Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does UA prioritize flights at SFO (or any airport) under ATC flow restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does UA prioritize flights at SFO (or any airport) under ATC flow restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
United's operations research team has likely invested significant effort into building a comprehensive model for selecting cancellations.
Which is cancelled out by the disaster that is called UX sfo dispatch
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
So based on what I'm reading here, it seems SNA gets hosed a lot. Happened to me on 12/1/2018. Also, my friend who was heading to SEA vis SFO got hosed by the delay earlier last year.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seat38a
So based on what I'm reading here, it seems SNA gets hosed a lot. Happened to me on 12/1/2018. Also, my friend who was heading to SEA vis SFO got hosed by the delay earlier last year.
Yeah, that's my read on the situation. I usually drive to LAX for most of my travel but will definitely avoid UA now when I use SNA.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Yeah, that's my read on the situation. I usually drive to LAX for most of my travel but will definitely avoid UA now when I use SNA.
Yeah, I flew out of SNA thinking it would be best to avoid LAX and SNA is only 15 min away, but boy was that a mistake. I guess its going to be WN and DL from SNA now.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It depends on your inbound aircraft and crew and time of year - usually the IAH inbounds are OK, DEN/ORD are OK unless there is winter weather or summer thunderstorms, but SFO is the main risk - unfortunately there is no way to tell where your inbound will be coming from when you book the flight.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I guess its going to be WN and DL from SNA now.
If you're flying into SFO, that's not really going to fix anything. WN can be particularly bad.

The only real solution is to fly into OAK or SJC.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dordal
One thing to remind people of -- if your flight is more than about an hour late, you can call UA and ask to be rerouted and/or go a different day. I've done this plenty, even without status. Officially the policy is two hours, but I've had good success saying 'Hey look, the weather in SF is getting worse; please just send me tomorrow. It's going to be better for me, and better for you because you'll have one more seat to use for the stranded pax today.'

Obviously that doesn't help everyone in all cases, but if your plans can be a bit flexible, either via time or routing, it can be a great way to avoid the stress that comes with traveling in a storm.
Unfortunately this did not work for me, even as a 1K. I was flying IAH-SFO-TPE. We boarded the plane in IAH, and right after boarding was completed, they told us we were delayed almost 2 hours due to weather and made us all get off. I immediately called 1K desk to ask if I could be re-routed IAH-NRT-TPE, as the IAH-NRT flight was just about to begin boarding. They told me they couldn't help me but to go to the IAH-NRT gate and ask. I hustled there, and the gate agent thought I was crazy and told me no. I then hustled to a United Club, where they told me they would absolutely not re-route me through NRT. She said "Don't worry; I would bet my salary the SFO-TPE flight will be delayed and you will make the connection." And of course TPE pushed back on time while I was in the air to SFO.

I ended up spending 11 hrs or so in SFO as UA rebooked me on Asiana SFO-ICN-TPE (I was originally W+GPU confirmed on UA SFO-TPE; 1K desk booked me in confirmed biz on Asiana, and Asiana let me board! Topic for a different thread...).

Originally Posted by Absolute
I did IAH-SFO-TPE on Sat, and that was absolutely the issue. I left IAH on the 0825 flight, and later found out one of the FA's on my TPE flight was also in the jump seat on it. He told me we were lucky, as the average delay was 5 hours for incoming flights at SFO, which was why both the business and economy cabins were so empty due to mis-connects - and the decision had been made that they simply couldn't hold flights.

Mind you, we did end up closing the doors for the TPE flight on time, but didn't push back for 1.5 hours due to the ATC takeoff delays.
On my spot checks over the last several months, it seems the first flight of the day IAH-SFO gets there on time, but beginning with the 9:35 flight, they all are delayed at least an hour, if not 2 or even 3 hours. Interestingly on the way back TPE-SFO-IAH, several of the flight attendants from the TPE flight were passengers on my SFO-IAH flight.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by simmang
I ended up spending 11 hrs or so in SFO as UA rebooked me on Asiana SFO-ICN-TPE (I was originally W+GPU confirmed on UA SFO-TPE; 1K desk booked me in confirmed biz on Asiana, and Asiana let me board! Topic for a different thread...).
Not a bad outcome. I assume you mean SFO-ICN-TPE.

