Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Clubs for MSY and RDU, Renovated FLL and LGA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

New United Clubs for MSY and RDU, Renovated FLL and LGA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
We each have our respective airports that don’t have clubs, but we wish had one. SLC for me. Maybe with the new airport I’ll not only get improvements in rental car experiences but a UA club as well!
EWR764, seat38a and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
QUOTE=TBD;30651266]Can't deny that TPA has a lot of tourists, but it also hosts a growing list of offices for recognizable companies with global and/or premium demand. Citi, McKinsey, Amgen, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Johnson & Johnson, Raymond James, Coke, and Jabil Circuit come to mind. DL and AA both offer lounges in TPA.

Lufthansa's almost-daily flight to FRA could add some alliance justification for a lounge (if it was in the same terminal).[/QUOTE]
Maybe those office's will grow and more fortune 500 companies will move in, but from everything that I'm reading, the current top employers of Tampa are Publix, Walmart and and a McDonals franchise. The rankings for the three are 1, 3 and 8 with the rest filled in with hospitals and and education.

Last edited by seat38a; Jan 15, 2019 at 12:11 am
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I do hope that the new clubs offer food choices like the LAX club and NOT like the SFO clubs. I was at the LAX club in December and they've really upped their game for the evening items. From what others have written, the LAX club has really upped the breakfast game as well.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Never understood this. TPA has almost twice as many pax as RDU.

a typically reliable source told me TPA is in the 2019 budget and should open next year.

Also so some interesting talk about a new terminal long term with the TPA authority covering the club there if one is built in A now.

unsurprisingly the space is where CO had once planed to put a P-club in TPA
artvandalay, narvik and dmurphynj like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ethan76

a typically reliable source told me TPA is in the 2019 budget and should open next year.

Also so some interesting talk about a new terminal long term with the TPA authority covering the club there if one is built in A now.

unsurprisingly the space is where CO had once planed to put a P-club in TPA
That’s great news! Now, if we could get a club in CMH..... my circuit would be complete. I’d have 100% coverage in my usual destinations.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I asked some United staff at RDU this morning. They say 3-6 months. That would be opening in March to June. Mention of permits and such as part of the timeframe.
From what I can see looking up into the space, it doesn’t appear any actual construction is happening yet. I’d think one could fit out a small-ish club in 3 months max of actual construction.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:07 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by seat38a
Maybe those office's will grow and more fortune 500 companies will move in, but from everything that I'm reading, the current top employers of Tampa are Publix, Walmart and and a McDonals franchise. The rankings for the three are 1, 3 and 8 with the rest filled in with hospitals and and education. I'm sure none of them are spending like this:
I don't think the top employer list is the right guideline. Publix is the local grocery store (with a near monopoly), so of course they employ a tremendous number of people. From what I can see, the other largest employers are hospitals and the government.
Similarly, Raleigh-Durham's top employers seem to be the local health system, the state, and the school system.
In New Orleans, four of the top five employers are healthcare systems.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by TBD
I don't think the top employer list is the right guideline. Publix is the local grocery store (with a near monopoly), so of course they employ a tremendous number of people. From what I can see, the other largest employers are hospitals and the government.
Similarly, Raleigh-Durham's top employers seem to be the local health system, the state, and the school system.
In New Orleans, four of the top five employers are healthcare systems.
RDU...... Has
SAS
Lenova / IBM-to a point the airport is discussing a direct China flight
Glaxo Smith Kline
Cisco
Plus the one's you mention, very diverse economy
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:30 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
RDU...... Has
SAS
Lenova / IBM-to a point the airport is discussing a direct China flight
Glaxo Smith Kline
Cisco
Plus the one's you mention, very diverse economy
That's my point, though. Of those, I think only SAS is "headquartered" in RDU. The rest are just big names with offices there. Exact same as Tampa.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Whenever I do travel to TPA its on business, so that would be nice.

I certainly appreciate the SNA club as well, despite being small.. I <3 SNA, much better than LAX...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
If the new Maple Leaf Lounge at LGA is an indicator of what the new United Club would be, it's on-track to be one of the better clubs in the system. The second floor, open ceiling/glass wall balcony design is similar to HKG United Club, and the UC's food is bound to be better than MLL (boiled eggs, pastries, and cereal for breakfast).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Wow that old MSP Red Carpet Club is still there - figured it wasn’t long for the world after the merger.

Guess Medtronic / 3M connecting to Asia keeps it going.
Heck... it wasn't supposed to be long for this world BEFORE the merger. It was supposed to be shut down around 08-09
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:23 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
There is no timeline on when the LGA gate move that would trigger the opening of the UC correct? The LGA club (and the number of times I have cleared security 2+ times during rolling delays) has been the nadir of my travel existence for far too long.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by TBD
That's my point, though. Of those, I think only SAS is "headquartered" in RDU. The rest are just big names with offices there. Exact same as Tampa.
True, though I think headcount is more important with the bigger firms , Cisco for instance has around the same (5000) as SAS, IBM/Lenova is 10,000 plus , GSK 3000 plus.
I was hoping UA would have done more at RDU as it now a distant no 4 in the major carriers.We will see
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
That’s great news about a lounge coming to MSY. We were stuck there yesterday for 6 hours due to the DC snowstorm, and didn’t even have the lounge option to fall back on. The horror! ��
Thank goodness for the football on TVs all around the terminal. Go Saints!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.