Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel waiver issued, website trying to charge for change

Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GOLD

My travel tomorrow is affected by Storm Gia and I'm trying to change my flight to Sunday but the website is trying to charge me the change fee (it's an award ticket). Shouldn't I be able to do this online?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I’ve always had to call for weather waivers
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by getagb
I’ve always had to call for weather waivers
Ditto. The app generally will allow changes once your flight is impacted (delay, cancellation). Preemptively, I call.
1k-all-the-way likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes if you try a second time to do the change it will work.

But if it still doesn't, as already said, you have to call.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Also, even if you are just cancelling and will make changes later - call and have them annotate on your record you are cancelling due to the storm. That way when you call to change the ticket, they can read and won't spend 45 minutes looking for the old weather related waivers (voice of experience there)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dupinort
Shouldn't I be able to do this online?
The website change flights function frequently does not work correctly.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GOLD
Thank you for your replies. I was able to change it with a quick phone call--I had assumed the hold times would be insane with the weather in Denver, but I was helped right away by a refreshingly capable and friendly agent.

It is a little odd though that they only ask for a record locator and a name. It seems like anyone could just change a reservation with that info, especially when there are no change fees to pay. Not that I know why anyone would do that, but it does seem like there should be some sort of identity verification!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a little odd though that they only ask for a record locator and a name. It seems like anyone could just change a reservation with that info, especially when there are no change fees to pay.
This is SOP in the travel industry. There are a number of people who may have a legitimate reason to make changes to a PNR (travel agents / travel arrangers / etc.).

You'll find that a name and confirmation number allow you to cancel flights, car rental reservations, hotel reservations, etc. You can cancel a restaurant reservation with a name and a time. Etc.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thank you for your replies. I was able to change it with a quick phone call--I had assumed the hold times would be insane with the weather in Denver, but I was helped right away by a refreshingly capable and friendly agent.

It is a little odd though that they only ask for a record locator and a name. It seems like anyone could just change a reservation with that info, especially when there are no change fees to pay. Not that I know why anyone would do that, but it does seem like there should be some sort of identity verification!
An agent normally asks for your date of birth as a security measure. Sometimes, I was asked for email address.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
An agent normally asks for your date of birth as a security measure. Sometimes, I was asked for email address.
I wouldn't say it's normal. I think I've had it happen once or twice. A malicious actor likely has access to DOB information anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.