FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949505-have-simple-question-about-united-airlines-mileageplus-ask-here-2019-a.html)

WineCountryUA Jan 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona (Post 30655690)
....I'm flying SFO-YYZ and YYZ-IAD on one ticket, as separate segments on a multi-city trip. .

are both flights on AC and does your travel end at IAD? If so, this could a problem ticket -- cabotage
If the second flight is UA operated, it will be OK

...The AC agent was able to check through my bag to IAD, and assured me that I don't need to pick them up for customs at YYZ.

Does that mean that there's an airside connector of some sort there (like NRT, for instance), or would I still have to go through Canadian customs, then preclear US Customs? ...

probably a better question for a Canadian or AC forum. but in most countries, transit passengers are not subject to the local countries customs / immigration. Whether USCBP will accept bags that have pass-thru a non-USA airport, that feels unlikely but it is outside my knowledge.

Kacee Jan 14, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm flying SFO-YYZ and YYZ-IAD on one ticket, as separate segments on a multi-city trip.

The AC agent was able to check through my bag to IAD, and assured me that I don't need to pick them up for customs at YYZ.

Does that mean that there's an airside connector of some sort there (like NRT, for instance), or would I still have to go through Canadian customs, then preclear US Customs?

Pearson has an awesome online connection guide, which says you do not have to clear immigration and customs at YYZ. Toronto Pearson - Connecting

I'm assuming you're on UA YYZ-IAD, otherwise your ticket would be illegal.

thedon Jan 15, 2019 12:33 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30652825)
Part of this is sales city related. From a US POS, I see J9 D9 Z6, but with a UK POS it is indeed J9 D1. I'm not sure what would cause them to actually block J inventory, but it could be a glitch.

This.
There is different inventory, and therefore prices when using different country sites.
However it doesn't block you from booking from sites outside your own country, so always look around.

JMBResona Jan 15, 2019 5:35 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 30655724)
are both flights on AC and does your travel end at IAD? If so, this could a problem ticket -- cabotage
If the second flight is UA operated, it will be OK

probably a better question for a Canadian or AC forum. but in most countries, transit passengers are not subject to the local countries customs / immigration. Whether USCBP will accept bags that have pass-thru a non-USA airport, that feels unlikely but it is outside my knowledge.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30655788)
Pearson has an awesome online connection guide, which says you do not have to clear immigration and customs at YYZ. Toronto Pearson - Connecting

I'm assuming you're on UA YYZ-IAD, otherwise your ticket would be illegal.

Thanks, the customs process turned out to be quick and smooth - to the point where I might actually consider flying through YYZ for my TPAC trips.
And yes, SFO-YYZ was in AC, and YYZ-IAD will be on UA.

Thanks again!

fumje Jan 15, 2019 5:57 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30652825)
Part of this is sales city related. From a US POS, I see J9 D9 Z6, but with a UK POS it is indeed J9 D1. I'm not sure what would cause them to actually block J inventory, but it could be a glitch.

Originally Posted by thedon (Post 30656126)
This.
There is different inventory, and therefore prices when using different country sites.
However it doesn't block you from booking from sites outside your own country, so always look around.

So if the US / UK inventories are J9 D9 Z6 / J9 D1 Z0 respectively, and you search with US location to find a Z fare but then enter a UK card (which triggers a switch to UK as POS) does it still permit you to purchase?

findark Jan 15, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 30656771)
So if the US / UK inventories are J9 D9 Z6 / J9 D1 Z0 respectively, and you search with US location to find a Z fare but then enter a UK card (which triggers a switch to UK as POS) does it still permit you to purchase?

No. The POS change will trigger an inventory revalidation and you'll get a generic error. You can, however, pay with a UK card as a US-based OTA to ticket with US inventory.

ajgarett Jan 15, 2019 11:01 am

Was CPU upgraded for my first flight of the year - cleared into PZ class as indicated on the receipt. (and as in the past)

However, the mileage plus status shows I was credited for "ZY Class". Miles earned matches the expected PQD * 11, but I got 1.5 PQS instead of 1.

I haven't had this happen before, wondering if it's been seen before.

findark Jan 15, 2019 11:12 am

What was the original fare basis, and did anything unusual happen to the ticket?

ajgarett Jan 15, 2019 11:27 am

Original fare was in W, one way SEA - SFO. Nothing unusual happened - got upgraded about 30 minutes after check in (at T-24), no irrops or anything.

findark Jan 15, 2019 11:45 am

Weird. I have had unusual postings of the ilk before, but almost always with tickets that have been through a lot more than that.

flyguy6 Jan 16, 2019 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 30618336)
Can happen too all domestic. My wife got it on a trip to LGA last year. Luckily, we were on different PNRs and I did not get the SSSS. It's just a random event as she's TSA PRE usually.

Update. It turned out to be an IT an issue and neither of us got SSSS. Probably because it was partner award booked with Singapore air. At the airport they weren't able to print our boarding passes and they split the reservation to fix it.

nock Jan 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 30655213)
Yes. The only thing you may not get (depending on how the upgrade is processed) is the PQM bonus.

Thanks for your help. One related question. My layover in SFO is only about 40 minutes (this is what ua suggested). The flight seems to usually be on time, but in the off chance that I miss the second flight after having upgraded for that segment, will UA try to honor that upgrade during rebooking?

WineCountryUA Jan 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by nock (Post 30663798)
The flight seems to usually be on time, but in the off chance that I miss the second flight after having upgraded for that segment, will UA try to honor that upgrade during rebooking?

Yes but there may or may not be space, so you may have to make a choice between waiting for a flight with space or dropping back to economy to travel sooner. If you end up in economy, you can request a refund (www.united.com/refunds) for the upgrade fee.

jsloan Jan 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by nock (Post 30663798)
will UA try to honor that upgrade during rebooking?

Some agents will be more willing to do so than others.

Missing a flight when you're booked up front often leads to a conundrum: fly in Y or wait for a seat in J/F. It's common for the premium seats to fill up, meaning your wait can be substantial.

gfunkdave Jan 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Seat Assignment Refund

United canceled a flight I was on after I’d paid $9 for a seat assignment. Do they refund that automatically or do I have to do something? Thanks!