Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA biggest corporate accounts out of SFO (leaked data)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Surprised to see TPE is #3 on Apple's list. What is Apple doing in Taiwan? They don't make iPhone there.

And this must be the reason why United puts 77W on TPE route, although people keep saying TPE is a low-yield market.
Per what others said... Also TSMC is based in Taiwan

That said, majority of the silicon work is done in Austin, i'm guessing alot of folks would go from AUS-SFO and then tag onto Asia for a factory visit.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
My suspicion is that this "leak" (if real) was strategic. If UA wanted to keep this information secret, why on earth would they have printed it on posters covered in UA branding elements? This is what you'd do if you wanted to guarantee photos of them ended up on social media.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by docbert
I'm going to guess the "50 seats" number is actually for both SFO-PVG and PVG-SFO, so it's really 25 return seats/day.

If you presume that route is 100% business for Apple, then...

$35 million in revenue, divided by 365 days, gives $100k/day.
$100k/day, divided by 50 seats gives $2k/seat
If that's really 50 seats in each direction then that's $1k/passenger/flight.

Whilst I'm sure Apple gets good discounts, I can't see them paying $1k for a 6000 mile business class flight...

However with 25 passengers in each direction that comes out to $2k/passenger/flight, or $4k/round trip.

(If they do have non-business class travelers on that route then the $ numbers are even lower)

At the very bottom of the posters it says "fly California's global airline", so my guess would be CA revenue only.
Only Apple travel desk know how much the tickets really is.

Apple buys tons of ticket on UA. But majority of employees (current/ex- including me) hates UA. So a beginning of the year travel desk doesn’t really enforce the UA policy. But around August time frame- travel desk will force us to suffer UA. During those time period, even though UA fare may look much higher than for example SQ to HKG. Travel desk will say that is not true price paid and I will be stuck on HKG.

857/869/871/837...... chances are 1/4 of J cabin are occupied by my colleagues. But give how silo Apple is internally chances are even you are working on same product- you won’t know what other guys is doing. You get to see more as you advance in career.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
is apple really getting a deal, i see fares in J for SFO-PVG rt less than $3.7k for most of the year
I was told the actual cost paid was significantly less- in ball park around $2k once by travel desk- because I had wanted to take SQ1/2
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Surprised to see TPE is #3 on Apple's list. What is Apple doing in Taiwan? They don't make iPhone there.

And this must be the reason why United puts 77W on TPE route, although people keep saying TPE is a low-yield market.
Apple CM are HQ in taiwan. Why would this be surprising???
Originally Posted by UAflyer93

They’re getting a huge deal. More important than price is the flexibility that these corporate deals entail (e.g., discounts or flat rates on last seat availability.)

A lot of travel, especially in the manufacturing space, is booked at the last minute. Heck, I know people who were in meetings, a problem came up, and their boss asked them to get on the next flight (in a couple hours) to go visit a manufacturer. Being guaranteed a seat on an airline with an international route network as extensive as UA’s is not something that can be discounted.

I always have a suit case in my trunk. 7 pairs of socks, 7 underwear, 7 to shirts, 3 khakis, one pair of tennis shoe. You just never know when u will leave.

I have done same day turn around in SFO. Litterally landed and got my bagge then went upstairs and checked back in.

I also had UA pull another passenger off HND to SFO for me as my NRT-SFO flight was cancelled.

Corporare contract and being GS does have its merit and benefit.
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
UA is about to get a lot of very angry letters and maybe about to lose a few large customers. If I were Tim Cook, I would be wild and making a change to the Apple travel policy, today.
I am sure a lot of people will be happy that travel policy changes.
Originally Posted by oopl
Well now we know which 10 ex-SFO routes will stick around for awhile.
...as long as those corporate contracts stay.
CTU- for example

Last edited by J.Edward; Jan 12, 2019 at 5:36 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Doesn't sound like this was posted at some event. Someone with a handle "Ima Pilot" posted the following on the twitter feed: This was taken in SFO flight ops in the pilot flight planning area. So there is good chance security video will have evidence of whoever released this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by n198ua
Doesn't sound like this was posted at some event. Someone with a handle "Ima Pilot" posted the following on the twitter feed: This was taken in SFO flight ops in the pilot flight planning area. So there is good chance security video will have evidence of whoever released this.
Due to the extensive use of airport codes, I assumed it would be used for airline insiders more than a public event. I still don't get why they would put up banners with "confidential information" in high-traffic areas like the flight preparation room (which isn't only frequented by pilots and UA personnel).

I've seen similar "pat ourselves on the back"-banners in other corps, but none would go that specific and include several statistics and numbers.

Anyway, if the person who took the pic had something to lose, he or she probably waited long enough for the video evidence to expire before sharing it to the world. With a little social engineering, it's usually not hard to find out video retention policies.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've never heard of any of them.
Huh???
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What would roughly be the breakeven numbers for APPL to use a private plane or even charter something from UA?
A 763 runs around $15-$17K per hour for charter.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Collierkr
How often it happens to UA or other companies?

