Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:13 am

Yes. The seat was great though but the service was the same as E+
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:29 am
CP_

Programs: UA Million Miler/1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by uaflyer1
I have a quick question regarding a recent upgrade on a trans-con flight. I flew on UA 1882 (red eye) from LAX to EWR and just recently became a silver member prior to this flight. As I was checking in to place myself in an E+ seat (I originally had a standard E- seat), the app mentioned that an airline swap had taken place (781 to 772) and I was magically listed in premium plus. I didn't use an instrument to upgrade this flight (no dollars or dollars + miles or other instruments).

When I checked my reservation prior to the flight, the UA website stated that my upgrade was 'confirmed' and had a green check mark next to my seat number. I was originally in a Q fare and then magically was upgraded to RN. Looking in the app at the time, I was not on the Premium Plus upgrade list as well.

I asked an agent at the LAX UC but she wasn't able to answer why this happened. I'm not complaining at all (!) but I'm curious as to how this happened? Was this simply due to the aircraft swap? Did my silver status push me to PP (doubtful of this since this is was a premium transcon route)? Of note, transcon red-eye PP is identical in almost every way to E+ save for the UA headphones I was given (same headphones in business/polaris).

Thanks!
Good for you! Everybody needs this kind of lucky day sometimes.
My guess would be you purchased a rather expensive ticket?
Oh man, there are many 1K, Plat, Gold members out there...You silver was nothing related with the upgrade..

Anyways...I am glad you enjoyed the upgrade.
Funny and bad tings is that after you became the highest status and getting upgrades all the times you no longer appreciated it ...
Actually, when you get no upgrade 1 out of 10 can make you really mad.
Don't depend on too much about silver, gold, plat, 1K free upgrades things.
The rule and the environment of industry has been changed a lot.

You pay money to make sure your seat...and don't expect too much of free upgrade.
By doing this way, our life can be much peaceful.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by CP_
Good for you! Everybody needs this kind of lucky day sometimes.
My guess would be you purchased a rather expensive ticket?
Oh man, there are many 1K, Plat, Gold members out there...You silver was nothing related with the upgrade..

Anyways...I am glad you enjoyed the upgrade.
Funny and bad tings is that after you became the highest status and getting upgrades all the times you no longer appreciated it ...
Actually, when you get no upgrade 1 out of 10 can make you really mad.
Don't depend on too much about silver, gold, plat, 1K free upgrades things.
The rule and the environment of industry has been changed a lot.

You pay money to make sure your seat...and don't expect too much of free upgrade.
By doing this way, our life can be much peaceful.
yeah I was surprised! Hopefully I can grab some upgrade on less populous routes but you’re right, if you want to be in first/business/Polaris/etc, you should fork over the cash (which is why United is changing MileagePlus to reflect that).

Anyway, thank you all for the help!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:19 pm

Family has flown outbound segments on vacation. Everyone is on one itinerary (booked my mileage plus gold member). Two members want to extend the trip by a day while the rest of the family returns as schedule (two family members have no status).

What’s the best way to accomplish this (if it’s possible)?

Current return is in 3 days so > 48 hours.

Thank you for the help!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by segnomic
Family has flown outbound segments on vacation. Everyone is on one itinerary (booked my mileage plus gold member). Two members want to extend the trip by a day while the rest of the family returns as schedule (two family members have no status).

What’s the best way to accomplish this (if it’s possible)?

Current return is in 3 days so > 48 hours.

Thank you for the help!
You will need to split the PNR into two separate PNRs.
The least expensive way to extending two travelers to the next day is Same Day Change (which is really up to a 24-hour change) for $75 per travellers without status. An exact 24-hour change is actually not possible, something close is possisble. a lot will depend on how frequent there is service / flights from where you are to where you are returning to. The more the better.
To do SDC you need your "fare class" originally purchased needs to be available on the new flight. You can attempt this when both the original and new flight are within 24-hours of when you are attempting this change. A problem is during holiday season available space may be scarce, so there is some potential risk
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki)

The surest way is to split the PNR and pay the change fee (domestically $200) and fare differences (could be small, could be significant). After splitting you can price this out online or before splitting you can call and get a quote.

A third option is for the travelers wishing to stay longer is to abandon their return tickets and purchase new tickets . This may be cheaper then try to change / reuse the old tickets -- check multiple airlines if there are options.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2019 at 10:22 pm
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will need to split the PNR into two separate PNRs.
The least expensive way to extending two travelers to the next day is Same Day Change (which is really up to a 24-hour change) for $75 per travellers without status. An exact 24-hour change is actually not possible, something close is possisble. a lot will depend on how frequent there is service / flights from where you are to where you are returning to. The more the better.
To do SDC you need your "fare class" originally purchased needs to be available on the new flight. You can attempt this when both the original and new flight are within 24-hours of when you are attempting this change. A problem is during holiday season available space may be scarce, so there is some potential risk
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki)

The surest way is to split the PNR and pay the change fee (domestically $200) and fare differences (could be small, could be significant). After splitting you can price this out online or before splitting you can call and get a quote.

A third option is for the travelers wishing to stay longer is to abandon their return tickets and purchase new tickets . This may be cheaper then try to change / reuse the old tickets -- check multiple airlines if there are options.
Thanks WineCountry! Return fare class is T. EWR->IAH. (Return on Jan 3rd vs 2nd). I’ll read the SDC wiki too.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:30 am

Not sure where is the correct place to ask this question, when I research it I end up in confusing circles. I have the United (Android) app on my phone but don't seem to be able to get it on my (Android or Amazon Fire) tablet - is the compatibility with iPads any better? Is it worth borrowing an iPad for an upcoming trip? Is it possible to access 'Personal Device Entertainment' using a browser on my (Android) tablet or must it be via the app?

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:25 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
SandLake, I don't have experience with the Android OS, but the Apple iOs version of the United App works well on my iPad Pro I got last year. Downloaded it easily from the Apple App Store icon standard on the iPad line. And updated it via the App Store when UA would push out a new update to the App.

Haven't tried my iPad on board to download content, though.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 31, 2019 at 9:31 am
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SandLake
Not sure where is the correct place to ask this question, when I research it I end up in confusing circles. I have the United (Android) app on my phone but don't seem to be able to get it on my (Android or Amazon Fire) tablet - ....
Amazon Fire devices are not compatible
There is no UA app for Fire devices, personal device entertainment app for kindle fire
Works fine on my Andriod Samsung S6 - app version 3.0.26
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Inventory: only full J or PN/PZ

Has anyone seen this before? The front cabin inventory has only full J(N) or PN/PZ.

Most of these flights show full in Economy, but only one of them is blocking J seats.

I suppose it must be related to the abnormal holiday Y/J loads and demand, but I think it is a new way of managing them.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, I have seen really weird PN before.. also J9 Z9 P9 PN0 PZ9. Sometimes with ZN also. Can't really explain but I doubt it is targeted or on purpose.

Last edited by findark; Dec 31, 2019 at 11:33 am Reason: ed. for clarity
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems potentially like a way of committing to overselling Y, but I can't really come up with a great explanation for why they would want to do that, so perhaps it is a glitch rather than a strategy. J9 Z0 PN0 PZ9 is interesting. I think I saw that once on a flight just before it was taken off the schedule, but then I was sure it was a glitch.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:28 am

New year, new thread

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 11, 2020 at 11:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.