Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by runchadrun
I booked an award business class LHR-LAX flight for July. It was standard award for 141K miles. Out of curiosity I just looked again and it's now 104K miles. If I want to get that lower price do I need to cancel the ticket and rebook and pay the redeposit fee? I have no status so, if it applies, it looks like the redeposit fee is $75. Paying $75 to get 37k miles back seems like an excellent deal.
An update: This morning I checked online and it was 106K miles but still a better deal than 141K. I called and talked to a surprisingly helpful CSR who not only took care of the adjustment with no redeposit fee, he said there was a single ticket available at 90K so I was able to get 51K miles back. It took a little time for him to get it all done but still it was more than worth the half hour on hold.

As an FYI, I booked this a couple months ago so the 24-hour rule was long gone.
jsloan, EmailKid and Zorak like this.

Last edited by runchadrun; Jan 8, 2019 at 9:50 am Reason: fixed typo
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I noticed United opens up more award seats for MileagePlus members. I'm currently Silver but very close to Gold. Should I wait to book an award ticket until I get Gold status? Does United open up more space or lower the miles cost for Gold vs. Silver?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Haha!

Just surprised all E- seats are already fully occupied (and some E+ seats) so far in advance maybe reservations from large group? The cheapest Y ticket is now $1,944 one-way (flex).
Usually a large group block plus some organic demand topping it off.

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I noticed United opens up more award seats for MileagePlus members. I'm currently Silver but very close to Gold. Should I wait to book an award ticket until I get Gold status? Does United open up more space or lower the miles cost for Gold vs. Silver?
No. Changes in available inventory on UA metal kick in at Silver/CC, Plat, and GS.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Usually a large group block plus some organic demand topping it off.

No. Changes in available inventory on UA metal kick in at Silver/CC, Plat, and GS.
Is there award inventory specific to GS? Or are you considering the T->XN conversion to be a form of award inventory? (Which would make sense to do.)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
Is there award inventory specific to GS? Or are you considering the T->XN conversion to be a form of award inventory? (Which would make sense to do.)
There is no system-dedicated inventory, but yes I am considering all of T->XN, PZ->IN, and the forced space for a companion to be additional award inventory benefits.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Are you doing a status match to Gold? You realize that PQM's reset to zero on January 1, right?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:45 pm

United receipt PQD/PQM accuracy

How accurate is the United receipt to show an upcoming flights earning potential?

The below was booked on 086 (ANZ) ticket stock in Z class. The figures seem to be too high from what I researched.

9680Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)-Los Angeles, CA (LAX)635 3490 1.5 127
9839Los Angeles, CA (LAX)-Sydney, Australia (SYD)2705 14974 1.5 541
9112Sydney, Australia (SYD)-Auckland NZ (AKL)
470 2018 1.5 94
2Auckland NZ (AKL)-Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
2265 9756 1.5 453
9660Los Angeles, CA (LAX)-Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)610 3490 1.5 122

Total Earnings:
award miles: 6685
PQM 33728
PQS 7.5
PQD1337

Last edited by Dpetryszyn; Jan 8, 2019 at 8:53 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
How accurate is the United receipt to show an upcoming flights earning potential?

The below was booked on 086 (ANZ) ticket stock in Z class. The figures seem to be too high from what I researched.

9680Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)-Los Angeles, CA (LAX)635 3490 1.5 127
9839Los Angeles, CA (LAX)-Sydney, Australia (SYD)2705 14974 1.5 541
9112Sydney, Australia (SYD)-Auckland NZ (AKL)
470 2018 1.5 94
2Auckland NZ (AKL)-Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
2265 9756 1.5 453
9660Los Angeles, CA (LAX)-Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)610 3490 1.5 122

Total Earnings:
award miles: 6685
PQM 33728
PQS 7.5
PQD1337
Looks like 200% of the flown miles on the UA segments and 150% of the flown miles on the ANZ segments. I think it's correct.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
How accurate is the United receipt to show an upcoming flights earning potential?....
Which item is of concern?
What is the UA fare class (not the NZ codeshare, but what is UA's)? If Z, then 200% PQM for the UA segments
The PQDs do appear off for a 086 ticket -- no PQDs for NZ flights on non-016 ticket.

While the earning reports are generally OK for vanilla UA flights, there are enough problems reports, it is best to double check. And when you introduce partner flights and/or non-UA tickets, I would always calculate the project earnings myself. The good news is the accuracy rate on posting is much. much better.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...itinerary.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2019 at 9:40 pm Reason: PQDs?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:05 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
my search skills are lacking, and the one address I found I think is not GS so I seek assistance from the experts.

What is the direct Global Services email address for complaints/feedback?

Many thanks
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
my search skills are lacking, and the one address I found I think is not GS so I seek assistance from the experts.

What is the direct Global Services email address for complaints/feedback?

Many thanks
Not supposed to post email addresses here, but it's on the back of the MP card.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:48 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by fumje
Not supposed to post email addresses here, but it's on the back of the MP card.
well duh for me.... thanks. I need a coffee or seven LOL
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Will United let me book an overlapping trip without any issues?

Right now I have flights scheduled for work travel on Monday at ~8am through Wednesday at ~6pm between ORD and CAK. Unfortunately I have a conflict where I need to be back at ORD for 2 days, but I would be able to rearrange my work schedule to accommodate it.

I'd like to minimize any change fees

Sunday PM: ORD-CAK (SDC from original Monday flight)
Monday PM: CLE-ORD (Book a new flight for late Monday evening)
Wednesday ~9PM: ORD-CLE (Return trip from new flight)
Thursday PM: CAK-ORD (SDC from original Wednesday flight)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flandery
Will United let me book an overlapping trip without any issues?

Right now I have flights scheduled for work travel on Monday at ~8am through Wednesday at ~6pm between ORD and CAK. Unfortunately I have a conflict where I need to be back at ORD for 2 days, but I would be able to rearrange my work schedule to accommodate it.

I'd like to minimize any change fees

Sunday PM: ORD-CAK (SDC from original Monday flight)
Monday PM: CLE-ORD (Book a new flight for late Monday evening)
Wednesday ~9PM: ORD-CLE (Return trip from new flight)
Thursday PM: CAK-ORD (SDC from original Wednesday flight)
You wouldn't have any problems with the outbound, because it's theoretically possible to fly both. The return could be more of a problem, but as long as it's possible to fly CAK-ORD-CLE as booked (without the SDC), it should be OK.

UA's impossible bookings system may kick in when you have flights that literally overlap (in the air at the same time, or departing LAX 10 minutes after arriving at EWR or something). They won't care about flights that you could actually fly.
flandery likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Thank you. It helps a lot to look at it from what the travel plan would be without the SDCs from United's perspective.

Monday 8:00am-10:30am ORD->CAK
Monday 9:00pm-9:30pm CLE-ORD
Wednesday 5:30pm-6:00pm CAK-ORD
Wednesday 9:00pm-11:30pm ORD-CLE

I kept getting hung up thinking that personally I was going to be in ORD while my originally scheduled CAK-ORD flight was happening. Looks like this would be flyable without any issues, and that I could even schedule my ORD-CLE segment a little earlier.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.