Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
United canceled a flight I was on after I’d paid $9 for a seat assignment. Do they refund that automatically or do I have to do something? Thanks!
They are supposed to automatically but sometimes it doesn't work. If you don't see anything 7 days after your flight, I'd request a refund. Quick and easy:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ds/refund.aspx

Select "preferred seat refund" from the drop-down.

It says they'll only refund if you were seated in a seat of lesser value, but I was able to get a refund after I was moved from a window seat to another window seat two rows back.

ETA: I assume you were asking about getting your $9 refunded. If you want a refund for the ticket (you weren't rebooked / didn't fly), that's also the correct form but you'll need to select something else from the drop down.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
They are supposed to automatically but sometimes it doesn't work. If you don't see anything 7 days after your flight, I'd request a refund. Quick and easy:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ds/refund.aspx

Select "preferred seat refund" from the drop-down.

It says they'll only refund if you were seated in a seat of lesser value, but I was able to get a refund after I was moved from a window seat to another window seat two rows back.

ETA: I assume you were asking about getting your $9 refunded. If you want a refund for the ticket (you weren't rebooked / didn't fly), that's also the correct form but you'll need to select something else from the drop down.
Yeah, thanks. I did mean the $9. They rebooked me on another flight but choosing a seat made me pay another $9.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I have my jacket to the FAs on my flight tonight (EWR-SFO). When I got it back, my right sleeve has several threads sticking out of it, suggesting that the FAs carelessly stuffed my jacket in the closet and got it caught on something. Do I have any recourse given the damage? This is a new coat that wasn’t cheap.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Do I get to check in two bags (*G) on LH operated flights but with a UA flight number?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have my jacket to the FAs on my flight tonight (EWR-SFO). When I got it back, my right sleeve has several threads sticking out of it, suggesting that the FAs carelessly stuffed my jacket in the closet and got it caught on something. Do I have any recourse given the damage? This is a new coat that wasn’t cheap.

Did you get any acknowledgement onboard? If not, you can get the coat repaired and submit a damage claim to see if UA is willing to consider the claim.

Originally Posted by Granite64
Do I get to check in two bags (*G) on LH operated flights but with a UA flight number?
The flight number does not matter, it only matters who is operating the flight you are check-in for.

*G will get one additional piece over the ticket allowance when checking in with LH

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you get any acknowledgement onboard? If not, you can get the coat repaired and submit a damage claim to see if UA is willing to consider the claim.

The flight number does not matter, it only matters who is operating the flight you are check-in for.

*G will get one additional piece over the ticket allowance when checking in with LH
It's an economy light fare, LH's website states this:

'When booking the Economy Light fare, a fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members. As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge. This goodwill gesture applies exclusively at the airport check-in counter. When booking a piece of baggage e.g. online or at a travel agency, a baggage charge applies.'
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's an economy light fare, LH's website states this:

'When booking the Economy Light fare, a fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members. As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge. This goodwill gesture applies exclusively at the airport check-in counter. When booking a piece of baggage e.g. online or at a travel agency, a baggage charge applies.'
You will be given 1x23kg as a limited "goodwill" allowance -- LH is in the process of revoking the *G baggage benefit for zero-bag fares.
Granite64 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by findark
You will be given 1x23kg as a limited "goodwill" allowance -- LH is in the process of revoking the *G baggage benefit for zero-bag fares.
And do you know when they will revoke this? My flight is in June..
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And do you know when they will revoke this? My flight is in June..
Best to follow this, as you have, in the LH forum thread New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Checking in Carry on bags.
I don't fly often in the US and this is a question about local practices in reality rather than rules.
I was boarding a domestic flight LAS to SFO to meet a SFO MEL and MEL ADL flight.
Part way through a regimented boarding process they announced they would be checking in carry on bags after 8 more bags. I still had a while to board so I asked at the counter and was advised that if my bag was checked in it would be checked in to my final destination.
In the end they let me on with it (I don;t know if the threat to check bags in even happened).
Do UA really check in carry on bags? Will they check in bags for pax who have onward connections? Do you even have to check in small light bags if you are in a seat without floor storage? What do you do with lithiums and laptops etc? Or is this all just bluff to stop people bringing oversize carry on?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lucky_man
Do UA really check in carry on bags?
Yes.
Will they check in bags for pax who have onward connections?
Yes.
Do you even have to check in small light bags if you are in a seat without floor storage?
Theoretically, yes, although generally the flight attendants are pretty good about finding space for those.

What do you do with lithiums and laptops etc?
That's the problem, which is why they'll generally find space for you if you're in a bulkhead seat, which are generally the only seats without underseat storage. (Certain lie-flat seats also lack underseat storage, but there's generally enough overhead room around those seats).

Or is this all just bluff to stop people bringing oversize carry on?
Definitely not a bluff. I see people have to check their carry-ons frequently. It's an effect of the slimlined seats and charging for checked bags -- they gave a monetary inducement to carry bags onto the plane, added a bunch more seats, and then didn't add any additional overhead space.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ajgarett
Was CPU upgraded for my first flight of the year - cleared into PZ class as indicated on the receipt. (and as in the past)

However, the mileage plus status shows I was credited for "ZY Class". Miles earned matches the expected PQD * 11, but I got 1.5 PQS instead of 1.

I haven't had this happen before, wondering if it's been seen before.
Weirdly, this happened again. Upgraded flying SFO - SEA, only after I boarded the plane though - irrops situation thanks to the high winds + delays, I guess the original people in J changed/missed their flights.

Since it's happened twice, only thing I think of is I work for one of the big spending corporate companies that were identified on that United poster, and these were work trips brought with the corporate codes... will have to see what happens on flights later in the year.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:08 am

do miles earned from using from my mileageplus explorer card count toward elite status, or are they only award miles?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: United Gold
Hello everyone. For some reason I'm able to select a Global First seat when buying a business class ticket on a 777 from HNL-NRT. Does anyone know why this is now possible? Did something recently change?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by racerx_
do miles earned from using from my mileageplus explorer card count toward elite status, or are they only award miles?
"Join Date: May 2017

Happy first post!

They're only award miles.

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Hello everyone. For some reason I'm able to select a Global First seat when buying a business class ticket on a 777 from HNL-NRT. Does anyone know why this is now possible? Did something recently change?
Your FT profile says you're 1K, in which case:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...le-1k-gss.html
racerx_ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.