Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Clubs for MSY and RDU, Renovated FLL and LGA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

New United Clubs for MSY and RDU, Renovated FLL and LGA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Never understood this. TPA has almost twice as many pax as RDU.
pax likely visiting a UA club?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Originally Posted by PacificClipper
Also UA will be moving to T3 at PHX. The press release and media coverage only mention the new Sky Club in the new concourse. No mention of UA occupying the former Sky Club space. Me thinks the PHX club may get dropped in the terminal move.
I hope not! I use that club a lot. There was an article in the AZ Republic in December about lounge changes at PHX that said United plans to build a lounge in T3; no timeline (although I think T3 is supposed to be done next year).
PacificClipper likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PacificClipper
FLL has been under construction for a long while and should open soon.
It's been at least 18 months, hasn't it?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
RDU? That's a change I like.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58
And bupkes for CLT. Very odd decision as traffic is there and UA operates out of a spanking new, nice terminal. Good opportunity to show up a competitor and steal some business. Very, very strange corporate behavior
I thought the new concourse was nicer than most clubs with plugs at each seat and plenty of space - at least better than the AA lounge there. It is odd that no airline besides AA has club space but I guess it's like DTW, SLC or MSP. Too concentrated in one airline - at least RDU there's more even market share. TPA is a head scratcher.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cfischer
pax likely visiting a UA club?
Enplanements:
RDU--1.183
MSY--1.427
TPA--2.036
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
For everyone wanting TPA, it could just as well be that United's internal studies show that even with a bigger enplanement, not enough people will buy a United Club membership to make it worthwhile. My guess is RDU has the Research Triangle with enough big spenders who are willing to shell out for club membership. Doing a quick search on business headquartered or with a significant presence in New Orleans shows much bigger companies than TPA.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
At the very least the DEN UCs could use the same refresh that the UC around C74 at EWR got - replace all the furniture with the updated seats/tables that also have plenty of USB/power plugs.
I was there June of last year and the clubs already have the same furnitures that United's newest club at LAX has.

LAX

DEN

Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I thought the new concourse was nicer than most clubs with plugs at each seat and plenty of space - at least better than the AA lounge there. It is odd that no airline besides AA has club space but I guess it's like DTW, SLC or MSP. Too concentrated in one airline - at least RDU there's more even market share. TPA is a head scratcher.
MSP has a United club. It doesn't have a kitchen though so the food selection is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago (plus soup.)

TPA is more of a leisure route so can see why they might put RDU first.

Could also be an issue of space - does the airport have a place for United to put a club even if they wanted to?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I am now RDU based - so very excited to hear about a club opening here. I’d assume it will be in the upper-level area that’s similar to where the Delta and American clubs are - but on the west end..?....
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
MSP has a United club. It doesn't have a kitchen though so the food selection is pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago (plus soup.)

TPA is more of a leisure route so can see why they might put RDU first.

Could also be an issue of space - does the airport have a place for United to put a club even if they wanted to?
Wow that old MSP Red Carpet Club is still there - figured it wasn’t long for the world after the merger.

Guess Medtronic / 3M connecting to Asia keeps it going.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
Buried at the bottom of this blog article's write up of the LAX Polaris Lounge: https://blog.wandr.me/2019/01/united...-united-clubs/ is the following:

I can't find any other source or details but it's certainly a happy development for this RDU flyer. My guess is they'll use the former US Club space on the upper level near gates D1-3.
The folks at RDU have been talking about a club there for at least 12 months , glad to see it materializing , Long way off the gates though as UA has got pushed down the bottom end with the ever expanding Frontier,
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:36 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Can't deny that TPA has a lot of tourists, but it also hosts a growing list of offices for recognizable companies with global and/or premium demand. Citi, McKinsey, Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Johnson & Johnson, Raymond James, Coke, and Jabil Circuit come to mind. DL and AA both offer lounges in TPA.

Lufthansa's almost-daily flight to FRA could add some alliance justification for a lounge (if it was in the same terminal).

Last edited by TBD; Jan 13, 2019 at 8:58 pm Reason: LH went to 6x, I think
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Wow that old MSP Red Carpet Club is still there - figured it wasn’t long for the world after the merger.

Guess Medtronic / 3M connecting to Asia keeps it going.
I think there is a strategic advantage to having a Club at your competitor's hub. Same with ATL, PHL, DFW, etc.

For everyone wanting TPA, it could just as well be that United's internal studies show that even with a bigger enplanement, not enough people will buy a United Club membership to make it worthwhile. My guess is RDU has the Research Triangle with enough big spenders who are willing to shell out for club membership. Doing a quick search on business headquartered or with a significant presence in New Orleans shows much bigger companies than TPA.
Either club memberships or premium int'l travel. Maybe more UA traffic out of RDU is connecting on J TATL/TPAC than out of TPA, and they think not offering UC access (since there is a Sky Club and Admirals Club) is enough to make them not competitive.

I mean offering some direct TATL service like AA and DL would also help...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by seat38a
I was there June of last year and the clubs already have the same furnitures that United's newest club at LAX has.
I stand corrected! I last spent time there in May 2017, and it looked dumpy as ever then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.