Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GPU Upgrades for aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single Global Premier Upgrade request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris® business class cabin.
  • If you’d like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin without requiring an additional Global Premier Upgrade.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using one Global Premier Upgrade.
  • United Polaris business class upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
  • There will be no fare class restriction, other than for Basic Economy and Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed) tickets, for members who have purchased a United Economy seat and request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat, and no fare class restriction for members who have purchased a United® Premium Plus seat and request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • Members requesting to move to a United® Premium Plus seat only and who have domestic portions of their itinerary will not be automatically waitlisted for United First. To be waitlisted for United First on domestic portions of an international itinerary, use your Global Premier Upgrade to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
Mileage Upgrades For aircraft with United® Premium Plus:
  • System-wide, all MileagePlus members seated in United Economy can use a single MileagePlus Upgrade Award request to move to a United® Premium Plus seat or upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you'd like to be considered for a move to a United® Premium Plus seat or for an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, we’ll move you to the first available seat. If the first available seat is a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll continue to look for space in the United Polaris business class cabin.
  • If you requested an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin, and we moved you to a United® Premium Plus seat, we’ll refund the difference in co-pay and miles after departure.
  • Members requesting a MileagePlus Upgrade Award to a United® Premium Plus seat only will not be waitlisted for United First on portions of their itinerary that do not contain United® Premium Plus.
  • Members who have purchased United® Premium Plus upgrade-eligible fares will also be able to request an upgrade to the United Polaris business class cabin using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award.
  • United Polaris business class cabin upgrade requests for members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats will be processed in priority order first, followed by upgrade requests for members who have purchased United Economy seats. Learn more about upgrade priority order.
Print Wikipost

How does PlusPoints / Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?

Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Question on GPU usage ... example EWR-CDG, if the ticket fare is class K, I can still apply a GPU to try and move from economy to Premium Plus? And it needs R space for successful upgrade? A recent TPG article seems to suggest K fare is upgradeable.

It also appears I can take that class K and buy up to Premium Plus, which makes it R, then I can apply a GPU for waitlist to business - something I can't do with K economy. Do I make sense?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by miasmal
Question on GPU usage ... example EWR-CDG, if the ticket fare is class K, I can still apply a GPU to try and move from economy to Premium Plus? And it needs R space for successful upgrade? A recent TPG article seems to suggest K fare is upgradeable.
Yes, but you need RN space to clear (not R).

It also appears I can take that class K and buy up to Premium Plus, which makes it R, then I can apply a GPU for waitlist to business - something I can't do with K economy. Do I make sense?
Yes, if you use cash to change your booking code to R you should be able to use a GPU to waitlist for Polaris.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by findark

Yes, if you use cash to change your booking code to R you should be able to use a GPU to waitlist for Polaris.
Edited.
Above is 💯 correct.

Last edited by Kleinnaf; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
i believe OP was asking once the GPU clears into RN can OP use an additional GPU to now upgrade to J, which the answer is no AFAIK.
I think that you misunderstood what the Op wanted to do as the OP stated: "....buy up to Premium Plus". This suggests that it's a cash transaction.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think that you misunderstood what the Op wanted to do as the OP stated: "....buy up to Premium Plus". This suggests that it's a cash transaction.
Yes. My mistake
Edited.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Yes I realize that once I go from economy K to Premium Plus RN (thanks for that info) - it won't go any further. Looks like successful cash purchase from economy K to Premium Plus R will then allow GPU usage ... thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:41 pm

Yes I realize that once I go from economy K to Premium Plus RN (thanks for that info) - it won't go any further. Looks like successful cash purchase from economy K to Premium Plus R will then allow GPU usage ... thanks!
If RN is available, why not upfare to W And apply the GPU? Will confirm you in PE and waitlist for Polaris.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
If RN is available, why not upfare to W And apply the GPU? Will confirm you in PE and waitlist for Polaris.
if the fare difference between R and W is not big, just buy up to R and increase the Polaris chance. If PP is good enough with OP, stay with K and upgrade to PP with a GPU.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I originally had a RT ticket from IAH-SFO-HKG where my changes for PZ upgrade were dwindling by the day. Luckily, coworkers from another country did not want to meet in HKG due to “unsafe conditions due to riots” (which I thought was completely overblown but whatever). We switched to TPE and surprisingly, I was able to book the RT in W outbound and R return (all for $1500 a week before trip) and I was able to confirm PZ on all but SFO-IAH segment immediately. I guess this was a blessing in disguise.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have been reluctant to waitlist to PP using a GPU with the secondary waitlist to Polaris mainly because I was not convinced the United IT system would cope with the "double" upgrade.

My first attempt at using a GPU from economy to Polaris, albeit there was PP on the flights, I ended up upfaring to PP and then there was an automatic upgrade to Polaris at the time of the upfare (albeit PZ was displaying as 0 - surprised the CS agent and me).

My first attempt at using a GPU from PP to Polaris was a no go. SFO-FRA which I understand is a hard route to get PZ and PP was a comfortable ride.

However, I have booked a PQD run to HKG and the coach fare is ridiculously cheap (I suspect due to the current political environment) but covered the missing PQD to make 1K for 2020. PP was quite a hefty price tag (unlike other instances where W is often more than R). So I have done the double GPU waitlist as PP for 15 hours is much better than 10 across in coach, and same for the return.

I am looking for reports that people have been successful with the double upgrade using their GPUs.
So no one on FT has been successful for the double upgrade?

A thread on successful double upgrades using GPUs would be good.

I still would not have booked the K fare in this instance as I need the PQD but going forward it will be good to know little opportunity for the double upgrade. K fares with GPU will likely be my choice.

At least on the reservation it is showing blank seats twice (presumably for PP and Polaris) vs the usual one set of blank seats for a waitlisted upgrade to Polaris.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM

A thread on successful double upgrades using GPUs would be good.

I still would not have booked the K fare in this instance as I need the PQD but going forward it will be good to know little opportunity for the double upgrade. K fares with GPU will likely be my choice.

At least on the reservation it is showing blank seats twice (presumably for PP and Polaris) vs the usual one set of blank seats for a waitlisted upgrade to Polaris.
I personally have not attempted the double upgrade.

However, I have seen such double upgrades happen with a co-worker, and anecdotally seen them happen on the app in the battlefield, although that is less often since usually only two seats are available to be upgraded on the app by T-60 on the routes I fly..

In this case, I am confident that the IT works. In practice, unless you are clearing way before the battlefield, those UG are going to those in the P+ cabin who purchased P+, not those that upgraded from Y.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect few people have tried it.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

I am looking for reports that people have been successful with the double upgrade using their GPUs.
SFO-AKL W-class upgraded to Prem Eco @ booking and to Polaris at T-24.
jsloan, RobOnLI and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: United
Upgrade from UA Economy Premium Plus to Polaris

What can I (silver tier) do to get upgraded from a paid fare R on an international 777-300ER Economy Premium Plus to the Polaris?
I do not see an option to even request a complementary upgrade, and the only two options that are available to me are with cash or miles+cash, both are no bargain to say the least.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by uela
What can I (silver tier) do to get upgraded from a paid fare R on an international 777-300ER Economy Premium Plus to the Polaris?
I do not see an option to even request a complementary upgrade, and the only two options that are available to me are with cash or miles+cash, both are no bargain to say the least.
Outside of these flights, there are no complimentary upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.