Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ckidder331
I find it interesting when picking a seat using the seat map that when you hover over 1L it reads "1L seat option (Added comfort and privacy) United First"
none of the other seats, window, aisles, sides or middle, say anything else...
Generally believed to be an IT error -- New F seat descriptors? Soon for GS preselection only? IT error?
ckidder331 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by seanp7

I just did 11L and loved it too. No lav noise. Very private. Would do it again. ^
I'm traveling w/ my wife and daughter; 11L is open. Are the other seats in row 11 (across the aisle) as good as any others or should they be avoided for some reason? thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dingo
I'm traveling w/ my wife and daughter; 11L is open. Are the other seats in row 11 (across the aisle) as good as any others or should they be avoided for some reason? thanks.
They're regular Polaris center seats. I didn't see any issues with them either.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Is 1L really that bad? Otherwise I’d have to be all the way back in 9L, and I generally like sitting closer to the front.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Is 1L really that bad? Otherwise I’d have to be all the way back in 9L, and I generally like sitting closer to the front.
It’s right by the lav...I would sit further back.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It’s right by the lav...I would sit further back.
And there is nothing wrong with 9A. If anything, you have a better chance of being close to the exit door. If they deplane using only 2L, which they often do, it will take forever to get out from 1L.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
I was on a ORD-SFO flight in the 787-10 last Wednesday. It was a brand new plane doing its first flight with passengers, which was a nice treat. In all my years of travel, I think this was the very first time that I was on a brand new plane. I was seated in 1A.

While I enjoyed the change from the expected 757-300, I don't think I'd like spending 10+ hours in the seat as it's just too narrow for my liking.

I've only flown a 787 once before (a NZ 787-8), but it seems the windows on the 787-10 get darker than I remember. Am I mistaken there?

All in all, it was a nice experience. But if I had a choice, I choose an A350 over a 787 any day.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:31 am

Anyone a solo traveler who sat in a PP middle seat? That’s currently the only PP seat available, and otherwise I’m in an Economy aisle seat. Is there enough space to feel comfortable in the middle?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by NYCflyer2019
Anyone a solo traveler who sat in a PP middle seat? That’s currently the only PP seat available, and otherwise I’m in an Economy aisle seat. Is there enough space to feel comfortable in the middle?
How tall are you and how wide are you (primarily in the shoulders)?

The one and only PP middle seat I've been in is 22E on a EWR-LAX t.p.s. flight:

This is in the very last row of PP seats in a 781. I mention this because there's a panel divider panel behind your head that's open at takeoff/landing and, if your crew doesn't care, all flight long. For me who stands 6'2" and sits extremely tall, my head was hella cold due to the breeze and pulled on my travel cap and earwarmers:

Here's the view forward as others boarded the A/C:

As noted I'm not the shortest person. Also, I'm not the smallest either. Here's some shots as I sat in the seat:

I was fairly comfortable in this seat relative to not having to deal with the shoulder-to-shoulder battle that occurs in the 3-across seats in E+ and Y. However, depending on how wide you hold your arms and rest them on the side armrests as well as pulling the tray table out, you may have to then coordinate/interact with your seat mates. I would prefer a few inches of seat separation to fully stretch out my legs and not have to deal with the "foot sorta rest" device. If you're shorter, then you'll probably like the foot rest. I didn't/don't.

So, I'll let you decide whether you'd be "comfortable" since you didn't define what that meant for you.

David
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:32 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Just flew the 781 for the first time today in J - odd numbered window seat.

I like the new Polaris seat more than any of its predecessors but was not at all impressed with the plane. Would rank the 77W and new 763 above the 781 (have not been on a reconfigured Polaris 772) but would place the 781 above the 752 and “domestic” 772. I’d also assume the 788/789s would be similar to the 781s once reconfigured.

The crux of the issue is the narrowness of the 78s which translate throughout the J/P/Y product and materially impacts the experience. Don’t know what the fix here is short of avoiding the ERJ of the Pacific in favor of 77s/76s and hopefully 350s.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by J.Edward
The crux of the issue is the narrowness of the 78s which translate throughout the J/P/Y product and materially impacts the experience. Don’t know what the fix here is short of avoiding the ERJ of the Pacific in favor of 77s/76s and hopefully 350s.
I flew the 77W about 10 days after the 781, and the extra 1.5 inches of width on the 77W make a big difference. 781 is fine for the t-con, but hoping we won't see it on SFO TPACs . . . if we do, I would book away in favor of 77W/772 or OAL. And yes, I fear the 788/9s will be exactly the same. It's an awfully narrow seat for 16 hours SFO-SIN.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:41 am

Has anyone flown the 787 version with PP? I was wondering how bad the bulk head seats are with people waiting for the bathroom. I have seats 21AC. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018
Has anyone flown the 787 version with PP? I was wondering how bad the bulk head seats are with people waiting for the bathroom. I have seats 21AC. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you
My FRA-EWR was on the 787 and I sat in 20A. There is a curtain before the restroom and technically this is for Polaris. But some folks did sneak into it.

I would not hesitate to sit in Row 20 again.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018
Any overflow won't block the aisle or bulk head seats (row 20). There should be plenty of space for folks to wait along the galley area and entrance/exit doors.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Any thoughts/comparisons between 1A and 1L. I understand 1L has a bit of lav traffic, but is 1A any quieter? For what it’s worth, I have no issues with either 1A/1L on the Polaris configured 777s/763.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.