Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA flyers getting snail mail offers from American (AA) - they want me!!

Old Jan 11, 19, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

My snail mail yesterday included a very spiffy mailing from American. They do have some good marketing, it opened by lifting up a AAirline window-shaped flap!!

I'm posting here out of curiosity as to whether it was random or whether I was picked up as a UA 1K member. Did others get this?
My best quess is that I've been a Citi customer for years with an AA mileage earning account and I use that account to transfer money to pay my Chase MP credit card and those transfers can be significant. Maybe the Citi systems caught that pattern.
The kicker is that the only time I fly American is on some random flight when the AA miles have accumulated enough to use them for a flight - I can't remember the last time I've bought an American ticket.

The offer was pretty skimpy:

Immediate receipt of AA Platinum status, which seems to be more or less like UA Gold?? but only through May 15th, to continue it I'd need to earn 12,400 EQMs and $1,500 EQDs during that period. Both would be achievable, but possibly at the expense of maintaining 1K status for 2020.
Old Jan 11, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Heh... mine was an e-mail offer for Platinum Pro. I have some CX flying coming up, so I'll oblige, but I doubt I'll go back to AA as my #2 .
Old Jan 11, 19, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Heh... mine was an e-mail offer for Platinum Pro. I have some CX flying coming up, so I'll oblige, but I doubt I'll go back to AA as my #2 .
Man, now I feel like they offended me by only offering Platinum,
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by milepig View Post
My snail mail yesterday included a very spiffy mailing from American. They do have some good marketing, it opened by lifting up a AAirline window-shaped flap!!

I'm posting here out of curiosity as to whether it was random or whether I was picked up as a UA 1K member. Did others get this?
My best quess is that I've been a Citi customer for years with an AA mileage earning account and I use that account to transfer money to pay my Chase MP credit card and those transfers can be significant. Maybe the Citi systems caught that pattern.
The kicker is that the only time I fly American is on some random flight when the AA miles have accumulated enough to use them for a flight - I can't remember the last time I've bought an American ticket.

The offer was pretty skimpy:

Immediate receipt of AA Platinum status, which seems to be more or less like UA Gold?? but only through May 15th, to continue it I'd need to earn 12,400 EQMs and $1,500 EQDs during that period. Both would be achievable, but possibly at the expense of maintaining 1K status for 2020.
I received the same mailer and offer. I made 1k this year for the first time. I have not taken an American flight in over a year and have only flown sporadically with them over the years. I am not a Citi customer, so that's not how they found me.
Old Jan 11, 19, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
The offer was pretty skimpy: ...
You wanted free Exec Plat?
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
You wanted free Exec Plat?
Well, that would be nice, but I was hoping for their version of Global Services for life. Clearly they don't know who I am. LOL
wxguy, Kacee, 330 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, SW CP
Offered Plat Pro for 20k EQM by May 15th (I forgot the EQD and already threw it in the recycle).

I have no UA status (although should hit silver or gold this year), and haven't in 6-7 years after 5 years at 1K. I've never had AA status and can probably count ALL AA flights I've ever taken on two hands.
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:08 pm

From what I've seen in the AA threads, it's almost totally random. No one has been able to figure out what triggers the invites. College kids who flew once last year get a Plat Pro offer, etc. I've had an AA account since the 1990s and have never been targeted for these promos (which have been common in recent years).
Old Jan 11, 19, 1:13 pm

Programs: Kimpton IC, SW CP
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
From what I've seen in the AA threads, it's almost totally random. No one has been able to figure out what triggers the invites. College kids who flew once last year get a Plat Pro offer, etc. I've had an AA account since the 1990s and have never been targeted for these promos (which have been common in recent years).
To add to this...

I just realized that I have no idea how they have my new address. I moved 8 weeks ago and haven't updated my AA account info. I'd guess they bought data from Chase or Amex as they are the only 2 things I can think of that might identify me as someone who might be interested in this (Sapphire preferred and Amex Plat) and have my new address.
Old Jan 11, 19, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by mpw81 View Post
To add to this...

I just realized that I have no idea how they have my new address. I moved 8 weeks ago and haven't updated my AA account info. I'd guess they bought data from Chase or Amex as they are the only 2 things I can think of that might identify me as someone who might be interested in this (Sapphire preferred and Amex Plat) and have my new address.
Probably got it from the U.S.P.S.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 11, 19, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Immediate receipt of AA Platinum status, which seems to be more or less like UA Gold?? but only through May 15th, to continue it I'd need to earn 12,400 EQMs and $1,500 EQDs during that period.
I got the same offer and I'm a lowly UA Silver. I flew AA once in 2018 and have never had status with them. AA has been expanding at CLE, so I wondered if they are targeting UA customers in the area. The AA offer includes 20 500-mile upgrade stickers as well.

Last edited by paule123; Jan 11, 19 at 4:16 pm
Old Jan 11, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My wife got the offer in an email. Would be easy to achieve if she had any interest in it.

Register and she has until May 15th to reach Platinum when getting 12,500 EQMs and 1,500 EQDs or to reach Platinum Pro when getting 20,000 EQMs and 2,400 EQDs.
Old Jan 11, 19, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I haven't checked out the AA forum yet but is everyone up in arms like two years ago when UA gifted status to a random group of MileagePlus members?
Old Jan 11, 19, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
I've received something similar twice over the past few years. Never followed through on it. I think I've flown AA one per year for the past 3 years (with at least 2 of those being award flights booked with BA Avios).

I suspect they bought a "frequently traveler" mailing list from somewhere and just excluded anyone that already has status rather than it being something specific to UA FF's.
Old Jan 11, 19, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
I suspect they bought a "frequently traveler" mailing list from somewhere and just excluded anyone that already has status rather than it being something specific to UA FF's.
If so, it's a shoddy list. The AA threads are full of people who only fly a time or two per year (college kids, etc.).

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: