Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:26 pm

I swear I didn't do it!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
It was in a staff only area at SFO.

Obviously not meant to be shared around. Clearly, the "do not share" message wasn't large enough.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by fezzington
Obviously not meant to be shared around. Clearly, the "do not share" message wasn't large enough.
You can't even see 'Confidental Information' unless you click through to Twitter and enlarge the image. Talk about an understatement

Not surprised that Apple is the largest account, but I wonder if that number magically becomes smaller. And I echo the poster that says someone at UA is in trouble - printing out confidental information on banners that large is truly stupid.

ETA: Roche is over $34mm? Guess we know why UA thought their version of the Roche Coach (SFO-ZRH) was a good idea
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
PwC and Deloitte are on that banner, I know EY (also a big four accounting firm) does a lot of business with UA. I have a family member who is GS by virtue of a corp contract EY has with UA. (ORD based)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:09 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
I work at one of these companies and this doesn't surprise me. Almost *everyone* travels relatively often, even in non-sales roles (where you expect higher travel). The corporate booking rules are pretty loosy-goosy, so it's easy to travel well and play the status game. Loads of people have GS and (obviously) even more 1K. GPUs basically grow on trees; even if you don't have status you can easily acquire one.
wrp96 and NeedstoFly like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:09 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
UA is about to get a lot of very angry letters and maybe about to lose a few large customers. If I were Tim Cook, I would be wild and making a change to the Apple travel policy, today.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:10 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
UA is about to get a lot of very angry letters and maybe about to lose a few large customers. If I were Tim Cook, I would be wild and making a change to the Apple travel policy, today.
You think AAPL doesn't already know how much it spends on travel? ...okay.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by _fx
You think AAPL doesn't already know how much it spends on travel? ...okay.
The issue is more that there are now people out there thinking "50 people a day fly in the fancy business class seats to Shanghai and that's another reason why my iPhone costs $1,000. #BoycottApple "
RoyalFlush, Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JAaronT

it’s corporate sales meeting season so that would be my guess where this came from.
Agreed. The decor behind the banner looks like a cubicle or meeting room, certainly not an airport terminal
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:19 pm
_fx

Originally Posted by cricketer
The issue is more that there are now people out there thinking "50 people a day fly in the fancy business class seats to Shanghai and that's another reason why my iPhone costs $1,000. #BoycottApple "
That's a stupid thing to think, but -- good point, you're right that people probably think it and the optics are bad.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Most interesting thing in my opinion is how UA is extremely exposed in China if this trade war continues. Would have to imagine it has the potential to have a rather significant impact on SFO-PVG if the US/China relationship doesn’t improve.

This also illustrates the gold mine UA has with its SFO hub to Asia and why they have such large premium cabins compared to AA/DL from LAX/SEA-Asia.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UAL250
Interesting no Bain & Company or BCG but McKinsey is there.
I've never heard of any of them.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:36 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by _fx
That's a stupid thing to think, but -- good point, you're right that people probably think it and the optics are bad.
Senior management and board members don’t like this type of publicity. Anything that has the slightest hint of scandal or political incorrectness is a big issue. Apple loves publicity about it products, not about the inner workings of the company. There’s no upside for Apple (or others listed) with this going viral on the internet.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by docbert
I'm going to guess the "50 seats" number is actually for both SFO-PVG and PVG-SFO, so it's really 25 return seats/day.

If you presume that route is 100% business for Apple, then...

$35 million in revenue, divided by 365 days, gives $100k/day.
$100k/day, divided by 50 seats gives $2k/seat
If that's really 50 seats in each direction then that's $1k/passenger/flight.

Whilst I'm sure Apple gets good discounts, I can't see them paying $1k for a 6000 mile business class flight...

However with 25 passengers in each direction that comes out to $2k/passenger/flight, or $4k/round trip.

(If they do have non-business class travelers on that route then the $ numbers are even lower)

At the very bottom of the posters it says "fly California's global airline", so my guess would be CA revenue only.
Based on these numbers it seems AAPL is getting a pretty sweet deal on J to Asia, and UA not so much. No wonder they still fly the old seats confit to PVG.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've never heard of any of them.
All prominent consulting companies that presumably spend an arm and a leg (or charge their clients) to fly their consultants all over the world.

Originally Posted by cricketer
I don't think most people are going to make that connection.
cawhite, Slurve30, chavala and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.