Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold
One week out, so far the seat map is showing 772v5. But I booked 78J just to be safe. Looking forward to trying out this brand new aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by willsplashing
One week out, so far the seat map is showing 772v5. But I booked 78J just to be safe. Looking forward to trying out this brand new aircraft.
Huh. What route? I thought all the 772s were showing the interim seatmap so far.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
Huh. What route? I thought all the 772s were showing the interim seatmap so far.
They only switch over the seat map once the tail # is confirmed with a certain degree of certainty (This has been happening around 1-2 days prior to departure on the flights I have taken / watched).
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Right, I couldn't seem to find the flight that had 772v5 seatmap anyway. Maybe I got things mixed up. On the other hand, I was able to change to 78J EWR-SFO last night. The length of the bed is great. I'm 6' and can fully extend without touching the end of the footwell. I seated in an even row(angled towards aisle) and the footwell seems larger in odd rows. So far however the largest legroom/footwell I have seen is 1A on 772v5.

Another thing I noticed is that even though the plane is brand new, there are already a couple broken places. One of the small light on the seat near the floor fell off. A separation bar near bulkhead overhead bin was hanging. Not sure where the interior is constructed, but the quality is concerning...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I flew the 781 last night for the first time. Having flown the 77W close to a dozen times, I was really struck by how much tighter the space is on the 781. Virtually every dimension is tighter, including particularly the width of the seat and the space where you exit from the odd-numbered window seat. It felt narrow and confining, in a way the 77W does not. To me, this is clearly an inferior seat to the Cirrus reverse herringbone due to the space constraints, and unfortunately, I think that much of UA's long-haul fleet (i.e., the 787s) will remain a notch below much of its competition on hard product even when the retrofits are completed. I would definitely rather spend 14 hours in BR or CX seat over this one, whereas I find the 77W seat competitive with those.

Also, following through on an earlier discussion, while the video screen is sharp, it is considerably, noticeably smaller than what SQ and CX offer on their new 350s.

I was in 7A. It's a good seat. Only potential downside is you're the last one served from the rear galley. 1A looked very good, except for potential disruption from the galley. 1F and 1L are "avoid" due to lav proximity.
kittiyut likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I flew the 781 last night for the first time. Having flown the 77W close to a dozen times, I was really struck by how much tighter the space is on the 781. Virtually every dimension is tighter, including particularly the width of the seat and the space where you exit from the odd-numbered window seat. It felt narrow and confining, in a way the 77W does not. To me, this is clearly an inferior seat to the Cirrus reverse herringbone due to the space constraints, and unfortunately, I think that much of UA's long-haul fleet (i.e., the 787s) will remain a notch below much of its competition on hard product even when the retrofits are completed. I would definitely rather spend 14 hours in BR or CX seat over this one, whereas I find the 77W seat competitive with those.

Also, following through on an earlier discussion, while the video screen is sharp, it is considerably, noticeably smaller than what SQ and CX offer on their new 350s.

I was in 7A. It's a good seat. Only potential downside is you're the last one served from the rear galley. 1A looked very good, except for potential disruption from the galley. 1F and 1L are "avoid" due to lav proximity.
Yep, 7A/7L sounds like what I was after instead of 8L. And fully agree that the seats are tighter/narrower:

Originally Posted by DELee

For larger, taller persons like me, it was tight. 8L only has 1 window, way back over the seat's shoulder. Had I been more on my ball game, I would have asked 7L to switch to get the 3 windows he had since he too was a last minute upgrade and principally kept his windows darkened through the trip.

David
David
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1A looked very good, except for potential disruption from the galley. 1F and 1L are "avoid" due to lav proximity.
Based on the return, I will amend this to say that 1D, 1F, and 1L are all "avoid." FA's set up snacks on the shelf in front of 1D/F. I felt sorry for the pax there. Those seats are already less private due to the narrowing of the fuselage at the front of the cabin.

I was in 3A and it was fine. Would pick row 3, 7, or 9 as preferred window seats. Possibly 1A, but you may get some noise from the forward galley.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
On TCON flights, especially eastbound, I would rather sit in (free) PP seats (aisle/window rows 20/21) than Polaris.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Is the Lav in front of 1L that much of an issue for 1L? While there might be some foot traffic before and after meal service, I thought that the laws were only lightly used during mid flight since most people are sleeping. Also. being an odd numbered seat, I would have thought that the increased privacy would help keep the disruption from any traffic to a minimum. It's not like 1F where you can look right into it. Now if there is a noise factor every time one flushes, I can see that being an issue.

While it's not until Mid-August, I'm giving that seat a try on a Red-Eye LAX-EWR. I'll definitely report my opinion afterwords.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: MP Gold, AAdvantage
7A is served from the rear galley? I would have thought 1-7 would have been from the front galley (in that order) and 8-11 from the rear. Do you know which rows get serviced by the rear galley?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WormGod
7A is served from the rear galley? I would have thought 1-7 would have been from the front galley (in that order) and 8-11 from the rear. Do you know which rows get serviced by the rear galley?
Based on my experience, 7A is indeed served from the rear galley (1-6 and 7-11), but it is the first serving row from the back.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Based on my experience, 7A is indeed served from the rear galley (1-6 and 7-11), but it is the first serving row from the back.
The order of service will depend on the crew. As I stated, on my flight, row 7 was served last. I would expect this to be the norm, as crews typically work their way out from the galley, which in this case means starting at row 11.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Anyone have any feedback for 11D / F? We have CDG-EWR booked in Jun and this was the last odd pair available. Seatguru says lavs may be bothersome, but they say this for seats on lots of other airlines' configs and its not always the case. Can't find any direct info on these seats. I'm betting they will be fine though.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4
Anyone have any feedback for 11D / F? We have CDG-EWR booked in Jun and this was the last odd pair available. Seatguru says lavs may be bothersome, but they say this for seats on lots of other airlines' configs and its not always the case. Can't find any direct info on these seats. I'm betting they will be fine though.
You'll be fine. I've sat in 20, which is the front row of premier plus, and is actually closer than 11 to the lavs. No problems.

Last edited by BThumme; Mar 7, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Got my first crack at flying the 78J this weekend...did EWR-LAX in 3D/F and the return in 1 D/F. I would say that 1F isn’t that great given that the lav on the front right is rpretty much right next to the seat. The extra room in the bulkhead footwell wasn’t as noticeable as it can be on the old BE Diamond seats - so not worth it, IMO.

As for the seat overall - still really nice, but even for a smaller person such as myself, it definitely wasn’t as wide as the 77W version. Not a dealbreaker for me but I could see bigger folks not really being a fan of the dimensions. Totally fine lengthwise, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.