FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   New United Clubs for MSY and RDU, Renovated FLL and LGA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1950615-new-united-clubs-msy-rdu-renovated-fll-lga.html)

CMK10 Jan 12, 2019 7:47 am

New United Clubs for MSY and RDU, Renovated FLL and LGA

Buried at the bottom of this blog article's write up of the LAX Polaris Lounge: https://blog.wandr.me/2019/01/united...-united-clubs/ is the following:

In addressing the crowd CEO Oscar Munoz highlighted not only the new LAX facility but also four other lounges across the network that will open as new or be renewed in 2019.

The new terminal at New Orleans’s Louis Armstrong International Airport (MSY) will include a United Club, bringing passengers a new option to relax before their flight. Construction recently started and, while no specific opening date is set, United hopes to be ready at the time the new terminal opens or soon thereafter. Similarly, a new United Club lounge is coming at Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU). Construction is already underway. Again, no formal opening date target but it should be a matter of months, not years.

At New York City’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) the new central terminal will soon boast a new United Club. Among other benefits, the new lounge will be inside security, making it more convenient for travelers. Construction there is essentially complete. United is awaiting work on the rest of the new terminal for its opportunity to move into the new gates and new lounge.

Finally, United is also renovating its lounge in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (FLL) this year.

I can't find any other source or details but it's certainly a happy development for this RDU flyer. My guess is they'll use the former US Club space on the upper level near gates D1-3.

Vulcan Jan 12, 2019 9:01 am

Still nothing for TPA. It just gets busier and busier here and 5-6 gates always in use. I would even take a pop up lounge. Please.....

dordal Jan 12, 2019 9:11 am

Oh that is good news. I’m out in RDU not infrequently.

Kmxu Jan 12, 2019 9:15 am

The old FLL United Club was rather small and so is SNA (Orange Co) UC. It is about time to have more UCs in some medium size cities. RDU is a good start.

artvandalay Jan 12, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Vulcan (Post 30645327)
Still nothing for TPA. It just gets busier and busier here and 5-6 gates always in use. I would even take a pop up lounge. Please.....

Never understood this. TPA has almost twice as many pax as RDU.

ms_go Jan 12, 2019 9:49 am

Glad to hear about RDU. We have family there and are in and out a few times per year.

narvik Jan 12, 2019 9:57 am

On a recent trip MSY-EWR I was walking up-and-down the terminal looking for the United Club lounge....only to realize that there isn't one, much to my surprise.
Glad to hear UA is still investing in & expanding their lounge network!

(...maybe they have a couple of dollars to spare for EWR Club lounge expansion as well....or are the OTG earnings just too lucrative???)

GSunitedloyal Jan 12, 2019 10:23 am

RDU base so glad is finally coming! And yes United took over the old club!

CaptKornDog Jan 12, 2019 11:00 am

Very good news. Certainly didn't expect any "new" cities any time soon. Though TPA needs to be on the short list, I agree.

Love that FLL is finally getting a refresh as well.

PsiFighter37 Jan 12, 2019 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 30645369)
The old FLL United Club was rather small and so is SNA (Orange Co) UC. It is about time to have more UCs in some medium size cities. RDU is a good start.

That said, I really enjoyed the UC at SNA last time I was there. Probably get some good use in it when I transit there midweek next week.

PacificClipper Jan 12, 2019 9:57 pm

UA moves to the recently opened terminal at LGA in April I believe so the new club there is not far off. FLL has been under construction for a long while and should open soon. The RDU club has also been under construction for several months. MSY should open with the new terminal. There’s also the new club at the end of the C3 concourse at EWR that’s being built. As soon as that opens the C1 club needs to be next. Great news all around. However I agree that TPA is a glaring hole in the club network.

There are some head scratchers though. Not a single club at DEN or IAD have been remodeled. Considering DEN is the most profitable UA hub it seems odd.

Also UA will be moving to T3 at PHX. The press release and media coverage only mention the new Sky Club in the new concourse. No mention of UA occupying the former Sky Club space. Me thinks the PHX club may get dropped in the terminal move.

seat38a Jan 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by PacificClipper (Post 30647550)
UA moves to the recently opened terminal at LGA in April I believe so the new club there is not far off. FLL has been under construction for a long while and should open soon. The RDU club has also been under construction for several months. MSY should open with the new terminal. There’s also the new club at the end of the C3 concourse at EWR that’s being built. As soon as that opens the C1 club needs to be next. Great news all around. However I agree that TPA is a glaring hole in the club network.

There are some head scratchers though. Not a single club at DEN or IAD have been remodeled. Considering DEN is the most profitable UA hub it seems odd.

Also UA will be moving to T3 at PHX. The press release and media coverage only mention the new Sky Club in the new concourse. No mention of UA occupying the former Sky Club space. Me thinks the PHX club may get dropped in the terminal move.

Well if its already profitable, I guess they see no reason to spend money on it.

PsiFighter37 Jan 13, 2019 7:05 am

Originally Posted by seat38a (Post 30647675)
Well if its already profitable, I guess they see no reason to spend money on it.

At the very least the DEN UCs could use the same refresh that the UC around C74 at EWR got - replace all the furniture with the updated seats/tables that also have plenty of USB/power plugs.

EWR764 Jan 13, 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 30648572)
At the very least the DEN UCs could use the same refresh that the UC around C74 at EWR got - replace all the furniture with the updated seats/tables that also have plenty of USB/power plugs.

The DEN pair were some of the first clubs to have all furniture replaced, a few years ago.

manstein58 Jan 13, 2019 7:51 am

And bupkes for CLT. Very odd decision as traffic is there and UA operates out of a spanking new, nice terminal. Good opportunity to show up a competitor and steal some business. Very, very strange corporate behavior