Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to select seats with a basic economy fare?

Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

I am flying LGA to SFO with a stopover in ORD. How much does it cost to choose my seats on each segment with a basic economy ticket? Will it be more than $30? If it is, I will just pay for standard economy.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I don't think you can select seats with a BE fare, at any price.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by degas
I am flying LGA to SFO with a stopover in ORD. How much does it cost to choose my seats on each segment with a basic economy ticket? Will it be more than $30? If it is, I will just pay for standard economy.
disclaimer that I’ve never bought BE, though I’ve looked to see, and remember being surprised to see it was only $12. But I can’t rememeber what trip that was, and Im guessing the seat selection costs are per segment, and have some sort of variation based on distance, and potentially other factors such as load at time of booking (I.e, booking today might be a different price than tomorrow).

Best way to determine it it is to start a booking, and see what it offers. Thennuse it that as a guide, but note that it can probably change either way a bit.

Note selection is going to be more limited, you won’t be able to select any E+ seats, and unless you are a silver, and maybe even if so, there are now a section of aisle/window seats behind E+ that are reserved for corporate contracts/silvers that aren’t available for selection except to their groups.

Originally Posted by swiftaw
wasnt possible when BE started. A few months after launch, they started allowing it for a fee.

Last edited by emcampbe; Jan 10, 2019 at 10:33 pm
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I saw someone as a Premier Gold recently was offered middle seats starting at $9

Originally Posted by swiftaw
During booking it allows you to buy a seat. Also once booked their is a disclaimer and it says you may be able to purchase seats up until check-in.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 11, 2019 at 6:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I did not think that you could choose seats, but yesterday I bought a ticket from MCO to DEN for my wife and I was able to buy her an aisle seat in E- for only $9. The first few rows of E- were considered preferred or something and they were about $20. That made little sense to me. I could not buy E+.

I have also looked at seat purchases on Basic Economy on Transatlantic flights but cannot buy seats at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.