Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA MP auction of 747 memorabilia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA MP auction of 747 memorabilia

United Airlines MileagePlus Members Can Make Their Home the Queen's New Throne

Airline to auction off Boeing 747 hardware to benefit Air Camp
747-themed amenity kits now onboard through January 2018

CHICAGO, Oct. 25, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL) today announced a special way for fans of the iconic Boeing 747 fleet to keep a piece of the aircraft forever. A combination of 'buy now' and 'bid now' items will be available at http://exclusives.mileageplus.com/747hardware exclusively for MileagePlus members to use their award miles on pieces of 747 aircraft flown by the carrier.

The four 'buy now' items available today for a preset amount of miles are:
• Triple Passenger Seats
• Double Passenger Seats
• 2' x 2' United Airlines Livery Panel
• Single Window Cuts with Natural Finish
The remaining items will be released online between Monday, Oct. 30 and Tuesday, Nov. 7, the date of the final United 747 flight. Items available during this auction include:
• Rudder Trim Indicator
• Standby Airspeed Indicator
• N182UA - Tail Number Cut
• N171UA - Tail Number Cut
• Forward facing American flag cut-out
• Rear facing American flag cut-out
• Brake Pressure Indicator
• 747-400 Aluminum Cut-out
• Ram Air Inlet
• Oxygen Pressure Indicator
• Standby Attitude Indicator
• Standby Altimeter
MileagePlus Exclusives offers members access to buy or bid on unique experiences, exciting events and one-of-a-kind items. The proceeds from this auction through MileagePlus Exclusives will provide middle school students a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to attend Air Camp to learn the science, technology, engineering and mathematics of aviation and aeronautics through hands-on experiences. Air Camp students develop leadership and community service skills while learning what it takes to become a pilot, aircraft maintainer, an aeronautical engineer and other aviation careers.

"Since we announced the retirement of our 747 fleet, our customers and employees have been enthusiastic about sharing their fond memories of this beloved aircraft," said Suzi Cabo, managing director of corporate and community affairs. "We're excited to provide MileagePlus members with the exclusive opportunity to keep a piece of the 747, all while paying it forward to the next generation of aviation leaders who attend Air Camp."

For descriptions and photos of the auction items, please visit: http://exclusives.mileageplus.com/747hardware.

To give more customers their own 747 keepsake, United will offer 747-themed Premium Transcon and United Polaris amenity kits on flights through January 2018. The kits include 747 branded items and a selection of 747 trading cards featuring images of United 747 aircraft through the years. Customers can collect all 15 cards in the series to complete their set.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Funny, 3 seats 250k miles. 2 seats 275k.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
No middle seat is worth a premium to me
fastair, nnn, villox and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Odd no premium cabin seating of any vintage. Suspect that would be of greater interest to the FT crowd.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm surprised that a retired UA 747 is worth $0 or worth more as parts -- are Larry and Sergey not interested in buying a spare? is Ernest Angley not looking to upgrade?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Odd no premium cabin seating of any vintage. Suspect that would be of greater interest to the FT crowd.
Maybe they're using them for parts to maintain the existing fleet of IPTE seats over the next 5 years of Polaris retrofits.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I told my wife I'm buying this and bolting them to the middle of the living room floor so that I feel at home when I'm at the house.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by villox
Maybe they're using them for parts to maintain the existing fleet of IPTE seats over the next 5 years of Polaris retrofits.
The majority of IPTE seats (3-class aircraft) are the first of the retrofits, the 2-class (mostly non-IPTE) aircraft plans are less certain. There is going to be no shortage of IPTE spares.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody's really wanted a middle seat on a 747 for over 45 years - now you think someone's gonna pay to get one permanently? The current bid suggests the value of a middle seat is minus 25,000 miles.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I'm surprised that a retired UA 747 is worth $0 or worth more as parts -- are Larry and Sergey not interested in buying a spare? is Ernest Angley not looking to upgrade?
Larry and Sergey can have their choice of any of the hundreds that are for sale and (or) mothballed in the desert. FWIW, if they really wanted one they should take a former SQ 744's before even looking at a UA 744 frame.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LordHamster
I told my wife I'm buying this and bolting them to the middle of the living room floor so that I feel at home when I'm at the house.
I would love to see her reaction.....
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just imagine the "treasures" one might find inside those premium seats. Ipads, Phones, broken cashews. It's like a time capsule.

This reminds me a little of the Delta surplus sales where you can buy a lav door, landing gear, food cart, etc. I wish UA had the same thing.

If I recall, the delta museum has the 767 the employees bought for the airline. It would be cool if UA had a museum where they stuck the final 747
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Very cool. I'm torn between the window and "livery panel."

What exactly is a livery panel? I'm leaning towards that since it'll say United and the window won't. But I suppose they may annotate the window too (as shown in the livery photo).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I read the first line of the OP I though I'd be able to buy a lav. Now that would be a conversation piece.

"United Airlines MileagePlus Members Can Make Their Home the Queen's New Throne"
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
No middle seat is worth a premium to me
If I could get a set of four together, though, I could use it as a couch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.