusably slow.

So the short answer to your question would be "every time, so far."
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I have the yearly domestic subscription & I don't complain nearly as much as I should. Last year I received about $500 in ETC's for all my complaints and about 15,000 in miles. So the "cost" of the subscription plus some was returned to me. I definitely don't want to sound like a whiner due to the excessive complaints, but the subscription is not cheap and I want to work when I am on the plane each week.

My general rule is that the flight needs to be 2+ hours and the wifi needs to be inop for the entire flight. If it comes on for 30 minutes, then it "worked". Even using that strategy, there have been a few times I just didn't mess with sending in a complaint. I know I am leaving ETC's on the table

I honestly don't see how UA will ever make money off of me on WIFI if they keep sending me $75-200 ETC's everytime the wifi is down on an entire flight.
120 segments last year, so plenty of opportunities for it not to work.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
I agree with you about not wanting to moan but think of it this way, when I fly on Jetblue I don't have a problem with the wifi. When I fly on Delta I don't have a problem with the wifi. Most of the time when I fly on AA I don't have a problem with the wifi. But whenever I fly with United I have a problem 50-75% of the time. To load an email and take a minute when it's just in HTML is unacceptable. If other airlines can get it right so can United, complain otherwise they don't know or think they are doing something wrong. (although I'm sure they are)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I complain about 40% of the time I pay for the wi-fi. The resolution each time was to refund the fee in full. Must be bad since United has a special web page just to request refunds for wifi!
For me, I have a higher expectation than suggested above. For the time after payment til passing 10,000 feet in descent, I expect it to work at least 75% of the time.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:54 pm

I don't fly United that often, but end up complaining and getting a refund for the WiFi over half the time I pay for it. I'm generally "satisfied" enough not to complain when it works for half of the time above 10,000 feet, but for whatever reason United seems mostly incapable of pulling that off. (And I agree with others that I'm generally pretty happy with WiFi service on other airlines.)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I have the yearly domestic subscription & I don't complain nearly as much as I should. Last year I received about $500 in ETC's for all my complaints and about 15,000 in miles. So the "cost" of the subscription plus some was returned to me. I definitely don't want to sound like a whiner due to the excessive complaints, but the subscription is not cheap and I want to work when I am on the plane each week.

My general rule is that the flight needs to be 2+ hours and the wifi needs to be inop for the entire flight. If it comes on for 30 minutes, then it "worked". Even using that strategy, there have been a few times I just didn't mess with sending in a complaint. I know I am leaving ETC's on the table

I honestly don't see how UA will ever make money off of me on WIFI if they keep sending me $75-200 ETC's everytime the wifi is down on an entire flight.
120 segments last year, so plenty of opportunities for it not to work.
Others have reported that after a certain number of complaints, the ETCs will stop. I stopped filing customer care complaints some time ago but will request a refund if it doesnt work greater than 50% of the flight. They always refund (without any confirmation).

Ive noticed that since the 25% explorer card discount came into effect WiFi prices are 25% higher. But, WiFi has also been somewhat faster since, so perhaps UA pricing was too low relative to demand.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I too find the wifi performance to be too hit-or-miss for my tastes, but I still bite quite regularly (usually a business expense). I only occasionally remember to complain. To their credit, I've been proactively refunded my wifi charge on a few occasions without my involvement. I'm not sure if this is an automatic system based on logged performance, or if one or more complaints by other passengers contributes to a blanket refund.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by prometa

Others have reported that after a certain number of complaints, the ETCs will stop.
That could be me, I haven't gotten an ETC for over a year. I am so sick of the lousy wi-fi that I now rarely use it. Recent SFO-IAH flight I did actually TRY to use it and it was ridiculously bad and I did indeed get a refund. I see it now as more hassle than it is worth.. Plus my work tends to need robust internet speeds and you not going to get that in the air (at least not yet).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I seem to be having a really bad run on the wifi. I have a 2-3 hour flight that I take twice a week and having usable wifi is very valuable due to the duration. I also have 45 minute flight twice a week and I don't care if the wifi works or not. I've found myself having to write to 1Kvoice for almost every flight recently because the wifi is unusable. I've been getting various amounts of compensation but at the end of the day I would prefer to have a usable internet for those 2-3 hours.

I am starting to feel like a real moaner writing in after almost every flight but I do appreciate the compensation. Do you complain every-time the wifi fails or just now and again? I am about to start to have to use a form letter myself because I am running out of creative ways to describe the issue.
Cant you just disconnect for the 2-3 hours? I find my time in the air quite peaceful without internet.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I also find I request a refund around 40% of the time that I purchase wifi. It has to be pretty bad before I'll do that, so the 40% is a sad comment on the functionality of UA's wifi.

I don't complain about wifi being inoperable. It's never really been a surprise to me.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:24 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hertz PC
I have the annual subscription. In looking back at my e-mail I have complained about inop Wi-Fi a dozen times over the past two years. 10 of those 12 times they sent me an e-cert. Of my last 6 flights (so far this year) the Wi-Fi has only worked on one of them. I really gave up on reaching out at some point in Q3 of last year. I just don't even want to go through that process.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
Do you complain every-time the wifi fails or just now and again? I am about to start to have to use a form letter myself because I am running out of creative ways to describe the issue.
Not as often as I should
AirMiles2001 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:04 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I have a global subscription. I don't expect connectivity between the Philippines and Japan, Greenland and St. Johns/Maine, Hawaii and Pacific atolls, and other bits of unpopulated vast oceans. I'm also happy if I get connectivity 50% of the time.

In the past year, I have complained twice and received ETCs. But I don't think it's really worth complaining. I want to reserve my complaints for real stuff -- like when I sat on a wet seat! Or there's trash in the front pocket.
AirMiles2001 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.