Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RespectedPath
I qualified for Premier Silver for 2018, didn't fly enough in 2018 to keep it for this year. I booked a ticket to BOG in December, while I still had status, for a trip in March. My mileage plus membership card in the app reverted back to General member last month as it should but, the reservation still shows me as a Premier Silver member. Do I still get to keep the limited benefits for this trip because I booked before my status lapsed or, is this an error on the website? The only reason I ask is because of some unforeseen circumstances that have risen since I booked the trip, I will be cutting it VERY close to making the minimum times for baggage check and, being able to still use the premier check-in desk will be a little more helpful.
No your status has expired and it will get updated on the reservation at some point. You might be able to bluff your way past the attendant (if any at the entrance to the line) with an old card or just appearing if you should be in the line, but there is no lingering benefit -- it has expired.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No your status has expired and it will get updated on the reservation at some point. You might be able to bluff your way past the attendant (if any at the entrance to the line) with an old card or just appearing if you should be in the line, but there is no lingering benefit -- it has expired.
Shucks! Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I qualified for Premier Silver for 2018, didn't fly enough in 2018 to keep it for this year. I booked a ticket to BOG in December, while I still had status, for a trip in March. My mileage plus membership card in the app reverted back to General member last month as it should but, the reservation still shows me as a Premier Silver member. Do I still get to keep the limited benefits for this trip because I booked before my status lapsed or, is this an error on the website? The only reason I ask is because of some unforeseen circumstances that have risen since I booked the trip, I will be cutting it VERY close to making the minimum times for baggage check and, being able to still use the premier check-in desk will be a little more helpful.
I would not try that ..... you are likely to get turned away, and then the wait will be that much longer in the general line @:-)
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:57 am

Trying to get rid of miles from wife’s account and booking a trip for us two. She does not have status, but I’m 1k. Do both of us inherit my 1k benefits for this reservation? More interested in access to PE and CPU eligibility.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:20 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by az22
Trying to get rid of miles from wife’s account and booking a trip for us two. She does not have status, but I’m 1k. Do both of us inherit my 1k benefits for this reservation? More interested in access to PE and CPU eligibility.
Where the miles come from does not matter. (except non-elite miles have less award space availability (especially for economy).
Regardless if the companion is on the same or different PNR, you will be able to guest them into E+. If they are on a different PNR.it will require a call.

CPU on an award ticket is only possible for the primary cardholder of Explorer / Club / PresidentialPlus Chase credit card. Companions are not included. And it will require splitting PNRs.

Premier Security / Boarding you can guest your companion regardless if on the same or different PNR.

Elite bag waiver is only possible on the same PNR.

More on the separate PNR situation, if that applies, in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...soldiated.html
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Oddly I find my travel companion in a similar situation. He was platinum, flew 85k miles but didn’t meet the PQD. His account now says “general member,” but all of his reservations show him as GOLD premier, which he never was. There was never any soft-landing type email, and his card in the app is just plain “general member,” so where the gold came from one me.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
non-elite miles have less award space availability
Unless they have an MP credit card.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by LASNRT

Oddly I find my travel companion in a similar situation. He was platinum, flew 85k miles but didn’t meet the PQD. His account now says “general member,” but all of his reservations show him as GOLD premier, which he never was. There was never any soft-landing type email, and his card in the app is just plain “general member,” so where the gold came from one me.
Off topic from the original question but, what routes was he flying that he flew 85k miles but didn't spend enough even to get Gold or Silver?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:27 pm

Off topic from the original question but, what routes was he flying that he flew 85k miles but didn't spend enough even to get Gold or Silver?
Deep discount SIN or HKG to USA you can do this easily. Additionally fly partners on a non-016 ticket, no PQDs
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:40 am

I called Customer Service, because I added an economy plus bundle on my trip, when I really just wanted the seat, not the checked in luggage.

They refunded me for the bundle, and told me to rebook online, but my economy plus seat is still there?

Will it eventually go away? Should I call back, or just wait?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Matt Rich
I called Customer Service, because I added an economy plus bundle on my trip, when I really just wanted the seat, not the checked in luggage.
They refunded me for the bundle, ...
you were fortunate, normally non-refundable

and told me to rebook online, but my economy plus seat is still there?
Will it eventually go away? Should I call back, or just wait?
The seat assignment will not go away automatically but it may in the future if UA does a seat assignment sweep. That might occur with an aircraft or schedule change.

The further out your flight that higher the chances of this happening -- there is no way to accurately predict.

You have two options
-- take a chance and watch the seat assignment, if you are moved -- then call and purchase E+ only (probably a similar price to the bundle) but the choice of available seats may be smaller
-- Call now, purchase E+ access and you don't have to be worried of being move (and still have a larger choice of seats to chose amoung)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:54 pm

you were fortunate, normally non-refundable

The seat assignment will not go away automatically but it may in the future if UA does a seat assignment sweep. That might occur with an aircraft or schedule change.

The further out your flight that higher the chances of this happening -- there is no way to accurately predict.

You have two options
-- take a chance and watch the seat assignment, if you are moved -- then call and purchase E+ only (probably a similar price to the bundle) but the choice of available seats may be smaller
-- Call now, purchase E+ access and you don't have to be worried of being move (and still have a larger choice of seats to chose amoung)
If I call to Purchase E+ aren't they going to tell me I already have it?

I'm assuming that they wouldn't either, let me know that they have to charge me, or just charge me the amount, instead of just moving me out of E+

I am watching my assignment, like 5 times a day. I just don't want to walk up to the gate and have it flagged or something.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:02 pm

If I call to Purchase E+ aren't they going to tell me I already have it? ..
because you don't have it. You may be seated in an E+ seat but your don't have E+ access purchased. There are many ways to get into E+ seats and later not be qualified.

I'm assuming that they wouldn't either, let me know that they have to charge me, or just charge me the amount, instead of just moving me out of E+ ...
Nope, if for some reason the system does a seating sweep / re-assignment you will end up on E- with no notice.

I am watching my assignment, like 5 times a day. I just don't want to walk up to the gate and have it flagged or something.
If your seat assignment is still in the E+ section, nothing odd will happen when you check-in or board. The question is will you keep the seat assignment and that is the unknown here.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:43 pm

Yah, I should just call in and see. It's the 787-10 PE, so I really don't want to lose that seat, and there aren't many left.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Oops - I was wrong! 91 k :-)

My travel partner and I took all same flights, but I spent the $25k on the Explorer card to get the PQD waiver.

A lot of the flights were super cheap international trips:
LAS-SFO-ZRH-MAD and back on UA & LX (14,226 PQM, paid $415, got $42 PQD)
LAS-SFO-NRT and LAX-LAS on UA, CAN-NRT-OKA-HND-LAX on NH (17,317 PQM, paid $812, got $52 PQD)
LAS-SFO on UA, SFO-AKL-WLG, AKL-LAX on NZ (14,020 PQM, paid $498, got 280 PQD)
LAS-LAX-NRT, NRT-DEN-LAS on UA, NRT-KUL-NRT on NH (19,084 PQM, paid $469, got $350 PQD)
HND-CTS-NRT on NH (1,535 PQM, paid $197, zero PQD - booked on ANA website)
LAS-IAD-LAS on UA and IAD-ADD-CPT-ADD-IAD on ET (24,990, paid $923, got $130 PQD)

Total cash spent $3,314 but most fares were ridiculously low - the taxes and fees were the biggest part of most tickets. Plus the some of the *A flights don't count towards PQD.

As a side note, the ET flights were supposed to only earn 50% PQD based on the booking class (T), but for some reason I got 100%.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.