Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA851 ORD-PEK seatmap today (Jan 11. 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)

Jan 11. 2019
Looks pretty light to me. Is this partly from the current US China trade war?

Last edited by poohhead80; Jan 11, 2019 at 3:09 pm Reason: adding date on the title
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
J is mostly sold, so UA is happy. Fewer leisure travelers in winter, although a bit light for a typical Friday flight.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
J is mostly sold, so UA is happy. Fewer leisure travelers in winter, although a bit light for a typical Friday flight.
There were 6 upgrades that might have been non-revs.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I have to imagine demand has been light on that route for some time. ORD-PEK-XXX in J has been deeply discounted (relative to all other Asian gateways) for a year and a half or two now.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by poohhead80
Jan 11. 2019
Looks pretty light to me. Is this partly from the current US China trade war?
Tons of capacity, nobody wants to go to Beijing in January, cny is fast approaching.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It is premature to draw conclusion on one single flight.
The other three Ex-US to PEK flights (EWR, SFO and IAD) on Jan 11 had better loads.

ORD is a tougher market no doubt. Some do avoid connecting through ORD during winter months. I am one of them.

My IAD-PEK last week and this week’s EWR-PEK flights were completely full. My next weekend’s IAD-PEK flight is currently at 80%, and my end of month PEK-EWR (Tuesday) flight is currently at 75% based on seat maps.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Might help explain why AA dropped ORD-PEK?...
triplefives likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Outside of Chicago's business interests, ORD is a huge market for student/academic/university traffic. But 2nd week into January I guess you won't find a lot of traffic going INTO China.

International agreements create inefficiency where airlines can't just cancel a flight on quiet days. Slot controlled airports (e.g. PEK, PVG, LHR) exacerbate this inefficiency, and often create cheap fares.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's Friday, there's no demand to Asia.
Saturday would be a different story.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
It's Friday, there's no demand to Asia.
Saturday would be a different story.
Many people who fancy being productive on Mondays opt for Friday flights.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
But based on historical travel patterns, the majority opt to maximize time with family at home / get a full day on Friday in the home office and prefer the Saturday departure to Asia.

Originally Posted by moondog
I know one flight doesn't make a trend but these load factors to mainland China ex-ORD would seem to explain why AA dropped their flights.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by moondog
Saturday departure from EWR to PEK has been my favourite so far (price dependent; will commit to Wednesday travel if considerably cheaper.)
Sunday PEK arrival means [slightly] less traffic/traffic-jams in Beijing on the 6th Ring Road after arrival, and my 2hr drive to airport States-side on a Saturday means far fewer commuters and no school bus hold-ups.

I've found ORD-PEK, EWR-PEK and SFO-PEK fluctuate greatly depending on time-of-year. Once had a complete row in J to myself, other times it's overbooked. All-in-all I'd say even ORD-PEK is lucrative to UA, despite the occasional slump.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA
I saw business class for ORD-PEK go for $2700 in early march, outside of the summer months and festivals it seems like a pretty inexpensive ticket.
n198ua likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, cattle-class with many others
For what it’s worth, i flew the return leg (UA 850) departing PEK on the12th, and it was similarly empty in economy and even some empty seats up front. (No wonder my GPU cleared several days ahead of time, unlike my SFO->PVG the week before which only cleared a few minutes before boarding). Even got an old first class seat (1C) in this legacy config - SCORE! 1A flew empty which struck me as especially odd...I assime no one in the center of the 2-4-2 rows knew to look for rows 1-2.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TallTexan
For what it’s worth, i flew the return leg (UA 850) departing PEK on the12th, and it was similarly empty in economy and even some empty seats up front. (No wonder my GPU cleared several days ahead of time, unlike my SFO->PVG the week before which only cleared a few minutes before boarding). Even got an old first class seat (1C) in this legacy config - SCORE! 1A flew empty which struck me as especially odd...I assime no one in the center of the 2-4-2 rows knew to look for rows 1-2.
1A is the new seat reserved for the captain. Nobody could have moved to that seat. If somebody had moved to that seat, the FA would have asked them to return to their original seat.

You have to be GS or 1K to be able to reserve seats in Rows 1 and 2.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 13, 2019 at 1:06 pm Reason: Added comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.