Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Applying GPU Upgrade when switching award reservation to paid reservation

Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

I have existing award reservations where I applied GPUs for an upgrade. I want to switch some of these to paid reservations. There’s no PN or PZ availability right now. Do you know if this can still readily be done since I’ll be replacing award reservations on which the GPUs have already been applied?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The only way to know for sure is to call. Technically no, the UG would be put back ... but I am sure they can override this for a GS switching XN to W ... I would give that a shot.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Roka
I have existing award reservations where I applied GPUs for an upgrade. I want to switch some of these to paid reservations. There’s no PN or PZ availability right now. Do you know if this can still readily be done since I’ll be replacing award reservations on which the GPUs have already been applied?
Unless you are GS I didn't think you could apply instruments to award/mile reservation??
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
Unless you are GS I didn't think you could apply instruments to award/mile reservation??
Correct, only GS can apply instruments to award tickets.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Answering my own initial question, I had no difficulty switching from an award ticket with confirmed upgrade to a paid ticket with confirmed GPU/RPU upgrade even where there was no PN availability. I’ve done twice now with little to no difficulty.
jsloan and Kannai like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.