As a connecting pax, there will be several days a year like this at SFO. It's just luck of the draw whether you hit one.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:14 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by simmang
Unfortunately this did not work for me, even as a 1K. I was flying IAH-SFO-TPE. We boarded the plane in IAH, and right after boarding was completed, they told us we were delayed almost 2 hours due to weather and made us all get off. I immediately called 1K desk to ask if I could be re-routed IAH-NRT-TPE, as the IAH-NRT flight was just about to begin boarding. They told me they couldn't help me but to go to the IAH-NRT gate and ask. I hustled there, and the gate agent thought I was crazy and told me no. I then hustled to a United Club, where they told me they would absolutely not re-route me through NRT.
Did they give a reason for not re-routing you through NRT? Was it checked baggage or something?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nnn
Did they give a reason for not re-routing you through NRT? Was it checked baggage or something?
+1

this is very odd, especially given the refusal from multiple agents. It worked out nicely in the end given they would have put you in Y IAH-NRT and certainly NRT-TPE on ANA, but the outright refusal was very strange. I've never had an issue getting my preferred reroute when my connection is at risk - even before I officially misconnect, if the misconnect looks fairly obvious. Once you got off the SFO flight, you should have been re-accommodated ex-IAH right there without any hesitation unless perhaps you had checked bags. The agent's claim SFO-TPE would be delayed is nonsensical unless it was already posting a delay - in a case like this, appealing to a supervisor is the best option rather than listen to agents who are refusing most likely because they don't want to be bothered.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If you're flying into SFO, that's not really going to fix anything. WN can be particularly bad.

The only real solution is to fly into OAK or SJC.
Yup that is what I meant. Flying into OAK or flying over SFO and going nonstop fro SNA.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
It depends on your inbound aircraft and crew and time of year - usually the IAH inbounds are OK, DEN/ORD are OK unless there is winter weather or summer thunderstorms, but SFO is the main risk - unfortunately there is no way to tell where your inbound will be coming from when you book the flight.
My flight was the first one into SFO which at SNA means that plane has overnighted because of the curfew. Any of the first flights of the morning at SNA its 99% certain that the plane had overnighted.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you're flying into SFO, that's not really going to fix anything.
Disagree. While OAK and SJC would be a better bet, WN and AS both performed far better Sunday on SNA-SFO with much shorter delays that United which basically blew off SNA for the entire day.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:54 pm

Disagree. While OAK and SJC would be a better bet, WN and AS both performed far better Sunday on SNA-SFO with much shorter delays that United which basically blew off SNA for the entire day.
That's one day, on one specific route. It doesn't say anything at all about overall reliability when there's weather at SFO.

WN can be an absolute disaster into SFO. And they won't rebook on OAL.

And as already noted, AS has a nasty habit of diverting to OAK or SJC. Which is really not going to work if you have an international connection (or your car parked) at SFO.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's one day, on one specific route. It doesn't say anything at all about overall reliability when there's weather at SFO.
Well, SNA-SFO was the subject of OP's comment to which you responded.

WN can be an absolute disaster into SFO. And they won't rebook on OAL.
Why is lack of rebooking a problem? Like I did on Sunday, I'll just book on another airline and WN (or UA in my case) will refund the original ticket.

And as already noted, AS has a nasty habit of diverting to OAK or SJC. Which is really not going to work if you have an international connection (or your car parked) at SFO.
For those in Orange County flying to the Bay Area, an OAK or SJC diversion is far preferable than sitting in the United Club for 8 hours. As for those hypothetical SFO connections for OC residents, most of us will drive to LAX and fly internationally from LAX, which is probably why UA shafts SNA since there are so few such connections.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 9, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:06 pm

Well, SNA-SFO was the subject of OP's comment to which you responded.
A specific day on SNA-SFO. Says nothing about what the next one will be like. I've been completely hosed by WN at SAN. Could easily be SNA next time. Likewise, just because SNA fared poorly for UA flights this time doesn't mean it will be the same next time. I've done quite poorly out of both LAX and SAN when the weather goes south at SFO. Much depends on where your aircraft is coming from.

Why is lack of rebooking a problem? Like I did on Sunday, I'll just book on another airline and WN (or UA in my case) will refund the original ticket.
Because the walk-up ticket day of travel may cost 5x or more what your existing ticket costs. If you have a $69 WGA fare on WN, that's not going to help much when the walk-up fare on DL or UA is over $300.

People here want to dump on UA for what happened at SFO on Sunday. Not really fair IMO. It's what happens when weather causes close to a 50% capacity cut which lasts all day long.

Any time people post questions about the adequacy of an SFO connection in that thread, particularly for travel during winter storm months, they get a chorus of warnings about what can happen on a day like Sunday.
EWR764 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.