Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by psychoidiot
So they offered me 25k miles or $300 voucher - is there any other option I can ask the representative for? I still have a voucher that haven't used because you can't use it on taxes/fees or baggages (even though I got because of a baggage issue).
Those are the only two options (no upgrade certs or free UC memberships or ....)
You can get vouchers combined.

You can use miles for other purchases but a discount value.(1 cpm or less).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:48 pm

Hi everyone. I have a question about missed connections on United: if you miss a connection due to delays on the inbound flight, do United's computers automatically confirm you on (or add you to the standby list for) the next flight?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rs913
Hi everyone. I have a question about missed connections on United: if you miss a connection due to delays on the inbound flight, do United's computers automatically confirm you on (or add you to the standby list for) the next flight?
Assuming this is a single ticket, the carrier whose delay created the problem is the responsible for the rebooking. If it is a UA flight connecting to a UA flight, many times you will be automatically rebooked. However, it is good to be proactive (as it may not be the best option for you) and once you have missed a connection, check the options with the UA smartphone app / phone agent and if the others don't work an airport agent.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL250
This is a stupid and noobish question, but I have to ask it.

I am looking at possibly two separate tickets due to the price of IAD-xxx (intl)-IAD:
1) IAD-xxx with the return being xxx-ORD
2) ORD-IAD same day as xxx-ORD on the separate ticket

I have never done this before, so excuse this being such a dumb question, but is this OK? I'm not talking about the risk of missing the ORD-IAD flight, I'm not really worried about that since it's so short, cheap, and close to DC, but I am talking about if UA cares? It's obvious I'm doing this to save money, but UA doesn't care if I do this right? I'm just paranoid for no real reason I think...

Thanks.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Surely, UA would prefer that you paid them twice the fare. But, no, you won't get in trouble for doing this. In fact, they'll even check luggage through on separately-purchased UA tickets, which they certainly wouldn't do if they intended to ban the practice.
Note that they won't through-check if ORD-IAD is Basic Economy (thread), although that is a basically moot point in this case if ORD is the international arrival, since recheck would need to happen anyway.

They won't put you on standby automatically, but they may confirm you.

As WineCountryUA said, it's best to be proactive. If the wifi in flight is working on your delayed inbound, you can sometimes find the app will offer options for rebooking yourself while still in the air (look for a '!' notice).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While some agents will say no, others will do this --- it takes a certain level of experience and may take a supervisor's OK. As there is no flight change, just a cabin change and it is on UA ticket and on UA operated flights, it can be done in this specific case (as the tickets do not need to be re-issued) but you may need to call a couple of times. Never protest if you get a no, just say -- "Understand, thought it was worth checking" and move on.

Note for the future, you could have waitlisted for this in the beginning and it would have been automatic. Today with space available, the waitlist will clear immediately.

Thank you for the advice! I gave it a shot and DM'd the UA twitter team and asked to be moved to first because the I class inventory was available. I sent them the message just before going to bed, and when I woke up this morning they had responded and had gone ahead and moved us up to First on that first leg.

Thanks again!!
iluv2fly, jsloan and Kannai like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
They did one better for me... EWR-SFO-SIN, SFO-SIN leg upgraded to PZ with GPU. EWR-SFO was delayed and I missed the SFO-SIN morning flight. I had wifi during the flight and saw messages come and go regarding my missed connection. After landing and almost resigning myself to 16 hours back in Y the system put me on a confirmed J seat on the night SFO-SIN flight (ps. underlying fare was W, but got Z in the end along with associated bonus). Many complain about blocked seating but in instances like this I'm glad they reserve seats for poor saps like me.
Kannai likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Baggage questions

I am in New York on a business trip, and wifey followed along. We to took the chance to book independently a weekend hop to Chicago. On Friday we are flying LGA-ORD, returning on Monday to EWR, both on UA Economy (fare bucket shows as L). I would appreciate your feedback concerning some baggage questions.

1. When checking our baggage allowance on United’s website I get the following info:

What confuses me a bit is the part stating that “If your itinerary contains multiple travelers, the service charges may vary by traveler, depending on status or memberships”. Am I right to take this as that we are entitled to check-in for free just a single bag in total? Or am I missing something? I have *G, Mrs East *S.

2. On Monday we are flying to EWR and then after four hours taking the direct SK flight to home on J (booked under a separate PNR). Do you think that UA agents at ORD will agree to check in our bags all the way to ARN? If yes, I suppose that it's the UA Econ/L restrictions that apply rather than the more generous SK J ones, right? From your experience, would it be safe to do so, or is it likely that our bags will be left somewhere in EWR? I have done this with other airlines (SK,TK,A3) and it worked fine.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by East_and_West
... Am I right to take this as that we are entitled to check-in for free just a single bag in total? Or am I missing something? I have *G, Mrs East *S. ...
A *G member and all companions on the same PNR will receive a "first bag free" fee waiver for a domestic ticket
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rnational.html

... 2. On Monday we are flying to EWR and then after four hours taking the direct SK flight to home on J (booked under a separate PNR). Do you think that UA agents at ORD will agree to check in our bags all the way to ARN? ...
Yes, but allow a little extra time (10-15 minutes). Note this is not available if the connection time is overnight or >12 hours.
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

...If yes, I suppose that it's the UA Econ/L restrictions that apply rather than the more generous SK J ones, right? ..
Generally the higher allowance will be honored.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Thanks a lot for your helpful answer, @WineCountryUA!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:48 pm
FTA

Can I use *A lounges on arrival in PEK? Looked on *A's website and looks like its a no? Just wanted to confirm.

No status. Flying ORD to HET connecting in PEK. ORD to PEK is reward Polaris and PEK to HET is economy. Thank you
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FTA
Can I use *A lounges on arrival in PEK? Looked on *A's website and looks like its a no? Just wanted to confirm.

No status. Flying ORD to HET connecting in PEK. ORD to PEK is reward Polaris and PEK to HET is economy. Thank you
Nope. *A lounge access is always based on your departing flight.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi all

I have a multi-segment biz class award arriving long haul polaris but connecting to a couple of short-haul domestics in coach.

The coach flights are waitlisted for biz class, if it opens up.

Question... I only have access to standard economy seats, not economy+. The flights are operated by 2+2 aircraft (E175s). Am I better not selecting seats at all for these flights, hoping the standard seats fill up and I'll get assigned economy plus for free?

If this was a 3+3 aircraft in coach I'd assign to avoid a middle seat, but with 2+2 it's not so much of an issue.

Any downsides to not selecting seats now?
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Question... I only have access to standard economy seats, not economy+. The flights are operated by 2+2 aircraft (E175s). Am I better not selecting seats at all for these flights, hoping the standard seats fill up and I'll get assigned economy plus for free?

If this was a 3+3 aircraft in coach I'd assign to avoid a middle seat, but with 2+2 it's not so much of an issue.

Any downsides to not selecting seats now?
If you have no preference of window vs aisle, the risk is the far back of the cabin vs a chance of E+
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you have no preference of window vs aisle, the risk is the far back of the cabin vs a chance of E+
Thanks!

Good point. One of the flights has a 50 minute connection at IAH. I might reserve a forward seat in coach for that one to help with the connection. The other flight is a terminating flight for the day, I can risk last row
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:55 pm

MUA question

If you do a MUA with a copay, does the copay get charged as soon as you put in the request or not until the flight clears into PZ space?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.