Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
No chance.

ETA: I don't doubt that's what the display said, but that was not the airspeed.
Airspeed should be the same regardless of tailwind or headwind, but ground speed was unbelievable.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:02 pm

With an airspeed of 540 mph plus a very favorable tailwind, it's quite easy to imagine a ground speed of 700+ mph.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Track log: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/.../KEWR/tracklog
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Had a somewhat pleasant surprise. Had an itinerary with UA-TK-RJ, same in reverse. UA booked on UA ticket and TK and RJ booked on a TK ticket, RJ was a codeshare. I chose to credit TK to UA, and their system crapped out and wouldn't save. I requested mileage credit from UA and they gave me credit for the TK and RJ segments. I thought I would only get credit from TK since RJ is part of OW, but guess not. Got mileage based on distance flown and PXM/PQS based on the TK fare class. Is this how it is supposed to work?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by trmbn65
Had a somewhat pleasant surprise. Had an itinerary with UA-TK-RJ, same in reverse. UA booked on UA ticket and TK and RJ booked on a TK ticket, RJ was a codeshare. I chose to credit TK to UA, and their system crapped out and wouldn't save. I requested mileage credit from UA and they gave me credit for the TK and RJ segments. I thought I would only get credit from TK since RJ is part of OW, but guess not. Got mileage based on distance flown and PXM/PQS based on the TK fare class. Is this how it is supposed to work?
The RJ segment should have been zero but the the TK codeshare of RJ slipped by someone. Sometimes you get lucky.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Airspeed should be the same regardless of tailwind or headwind, but ground speed was unbelievable.
Groundspeed, yes. But airspeed over 700 at cruising altitude would have broken the sound barrier.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The RJ segment should have been zero but the the TK codeshare of RJ slipped by someone. Sometimes you get lucky.
Zero award miles and PQM?

Interesting to note, I got credit for the outbound TK flight, not inbound. I submitted a request for the inbound TK flight and about 2 weeks later got it plus the 2 RJ flights.

If I actually got no credit for RJ, could I credit that part to another program, like AA?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Zero award miles and PQM? ..
On a non-partner operated flights ... zero everything on the earning side
could I credit that part to another program, like AA?
for the RJ flights, probably -- regardless if UA gave credit -- it's called double dipping ( no sure of OW rules on codeshares)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
PQM on ANA short domestic K class for UA Premier

Want to double check...

Flying NH 2177 NRT-ITM, economy K class, booked through ANA, crediting to UA.

I believe I get 250 PQM from this - am I right?

Actual mileage 287, as premier rounded up to 500 miles, then given 50% of that as PQM based on the new chart for flights flown after Jan 1, 2019, ("deep discount economy⁹ flights with in Japan only).

Or am I misreading it and I get the full 500 PQM?

Thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Correct - should be 250 PQM.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Correct - should be 250 PQM.
Awesome! Thanks for the quick response!!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:49 pm

MileagePlus Club Card benefits?

Trying to book an award flight with close-in fees. Was instantly approved for the MileagePlus Club Card and it appears in my United login. However, I'm still being assessed close-in fees. Do I have to wait for the physical card? Is this something I talk to United or Chase about?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by flightsofideas
Trying to book an award flight with close-in fees. Was instantly approved for the MileagePlus Club Card and it appears in my United login. However, I'm still being assessed close-in fees. Do I have to wait for the physical card? Is this something I talk to United or Chase about?
It may be a subtle difference, but believe you have to call Mileage Plus, not United.

Or wait for your new "status" to be recognized, but of course the trip you want to book may be gone by then.

Good luck.
flightsofideas likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Or wait for your new "status" to be recognized, but of course the trip you want to book may be gone by then.
Thanks! Called MileagePlus who called Chase. Chase said it'll take a few days. D'oh. Hope that award flight doesn't vanish.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Extended premier status?

I qualified for Premier Silver for 2018, didn't fly enough in 2018 to keep it for this year. I booked a ticket to BOG in December, while I still had status, for a trip in March. My mileage plus membership card in the app reverted back to General member last month as it should but, the reservation still shows me as a Premier Silver member. Do I still get to keep the limited benefits for this trip because I booked before my status lapsed or, is this an error on the website? The only reason I ask is because of some unforeseen circumstances that have risen since I booked the trip, I will be cutting it VERY close to making the minimum times for baggage check and, being able to still use the premier check-in desk will be a little more helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.