Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Excellent, thank you. It's a domestic itinerary. I'll double check, but sometimes those fare rules are very hard to understand.
Or call in the first 24 hours while changes are still free.
Note some refundable fares still have a cancellation fee (after 24 hours).
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...on-please.html
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:59 am

upgrading to Business class from USA to SE asia

I fly often this route but generally uses one world and use the full miles to pay for a ticket. Is there any value in upgrading an economy/ or economy plus on united or partner to business with miles? From what I've randomly looked at it looks like the economy fare would be high and then there's a copay.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:25 am

Is it always possible to upgrade? Or do you often get waitlisted when trying to upgrade with miles?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernyx
I fly often this route but generally uses one world and use the full miles to pay for a ticket. Is there any value in upgrading an economy/ or economy plus on united or partner to business with miles? From what I've randomly looked at it looks like the economy fare would be high and then there's a copay.
Upgrading an economy class ticket with miles is generally not considered a great value. In theory, you can upgrade any United fare except Basic Economy, but the copay is pretty severe. To upgrade a partner flight, you need to purchase a rather expensive ticket. If you have the miles to pay for a saver award, and you can find saver award space, that's generally the preferred route.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Is it always possible to upgrade? Or do you often get waitlisted when trying to upgrade with miles?
It is much more common to be waitlisted than to clear immediately.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Upgrading an economy class ticket with miles is generally not considered a great value. In theory, you can upgrade any United fare except Basic Economy, but the copay is pretty severe. To upgrade a partner flight, you need to purchase a rather expensive ticket. If you have the miles to pay for a saver award, and you can find saver award space, that's generally the preferred route.

It is much more common to be waitlisted than to clear immediately.
and I see premium economy can commonly cost around $3000 one way for that routing
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bernyx
and I see premium economy can commonly cost around $3000 one way for that routing
One-way international fares are typically very expensive. You will do better purchasing a round-trip ticket.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:40 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Greetings and Salutations,

About to make my semi-annual trek to Guam and notice the IAH-HNL-GUM routing now has only a 45 min connection time at HNL. That seems shorter than years past; do you all think that is doable presuming on-time flights as a GS?

Any inputs from other recent flyers are appreciated.

Thanks,
FH
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
Thank you!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:20 pm

Our 735p ORD-MEX flight is delayed...they say 1.5 hrs but the plane has to go to YYZ and back, I estimate it won't leave for MEX until 11pm. How long an official delay is required before they will allow us to get a refund or rebook us?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Our 735p ORD-MEX flight is delayed...they say 1.5 hrs but the plane has to go to YYZ and back, I estimate it won't leave for MEX until 11pm. How long an official delay is required before they will allow us to get a refund or rebook us?
Believe official policy is 0h30 for rebook and 2h00 for refund. However, I would not rule out a frame swap if your inbound is from ORD.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Believe official policy is 0h30 for rebook and 2h00 for refund. However, I would not rule out a frame swap if your inbound is from ORD.
Thanks! No swap, flight just took off, over 3 hours late, 1045pm. But rescheduling was no hassle at all, and we were glad to be have been informed of the delay before we left home. AA doesn't do that.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Mar 22, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:33 am

Hope this question is not too elementary. I have an Economy seat on a domestic flight in a few days. I want to upgrade to a seat in First by paying, not with miles. At the moment the price to upgrade is $157 per segment. At the moment there's still a good supply of seats available, or at least unassigned, in First. Will the price go down if I wait and try to buy it from the machine at the airport, the morning of the flight? Or will people have been upgraded into those seats by then?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyz
Hope this question is not too elementary. I have an Economy seat on a domestic flight in a few days. I want to upgrade to a seat in First by paying, not with miles. At the moment the price to upgrade is $157 per segment. At the moment there's still a good supply of seats available, or at least unassigned, in First. Will the price go down if I wait and try to buy it from the machine at the airport, the morning of the flight? Or will people have been upgraded into those seats by then?
Since you don't say your origin and destination it's hard to assess or even tell you if that's a good price and you should jump on it. Remember that other passengers may see that offer and take it. The usual metrics that I read here on FT, $60 per hour of travel is good.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:52 am

I'm not asking so much whether that's a good price — more whether, if seats are still available the morning of the flight (flight leaves at 6:30 am), the price will go down in the last few hours before takeoff. Or are people automatically upgraded that morning, so no seats will be left when I arrive at the airport?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyz
I'm not asking so much whether that's a good price — more whether, if seats are still available the morning of the flight (flight leaves at 6:30 am), the price will go down in the last few hours before takeoff. Or are people automatically upgraded that morning, so no seats will be left when I arrive at the airport?
You never know. Sometimes they leave two First Class seats that they only upgrade at the gate. Those might go to passengers that SDC into that flight or that purchase the TOD or to upgrades. Sometimes, there are no First Class seats left at all. If I even think that I would like to take a TOD, I do prefer to take it at the earliest time to get a better seat and not the last ones. There is no assurance that price will go down, sometimes they do go up. That's why I gave you the metrics.

If your flight is less than 3 days from now you can check the flight status on the United website to see how many First Class seats are sold. If the flight is further away you can check the number of First Class seats sold on the future flight status on www.cablepick.net/United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.