Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United now serving half cookies in First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

I just flew from HNL to SFO in the ghetto 777. Among other negative surprises, was being served a half cookie near the end of the flight. Seriously, the cookies were all cut in pieces. I think it might be better to serve no cookies at all and avoid the ludicrous spectacle of giving everyone a fractional ration, like we're in some life raft in the middle of the Pacific, desperately putting off the moment when we resort to cannibalism....

The FA actually looked like he was about to say no when I asked if I could take a half cookie for my wife who was sleeping at the time. I think he was deterred by the glare of latent cannibalism in my eyes.

The legendary "sky cookie" ends with a whimper rather than a bang..... I know, hardly a big deal, but it is certainly emblematic if this is the policy going forward.
SK, Xyzzy, nnn and 12 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2019 at 10:24 am Reason: Titled updated per OP's later post
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
please report this to the GS desk - this is really unacceptable by any measure
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On the other hand, it’s got only half the calories as one twice as large...

I wonder if it was a mis-cater rather than anything Smisek-y.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 8, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In order to help passengers on their New Year's Resolution to lose weight, UA does this the first few days in January
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:01 am

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Originally Posted by username
In order to help passengers on their New Year's Resolution to lose weight, UA does this the first few days in January
I actually think this might be the case in the legendary CO's domestic first class service - the serving portion for their entree was always so small (like the one or two bite of the short ribs....) which always made me wonder they have the good will in mind to keep their first class customers' calories intake in check.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
the baked on board cookies were the best thing they had going ......
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:46 am

So a single anecdote represents policy now?

Did the FAs say this was the new standard? It couldn’t have been a catering error only giving half the cookie supply, or some unfortunate mishap befalling one batch?
EWR764 and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
or some unfortunate mishap befalling one batch?
That seems a likely explanation.
Imstevek likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The dog didn't bark during the night either....
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
I don't remember the exact route but experienced this as well last year. The FA came around with plates of 1/2 cookies for the FC cabin mumbling something like "Sorry they shorted us."
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:13 am

LOL. One single flight and this is surely, like 100%, indicative of a new nefarious anti-customer policy going forward. Absolutely no chance it’s anything else. We should go hold a march at Willis Tower. This cannot stand!
JVPhoto, ajGoes, Imstevek and 4 others like this.

Last edited by tuolumne; Jan 8, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I can't remember how the pre-arrival cookies are provisioned now... parcooked on small sheets for reheating or in break-and-bake form like the old days? It's possible that not enough cookies were boarded, some of the cookies were dropped in the galley, improperly squirreled away for the crew, etc. At least they brought them out, rather than going back to the old, reliable excuse "they didn't cater any...!" I strongly doubt this is a new policy.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by EWR764
I can't remember how the pre-arrival cookies are provisioned now... parcooked on small sheets for reheating or in break-and-bake form like the old days? It's possible that not enough cookies were boarded, some of the cookies were dropped in the galley, improperly squirreled away for the crew, etc. At least they brought them out, rather than going back to the old, reliable excuse "they didn't cater any...!" I strongly doubt this is a new policy.
Meanwhile, back in coach, fresh-baked cookies were available for sale.
iluv2fly, nnn, EWR764 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
So a single anecdote represents policy now?
Originally Posted by tuolumne
LOL. One single flight and this is surely, like 100%, indicative of a new nefarious anti-customer policy going forward. Absolutely no chance it’s anything else. We should go hold a march at Willis Tower. This cannot stand!
The title was phrased as a question, not a declaration. I did inadvertently omit the question mark, but we all learned in grammar school grammar that declarations do not begin with verbs (at least not in English).
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Why put a thread like this without a picture?
tuolumne and seat38a like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.