Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Asking UA to use less fragrance in the aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asking UA to use less fragrance in the aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
The dry air is a very good point. I personally hate that and avoid older aircraft types. Last time, we flew SFO-SYD, the flight diverted to BNE, making the flight time around 17h instead of the usual 13h.

I'm not 100% of the cause of my son's exczema. We did notice a big improvement when switching away to non-fragrance detergent.
I have the condition and manage it with the 'clear' laundry detergents sulfate free soaps and glycerin soaps as much as possible. When I travel I find that the hotel bedding and linnens are not a good thing and the dry air may have exacerbated the irritated skin. Also the soaps UA uses in the lavs and lounges also irritate the skin. I counter that by using the hydration or moisturizer whenever using the lav. I carry some aquaphor for when my skin really dries out.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My observation [with my nose] is that when they changed the soap the last time, they made the soap scent really strong. This way, they don't have to spend money on air freshener or FAs wasting coffee bags in the lav.

What other "dual use" cost saving measures will they come up next
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by username
My observation [with my nose] is that when they changed the soap the last time, they made the soap scent really strong. This way, they don't have to spend money on air freshener or FAs wasting coffee bags in the lav.
It's not the soap. It is a separate deodorizer attached to the hand soap bottle.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS
The only fragrance I noticed on UA is “old truck stop bathroom”
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by UK Stages
most hotel brands have signature scents which they blast through the lobby and public spaces, but i have never noticed an official fragrance on board UA metal. but that's not to say that i haven't been bothered by fragrance on UA aircraft. typically, it's a flight attendant (male or female) who was a little too slap happy with the perfume or cologne. or a passenger, liberally applying a scent or hand sanitizer mid-flight.
UA has (or at least had) an ‘official fragrance’ in development a couple years ago. i’m not sure how thorough the rollout was. i can’t think of the brand name, but it was a single word.... “departure” or “arrival.” something like that.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by riphamilton
UA has (or at least had) an ‘official fragrance’ in development a couple years ago. i’m not sure how thorough the rollout was. i can’t think of the brand name, but it was a single word.... “departure” or “arrival.” something like that.
I think that the smell at "departure" is very different than the smell at "arrival".
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by riphamilton

The Dao departure rollout was pretty thorough. Probably why they didn't go with the name.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
I got a hold of some of the LAV “fragrance” the cleaners use at some airlines, and as a joke sprayed it in the office, man that office was uninhabitable for the next week :P

Last edited by UAL4life; Jan 7, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Yeah, they used to do that into SYD, but haven't done so in a while. I'm not sure why.
Hi @flyerbjorn ... there is a UA signature fragrance used on the hot towels - it is a packaged perfume that is mixed with hot water, then poured over the towels before serving. We are close to certain that this caused a nasty rash breakout on my niece on a recent flight because the rash was on her face / forehead but nowhere else. Just a thought ...

The signature fragrance is called “Landing”
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Sounds like bringing your own pillows, blankets, etc, and avoiding the hot towels or anything else UA provides that would touch his skin, will be a big improvement. As for airborne smells, maybe a face mask, at least for trips to the lavatory? I see plenty of them on TPAC flights.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:11 pm

There is an 'official' UA fragrance - 'Landing.' Delta (who started this...) calls it 'Calm.'

They use it in the hot towels (I recognize it there) and according to the report below from 2015 in the clubs - not sure how they actively add it to the cabins other than the lavs. There used to be a scent disc in the lavs but I think they cost cut that into the new soap dispenser that has that plastic stick, which is supposed to be a freshener.

The article below says having it diffused in the cabins isn't a thing

"Putting atomized diffusion machines on aircraft seems to be a no-fly zone, carriers say, because it raises licensing and inspection issues with safety regulators."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/airline...ard-1422832562

"United is just beginning to introduce its fragrance, a medley of orange peel, sandalwood, cedar and leather, developed by a Charlotte, N.C. scent marketing firm called ScentAir. Landing has landed at a few locations at United’s O’Hare Airport hub in Chicago, including airplane boarding bridges. On a recent morning, a diffuser machine had just been installed on the wall near a potted plant in the lobby of one of its four United Club lounges. Marlene Tolbert, a supervisor in the club, says she thought it was “a pine smell for the holidays.” But her colleague Linda Chrobak disagreed. “I can smell the orange,” she says.

Jim Curry, a Chicago police officer walking his beat in the terminal, popped in to greet the women. “I like it,” he says of the scent. “It’s not bold. You’re not walking into a lemon tree. When you have lemon, you know they’re trying to hide something.”
"
narvik likes this.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jan 7, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:21 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Is there not risk in calling an airline to tell them you are allergic to a product used on their plane? Seems like a good reason not to fly someone at all ...
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Sounds like bringing your own pillows, blankets, etc, and avoiding the hot towels or anything else UA provides that would touch his skin, will be a big improvement. As for airborne smells, maybe a face mask, at least for trips to the lavatory? I see plenty of them on TPAC flights.
Indeed. More workable than asking UA to change!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.