Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: CO Million Miler now Lifetime UA Premier Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star, Global E
Hi all. Schedule EWR-FRA on B787-10 and have seen youtube videos that appear Row 1 D/F of the Polaris cabins where is what our seats are does not have overhead bins due to the crew rest area above. I then read carry-on stuff for Row 1 has storage boxes or using the overheads of 1A and/or 1L. I've read this entire thread and have not found any post addressing this issue. Looking for any information about these seats as we want to sit next to one another and the odd rows appear to provide that in the Polaris cabin. Rather not change seats as love the bulkhead yet on this plane it most likely doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise from B787-10 Polaris experts.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In general, overwater J cabins do not have overhead space issues, as many pax check their bag and the seat density is low. Those statements are true, but you should be able to find space somewhere in the first few rows for your bags.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Avoid 1F due to the proximity to the lav...forget about any issues with the overhead bins! It’s the least of your worries
jcatman likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: CO Million Miler now Lifetime UA Premier Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star, Global E
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Avoid 1F due to the proximity to the lav...forget about any issues with the overhead bins! It’s the least of your worries
Okay great regarding the bins, thought about it after posting and recall previous Europe flights the bins were not near full. I can solve the 1F lav issue then by putting my wife in 1F!!

Thanks for the info, will check the seat map soon to see where I can move us.

Looks like 9D/F are still open, there appear to be no issues with those seats or am I missing something?

Last edited by IAHFLYBOY; May 12, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
FYI there are no bins in the center above rows 1 and 2. I presume this space is for crew rest.

Old May 12, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Switched to an earlier 787-10 flight to get home earlier from a business trip. Only seat available was 2D and had never sat in a non odd window before in any 787 config so dreading it somewhat. In fact I found the seat was perfectly fine with actually more knee room especially to the side, compared to an odd window. Other than the fact the side table was on the far side and I had to hand things to the attendant, moving forward I’d have no problems with any even middle seat in the biz cabin.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Solo traveller, all window seats are available except for 1A, 3A, 2L and 6L. Am I right in thinking that odds are better than evens? Also, I think I read to avoid 1L (too close to Lav) and row 5 (only 1 window), so was thinking 3L.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Solo traveller, all window seats are available except for 1A, 3A, 2L and 6L. Am I right in thinking that odds are better than evens? Also, I think I read to avoid 1L (too close to Lav) and row 5 (only 1 window), so was thinking 3L.
3L is a great choice.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I keep reading that 1D/1F are seats to avoid, but here's the deal: My wife and I have an evening/non-redeye flight from EWR-SFO. We normally book bulkhead on the transcon 757s to get the extra-large footwells, and I picked 1D/1F for our upcoming fligth assuming the same. Is it really that much worse such that we'd be better off with an odd/interior pair further back in the cabin w/out the larger footwells?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Equipment swap notwithstanding I should be flying in the 787-10 Polaris seat soon. Can I place a laptop bag under the ottoman during taxi/takeoff/landing or must everything be stowed in the overhead bin (or the small compartment above the side table)?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by aoumd
Equipment swap notwithstanding I should be flying in the 787-10 Polaris seat soon. Can I place a laptop bag under the ottoman during taxi/takeoff/landing or must everything be stowed in the overhead bin (or the small compartment above the side table)?
Nope.

Must be stored in overhead.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Nope.

Must be stored in overhead.
Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by as219
I keep reading that 1D/1F are seats to avoid, but here's the deal: My wife and I have an evening/non-redeye flight from EWR-SFO. We normally book bulkhead on the transcon 757s to get the extra-large footwells, and I picked 1D/1F for our upcoming fligth assuming the same. Is it really that much worse such that we'd be better off with an odd/interior pair further back in the cabin w/out the larger footwells?
From what I hear, Row 1 in this bird is not the ideal row to sit in the way it is on the sCO planes. 1F might have a real problem since I believe it has a direct view into the can.

I am yet to fly on this bird, but I'm told that while the footwells are in fact larger in bulkhead, the difference between bulkhead and non-bulkhead is minimal compared to the sCO seats, and the other nuances of sitting in a bulkhead row might wipe out the benefit of the larger footwell.

Things to consider:
On red-eye flights, most people are sleeping so the lav gets less use which is good for the person sleeping in Row 1.
On non red-eye flights, there is more lav traffic. Even if you aren't sleeping in Row 1, you might notice more foot traffic.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aoumd
Equipment swap notwithstanding I should be flying in the 787-10 Polaris seat soon. Can I place a laptop bag under the ottoman during taxi/takeoff/landing
Yes, that is approved storage on this aircraft.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, that is approved storage on this aircraft.
Just got back from my flights on the 78J in Polaris seating, and signage above the TV screen indicated that there was no stowage under the ottoman for taxi, takeoff and landing. So I put my items in the overhead.

If the FAA did approve the storage, I'd hope UA could update their signage!
onthesam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.