Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Checked in online for a flight tomorrow, LAS-SFO, SFO-HKG, all UA metal. I'm UA Platinum, travel partner (same PNR) no status.

Option to split reservation for complimentary premier upgrade on LAS-SFO pops up as normal during online check-in, but with only the option to add myself to the upgrade list, and not my travel partner.

The language on the UA website says "Complimentary Premier® Upgrades are space-available, complimentary upgrades on select United- and United Express®-operated flights. They are available to all Premier members, as well as to a companion traveling on the same reservation as the Premier member."

I didn't add my name to the upgrade list, because I didn't want to needlessly split our reservation if he didn't have a shot at getting upgraded as well.

Two questions:
  • Was this a glitch in the system, or is this how it displays for every Premier traveling with a non-status companion? (We both had status last year and always checked both of our names.)
  • For follow-up legs on the return journey, since the reservation would be split, would he then lose the opportunity to get another upgrade, since he's no longer connected to a Premier reservation? Any other side effects for IRROPS, etc?
Thank you!!!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LASNRT
Checked in online for a flight tomorrow, LAS-SFO, SFO-HKG, all UA metal. I'm UA Platinum, travel partner (same PNR) no status.

Option to split reservation for complimentary premier upgrade on LAS-SFO pops up as normal during online check-in, but with only the option to add myself to the upgrade list, and not my travel partner.

The language on the UA website says "Complimentary Premier® Upgrades are space-available, complimentary upgrades on select United- and United Express®-operated flights. They are available to all Premier members, as well as to a companion traveling on the same reservation as the Premier member."

I didn't add my name to the upgrade list, because I didn't want to needlessly split our reservation if he didn't have a shot at getting upgraded as well.

Two questions:
  • Was this a glitch in the system, or is this how it displays for every Premier traveling with a non-status companion? (We both had status last year and always checked both of our names.)
  • For follow-up legs on the return journey, since the reservation would be split, would he then lose the opportunity to get another upgrade, since he's no longer connected to a Premier reservation? Any other side effects for IRROPS, etc?
Thank you!!!
The option to add your companion would have come after you had selected yourself. For reservations with more than two, that is how you select which passenger to have as your companion CPU request.

And it's been a while since I did it, but historically if you split the PNR on the outbound, the companion loses a chance to CPU on the return. An agent might be able to manually re-add the CPU request, but I have serious doubts you'd find one who could do it with the correct priority. IRROPS handling is (now) generally not too difficult, especially if you initiate by saying the PNR was split (they can usually find it), but it does take slightly longer to process whatever change winds up being necessary.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by fumje
The option to add your companion would have come after you had selected yourself. For reservations with more than two, that is how you select which passenger to have as your companion CPU request.

And it's been a while since I did it, but historically if you split the PNR on the outbound, the companion loses a chance to CPU on the return. An agent might be able to manually re-add the CPU request, but I have serious doubts you'd find one who could do it with the correct priority. IRROPS handling is (now) generally not too difficult, especially if you initiate by saying the PNR was split (they can usually find it), but it does take slightly longer to process whatever change winds up being necessary.
My wife and I have both been upgraded in the past on the return when we were split on the outbound (a real surprise for a silver). I believe they're supposed to keep their upgradable status after splitting, but there are certainly mixed reports.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
My wife and I have both been upgraded in the past on the return when we were split on the outbound (a real surprise for a silver). I believe they're supposed to keep their upgradable status after splitting, but there are certainly mixed reports.
Thanks for reporting — just to clarify, your wife has no status?

They've definitely been working on keeping the inherited benefits when splitting the PNR, as, e.g., boarding group seems to reliably stick after a split. I'm just unsure what they've done with split companion CPU's over the past couple of years.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by fumje
Thanks for reporting — just to clarify, your wife has no status?

They've definitely been working on keeping the inherited benefits when splitting the PNR, as, e.g., boarding group seems to reliably stick after a split. I'm just unsure what they've done with split companion CPU's over the past couple of years.
Yes, my wife has no status. We had a trip last fall where we ended up getting upgraded both directions after splitting the reservation on check-in. We were upgraded right after check-in on the flight out, and on the flight home it didn't happen until after boarding (gate agent came aboard with our new boarding passes).
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
DAA Contract Lounge Dublin

Flying Z fare end of month RT PDX-DUB: Can I use this business class lounge?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA -1K, DL -Silver MM, Marriott - Titanium
Flying SEA-IAH-FRA 3/24 and return is FRA-ORD-SEA 3/29 and have applied GPU hoping for upgrade Am a 1K . When I look at Manage Trip on the United website it has shown Upgrade requested next to each segment.

