Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
If you have a couple of computer you could try that.

Different browsers should do the same.

If it were me I would eat the phone fee and call if I really really wanted the seats.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EmailKid
If you have a couple of computer you could try that. Different browsers should do the same.
And neither one guarantees anything.

If it were me I would eat the phone fee and call if I really really wanted the seats.
Same here.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Had a BWI-SFO-ORD multi city flight (7 days in SF). First flight was B fare, second was W (and I applied a GS RPU).

Both flights credited with 1.5x PQM & PQS, I was expecting this for the B flight but not the W. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by getagb
Both flights credited with 1.5x PQM & PQS, I was expecting this for the B flight but not the W. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
You're missing the quality of United's IT department.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I'm sure I missed the answer somewhere.
At what point do GPUs get refunded to the account they where applied from?
Case in point four (2) GPUs where applied to PHL - ANC and return. Upgrades where approved at the gate.
My understanding is the come off at T24.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I'm sure I missed the answer somewhere.
Case in point four (2) GPUs where applied to PHL - ANC and return. Upgrades where approved at the gate.
I don't think I understand your question. Are you expecting the GPUs to be returned even though your upgrades cleared at the gate?

At this point your GPUs are considered used and will not be returned. If you thought that your chances of clearing CPUs were great, you should have called United to remove the waitlisted GPUs. I think that you have to do that at about T-25 (or maybe I'm confusing that deadline for the deadline for other actions......).

These days on most of my routes, my RPUs only clear at the gate as United will try to see if other passengers will be tempted by the TODs.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jul 16, 2019 at 6:13 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If the upgrade request is never confirmed, the instrument is usually redeposited within 24 hours of departure; if you haven't seen it in a week you can call and ask as problems with the redeposit are common.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
If the upgrade request is never confirmed, the instrument is usually redeposited within 24 hours of departure; if you haven't seen it in a week you can call and ask as problems with the redeposit are common.
I don't know. I read: "upgrades were approved at the gate". To me that means that upgrades cleared at the gate.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Only if they do not clear. There is no "24 hour" rule.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I don't know. I read: "upgrades were approved at the gate". To me that means that upgrades cleared at the gate.
Yeah, hence the "if"

Unclear what happened to OP, as asking for your instrument back if it cleared makes no sense.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Has there been a change to the visa system that United uses?

For my last three international flights I have not been able to complete OLCI. All flights have return itineraries with United so onward tickets available, passport and GC details are on the system. It had been a "visa" issue but no visas have been required (great advantage of an Australian passport), an onward ticket which was with United), not sure why I cannot do OLCI today but checked no visa required provided stay is not more than 90 days and return ticket is in 15 days.

Fortunately on each flight I have not been waiting on an upgrade so time of check-in is not relevant but this may not always be the case.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:45 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Has there been a change to the visa system that United uses?

For my last three international flights I have not been able to complete OLCI. All flights have return itineraries with United so onward tickets available, passport and GC details are on the system. It had been a "visa" issue but no visas have been required (great advantage of an Australian passport), an onward ticket which was with United), not sure why I cannot do OLCI today but checked no visa required provided stay is not more than 90 days and return ticket is in 15 days.

Fortunately on each flight I have not been waiting on an upgrade so time of check-in is not relevant but this may not always be the case.
If there is a visa requirement for US citizens, I would be really surprised if UA would make an exception for non US passports.

As mahasamatman posted in this thread late yesterday, the crack UA IT team (or worrds to that effect)

Moreover, line empoyees at checkin counter ... there was a time where shortly after the merger I could NOT check in for any Int'l flight despite having my passport verified and checked in online with both PMUA and PMCO.

This lasted for at least two if not three years, and resolved itself all by itself all of sudden with no action on my part,
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:53 am

If there is a visa requirement for US citizens, I would be really surprised if UA would make an exception for non US passports.

As mahasamatman posted in this thread late yesterday, the crack UA IT team(or worrds to that effect)

Moreover, line empoyees at checkin counter ... there was a time where shortly after the merger I could NOT check in for any Int'l flight despite having my passport verified and checked in online with both PMUA and PMCO.

This lasted for at least two if not three years, and resolved itself all by itself all of sudden with no actio on my part,
The inability for OLCI has only been the last four weeks but a couple of the destinations have been the same as prior countries to which I have traveled with no OLCI issues - do hope I do not have to wait two/three years for it to resolve itself.

My point about the passport is that an Australian passport (similar to a US passport) has little visa requirements for non-business travel of less than 30/60/90 days.

Yes perhaps UA IT is now giving job security to the check-in folks (my comment to the phone reps for all the things I now need to call them about to get fixed)
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The inability for OLCI has only been the last four weeks but a couple of the destinations have been the same as prior countries to which I have traveled with no OLCI issues - do hope I do not have to wait two/three years for it to resolve itself.

My point about the passport is that an Australian passport (similar to a US passport) has little visa requirements for non-business travel of less than 30/60/90 days.

Yes perhaps UA IT is now giving job security to the check-in folks (my comment to the phone reps for all the things I now need to call them about to get fixed)
I was not able to OLCI for my Intl trip earlier this month...first time in ages. Normal Round Trip on 016 ticket. Same USA passport that has been used for OLCI many times before, etc.
I was also unable to view any Boarding Passes on the App for the entire trip. Not sure if related.

Something unusual seems to be going on....
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I was not able to OLCI for my Intl trip earlier this month...first time in ages. Normal Round Trip on 016 ticket. Same USA passport that has been used for OLCI many times before, etc.
I was also unable to view any Boarding Passes on the App for the entire trip. Not sure if related.

Something unusual seems to be going on....
Good to know it is not just me.

Although I have been able to see all the BPs on the app after check in at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.