Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Well if there's any question as to whether it is or is not a big deal, it is:
https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/14/unite...gest-customer/
If you need to follow up and explain to your customer, yeah then it's a bit more than just, "oops, but no one cares" kind of thing.

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Jan 14, 2019 at 9:59 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I'm suspecting that the entire amount of money does not actually change hands. Part of the amount is probably paid in iPhones. I heard they just went to the 8.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Well if there's any question as to whether it is or is not a big deal, it is:
https://9to5mac.com/2019/01/14/unite...gest-customer/
If you need to follow up and explain to your customer, yeah then it's a bit more than just, "oops, but no one cares" kind of thing.
Ah, reading those comments I almost forgot UA is capable of running an airline.

"UA is horrible, why would apple choose them, go with Delta"
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
One of the largest companies in the world is spending a lot of money on one of the largest airlines in the world? I don't think this is shocking. Nor is it really a big blunder people make it out to be either for Apple or United.

If anything, it ups pressure on smaller corporations or businesses that are trying to negotiate better rates at UA. I could see a company with 5,000 employees demanding the world, and UA just needs to tell them, "well, Apple spends $150million, you barely scratch the surface. next."
jspira and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:55 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mellon
I was flying with an Apple Employee years ago and he said after 2 flights to PVG he gets GS. WOW sweet deal
The deal Salesforce has with UA is similar. One premium cabin domestic RT gets you gold, two international ones get you 1K. UA is an old pro at exploiting the cyclical SF Tech booms.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
One of the largest companies in the world is spending a lot of money on one of the largest airlines in the world? I don't think this is shocking. Nor is it really a big blunder people make it out to be either for Apple or United.

If anything, it ups pressure on smaller corporations or businesses that are trying to negotiate better rates at UA. I could see a company with 5,000 employees demanding the world, and UA just needs to tell them, "well, Apple spends $150million, you barely scratch the surface. next."
That's really not pressure, that's just copping attitude with customers and choosing that as a segment not to compete in. pretty much sums up the reason why WN exists and why businesses on their own spend fly int'l OAL. The pm UAL used to compete for these folks. but whatevs. next downturn it could be different.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
To those of you who say this is a non-issue, if you've ever worked with Apple (and companies like Amazon), you'll know that they are extremely secretive and don't like to have their company named in public--ever. It has nothing to do with the perception of how much money they spend, but all because they like to be in complete control of their brand and the outward mentions of their brand. I actually do think that either Tim or someone else from the C Suite probably got their counterpart at United engaged and gave them a piece of their mind.
chisquared, east_west and gmt4 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:06 pm

The reason I believe it's likely fake data is that the rules of publishing/presenting confidential information are that no less than 3 cohorts are included in any data/average etc. presented...that way no two can identify themselves without the third which prevents both collusion and protects confidentiality. If UA chose to ignore that then they should burn...I mean not even scrub the names? customer A, B, C etc? rank amateurs. Did Kirby and Oscar get their MBA from the cheerios box?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
The reason I believe it's likely fake data is that the rules of publishing/presenting confidential information are that no less than 3 cohorts are included in any data/average etc. presented...that way no two can identify themselves without the third which prevents both collusion and protects confidentiality. If UA chose to ignore that then they should burn...I mean not even scrub the names? customer A, B, C etc? amateur hour Did Kirby and Oscar get their MBA from the cheerios box?
To which rules are you referring?

In any case, this was meant to be UA-internal communication only. I doubt it's in any way fake.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by prestonh
The reason I believe it's likely fake data is that the rules of publishing/presenting confidential information are that no less than 3 cohorts are included in any data/average etc. presented...
No, it was all too real. That's why United issued the following statement and also told me (and probably countless others) that it is contacting the companies that were mentioned.

United took steps to address the leak on Monday.

“This information was provided to United employees as part of a limited pilot project focused on San Francisco to highlight the importance of our corporate relationships and was not intended to be shared publicly,” the airline said in a statement. “The project has since been discontinued.”

<SNIP>
Above cited from Apple is United Airline’s Largest Customer, Annual Spend is $150 Million

I have to wonder if the employee(s) who were at the root of the leak were "discontinued" as well.

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2019 at 3:42 pm Reason: formatting for readability
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by BThumme
I used to work for HP(Q), I love the company and it's people (and products). But travel policy is LPF of economy-only (not even PE) travel for all the pleebs...
Same here - HP(E) actually. Same issue, lowest everything, not even seat booking charges to book an aisle/bulkhead with legroom on a ULH LH flight, etc. Out-of-policy allowance for domestic flights within 2 hours either way dropped from $200 to $100 to $50 (e.g., I wanted an 8:00am flight; the system wouldn't allow it if there was a 6:00am flight for $51 less.) I'm not complaining, either. Companies have a right to their set travel policies but don't have the right to be surprised when people leave for what they consider to be a more humane travel policy.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
To which rules are you referring?

In any case, this was meant to be UA-internal communication only. I doubt it's in any way fake.
If you have ever worked with sensitive financial information (such as this) you would have to sign of on these rules. It doesn't matter if it was internal communication, it means that UA failed to take steps to protect 'Protected' information.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by LIH
The deal Salesforce has with UA is similar. One premium cabin domestic RT gets you gold, two international ones get you 1K. UA is an old pro at exploiting the cyclical SF Tech booms.

Wow, do they have to be specific fare classes?

So the international premium cabin fares are more closer to $10k each than $4k or less that you sometimes get with P fares?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Seems to me like bad negotiations done by your corporate travel dept. or whoever made those arrangements. Sorry to hear that.
The response that I got back from United was that I wasn't eligible for status matching because my status was with British Airways and not with American or Delta. And that I wasn't eligible for a fast track to Premier Gold because I didn't live in the US or Canada. When I mailed United back and said that my company website didn't mention any of those conditions, I was told that it was United policy on corporate accounts.

Suffice to say I felt pretty p***ed off by their response
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
No, it was all too real. That's why United issued the following statement and also told me (and probably countless others) that it is contacting the companies that were mentioned.

Above cited from Apple is United Airline’s Largest Customer, Annual Spend is $150 Million

I have to wonder if the employee(s) who were at the root of the leak were "discontinued" as well.

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
For a global company such as UA to have no internal control/review process to prevent not only protected customer information from being disclosed, but also a sloppy presentation of information is just no only embarassing, but extremely insightful into how poorly this airline is run if this indeed is an authentic. This also reflects poorly on the third party control auditors...hope they take a burn too.
nexusCFX likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2019 at 3:44 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator formatting changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.