Today the FRA-ORD segment is now repeated at the bottom with a yellow border , and states Flight To Chicago Waitlisted

Any idea what this means , positive ? negative ? This is the international segment with the most availability so thinking positive but have not seen an indication that upgrade went through
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Mogreen
Flying SEA-IAH-FRA 3/24 and return is FRA-ORD-SEA 3/29 and have applied GPU hoping for upgrade Am a 1K . When I look at Manage Trip on the United website it has shown Upgrade requested next to each segment.

Today the FRA-ORD segment is now repeated at the bottom with a yellow border , and states Flight To Chicago Waitlisted

Any idea what this means , positive ? negative ? This is the international segment with the most availability so thinking positive but have not seen an indication that upgrade went through
It just is.

Just another way to tell you you are on waitlist with no way of knowing what your chances are from this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

First problem is that you are waitlisted for a Friday flight. It's more difficult to upgrade on weekends. I'm flying through ORD to FRA midweek at the end of March and FRA to ORD midweek at the beginning of April and two months ago, it was PZ9 on both flights.

That being said, if you are on flight 945 the chances are very poor. It's booked 33/48 and Z0 P0 PN0 PZ0.

Slightly higher chances on flight 906. It's booked 20/48 and Z6 P1 PN0 PZ0. However, most business travelers book their flights in the last two weeks before the flight so those seats will disappear and it being a Friday will not help.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA -1K, DL -Silver MM, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
First problem is that you are waitlisted for a Friday flight. It's more difficult to upgrade on weekends. I'm flying through ORD to FRA midweek at the end of March and FRA to ORD midweek at the beginning of April and two months ago, it was PZ9 on both flights.

That being said, if you are on flight 945 the chances are very poor. It's booked 33/48 and Z0 P0 PN0 PZ0.

Slightly higher chances on flight 906. It's booked 20/48 and Z6 P1 PN0 PZ0. However, most business travelers book their flights in the last two weeks before the flight so those seats will disappear and it being a Friday will not help.

I am on 906 , so hoping for the best.

Thanks for the help , was a Delta Diamond since first year of Diamond status and MM , but due to new job and flying to EWR forced to switch to UA , so unsure of my chances of GPU upgrades on UA as a 1K
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am on 906 , so hoping for the best.

Thanks for the help , was a Delta Diamond since first year of Diamond status and MM , but due to new job and flying to EWR forced to switch to UA , so unsure of my chances of GPU upgrades on UA as a 1K
I have had upgrades clear when I was already sitting in my Economy + seat so there's always hope until the doors close. Some 1K passengers purchase a V fare to be ahead of the other 1K passengers who purchase a W fare which is the lower fare that can be upgraded (lower status passengers also do that to be ahead of other passengers of their status). At this point, it's not possible to purchase Premium Plus seats on the FRA-ORD route but maybe once it's possible your new employer will allow you to book that class. That fare will put you higher in the upgrade waitlist and if the upgrade does not clear it's not the torture of the 3-4-3 section.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:12 am
Suspended

United Miles to……?

We are US (PHL) based and almost always travel on AA or their partners. However our family of three will soon be traveling Business Class to Europe on Lufthansa because of the only Non-Stop option. We all opened United MileagePlus accounts to get the miles for the trip.

The question now is what to do with them afterwards. I seriously doubt we will again fly StarA in the foreseeable future. We also have a decent number of points with both Hilton & IHG. It’s not the end of the world if we just let them expire but if there are any other options…….

And if we can transfer them somewhere, can we all three pool them into one other account?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:17 am

How many miles do you each expect to earn from the trip?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
How many miles do you each expect to earn from the trip?
I don't know, maybe 6K for each person.

EWR-MUC and then VIE-EWR.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
I had a flight FSD-DEN-PHX-EWR-YHZ (I know this is crazy but it was the only way to get to my destination at the time I needed to). The PHX-EWR segment was a red eye so wanted to maximize my chances of upgrading it. I called in to be waitlisted using a RPU only on that segment and my reservation showed as such.

Before the flight, the DEN-PHX segment cleared upgrade using a CPU but the PHX-EWR didn't clear and I never got the RPU redeposited in my account.

Questions are: should I get my RPU back in that case? How long does it take to get is back (flight was 3 weeks ago). Should I email 1K voice to ask for it?

I'm new to 1K status so not sure how to proceed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.