Sure it happens.. and who knows, maybe they "wanted" it to happen.
Headline revenue numbers, and to companies in general. I’m still not understanding the big deal here. These are rough revenue numbers, not profitability, so information content is minimal.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme

Only Apple travel desk know how much the tickets really is.

Apple buys tons of ticket on UA. But majority of employees (current/ex- including me) hates UA. So a beginning of the year travel desk doesn’t really enforce the UA policy. But around August time frame- travel desk will force us to suffer UA. During those time period, even though UA fare may look much higher than for example SQ to HKG. Travel desk will say that is not true price paid and I will be stuck on HKG.

857/869/871/837...... chances are 1/4 of J cabin are occupied by my colleagues. But give how silo Apple is internally chances are even you are working on same product- you won’t know what other guys is doing. You get to see more as you advance in career.

I was told the actual cost paid was significantly less- in ball park around $2k once by travel desk- because I had wanted to take SQ1/2

Apple CM are HQ in taiwan. Why would this be surprising???

I always have a suit case in my trunk. 7 pairs of socks, 7 underwear, 7 to shirts, 3 khakis, one pair of tennis shoe. You just never know when u will leave.

I have done same day turn around in SFO. Litterally landed and got my bagge then went upstairs and checked back in.

I also had UA pull another passenger off HND to SFO for me as my NRT-SFO flight was cancelled.

Corporare contract and being GS does have its merit and benefit.

I am sure a lot of people will be happy that travel policy changes.

CTU- for example
It's surprising CTU can't crack the top 10 for Apple. Doesn't bode well for that route.

And HPQ/HPE don't have $10M on UA.

Originally Posted by docbert
Foxconn is based in Taiwan.
It's not just Foxconn, Apple (and Google, Facebook, and the others) have tons of suppliers in Taiwan, including TSMC, ASE, Largan, GSEO, Pegatron, Inventec, Wistron, Compal, Delta, etc, etc.

The difference with PVG is that UA has real competition on the TPE-SFO route with BR/CI.

Originally Posted by physioprof
My suspicion is that this "leak" (if real) was strategic. If UA wanted to keep this information secret, why on earth would they have printed it on posters covered in UA branding elements? This is what you'd do if you wanted to guarantee photos of them ended up on social media.
It's one thing to leak your own numbers, it's another thing to leak your customers numbers... Especially APPL who is known to have adversarial relationships with nearly all their suppliers/partners and has the most uptight reputation for any kind of unwanted publicity or leaking of information.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 2019 at 12:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by east_west
It's surprising CTU can't crack the top 10 for Apple. Doesn't bode well for that route.

And HPQ/HPE don't have $10M on UA.
CTU is only 3x weekly, IIRC - so I would be kind of skeptical that corporate traffic would be driving that route without a daily flight.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Mackle
I work for one of the companies on this list. We have a status match / status fast track "perk" with UA, but when you contact United about it they will only match status with American or Delta, and will only offer fast track status to employees who are ordinarily resident in the US.

So being based in Germany, I don't get anything out of the UA relationship
Seems to me like bad negotiations done by your corporate travel dept. or whoever made those arrangements. Sorry to hear that.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:19 am

I guess I'm the only one who is surprised at how small the number is.

UA does $35-$40 billion a year in revenue. Its largest SFO customer is less than one half of one percent of that, at least in terms of committed spend. Maybe actual spend is higher.

Back around 2000 there was some stat that something like 40% or (more?) of UA's revenue was California based, which is what got it pummeled when tech spend declined in 2001 - 2003. Wonder what it is today. Less, clearly.

Also better explains why a former UA CFO got an in at Apple - which landed him a public tech CFO job later with VMWare.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jan 13, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I guess I'm the only one who is surprised at how small the number is.

UA does $35-$40 billion a year in revenue. Its largest SFO customer is less than one half of one percent of that, at least in terms of committed spend. Maybe actual spend is higher.

Back around 2000 there was some stat that something like 40% or (more?) of UA's revenue was California based, which is what got it pummeled when tech spend declined in 2001 - 2003. Wonder what it is today. Less, clearly.

Also better explains why a former UA CFO got an in at Apple - which landed him a public tech CFO job later with VMWare.
IDK if this is even real. The breaks make no sense. over 10 mil (all of the co's belong in that category then) 12-17 mil then over 34 then 150 mil. it was written by a 4th grader. If this is real, I would be embarrassed for how poorly this is presented.

like you said, if they are only getting 150 mil. from apple then they have poor penetration of their global business.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The economy is big. Apple is only 0.1% - 1.4% of the U.S. economy depending on how you measure it. Not too surprising that they are only 0.1% - 1.4% of United's revenue.

If UA's biggest customer was 10% of their revenue I'd fall out of my chair.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
A 763 runs around $15-$17K per hour for charter.
You must have a fantastic charter broker, because my rates are 2-4x that. A Gulfstream IV runs ~$14,000/hr.
QS Dreamer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.