Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 6, 19, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weíve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just canít find it or arenít sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jul 13, 19, 3:10 pm
  #706  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: ORD
Posts: 148
Yesterday (Friday afternoon) I needed 3 award tickets. I booked two award tickets for 70K miles each in business saver from my united account and was going to have my wifeís account get the 3rd ticket for 70K. United website said there were 4 tickets available. They are on Aer Lingus metal.

After I got the 2 award tickets, the remaining inventory disappeared. I was hoping it took the inventory down and today (Saturday) it would be back. It is however not back. Any ideas what I can do besides checking every hour?

30 July 2019

United Airlines Flight 593
Madrid MAD
10:30 AM
Dublin DUB
12:15 PM

United Airlines Flight 125
Dublin DUB
4:00 PM
Chicago ORD
6:30 PM
mayday23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 3:18 pm
  #707  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9,609
Originally Posted by mayday23 View Post
Any ideas what I can do besides checking every hour?
Unfortunately, either United or Aer Lingus could have recomputed its projected flight load after your purchase and decided that they didn't really want to offer any more award seats. There's nothing you can do but cross your fingers and keep checking.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 19 at 4:32 pm Reason: split post
jsloan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 3:57 pm
  #708  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,129
Originally Posted by mayday23 View Post
Any ideas what I can do besides checking every hour?
Check every half hour? Frequency will be dictated by how important it is to you.
EmailKid likes this.
mahasamatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 6:02 pm
  #709  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: ORD
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by mayday23 View Post
Yesterday (Friday afternoon) I needed 3 award tickets. I booked two award tickets for 70K miles each in business saver from my united account and was going to have my wifeís account get the 3rd ticket for 70K. United website said there were 4 tickets available. They are on Aer Lingus metal.

After I got the 2 award tickets, the remaining inventory disappeared. I was hoping it took the inventory down and today (Saturday) it would be back. It is however not back. Any ideas what I can do besides checking every hour?

30 July 2019

United Airlines Flight 593
Madrid MAD
10:30 AM
Dublin DUB
12:15 PM

United Airlines Flight 125
Dublin DUB
4:00 PM
Chicago ORD
6:30 PM

There is the same flight available for the next day. Currently says 4 seats are left...How do I complete it this time? Should i open a browswer with each account in separate computers or do i need to call?
mayday23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 10:19 pm
  #710  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,198
If you have a couple of computer you could try that.

Different browsers should do the same.

If it were me I would eat the phone fee and call if I really really wanted the seats.
EmailKid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 19, 12:01 pm
  #711  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,129
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
If you have a couple of computer you could try that. Different browsers should do the same.
And neither one guarantees anything.

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
If it were me I would eat the phone fee and call if I really really wanted the seats.
Same here.
mahasamatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:40 pm
  #712  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 770
Had a BWI-SFO-ORD multi city flight (7 days in SF). First flight was B fare, second was W (and I applied a GS RPU).

Both flights credited with 1.5x PQM & PQS, I was expecting this for the B flight but not the W. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
getagb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 19, 4:53 pm
  #713  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,129
Originally Posted by getagb View Post
Both flights credited with 1.5x PQM & PQS, I was expecting this for the B flight but not the W. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
You're missing the quality of United's IT department.
mahasamatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 3:41 am
  #714  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On the Road Again
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Posts: 695
I'm sure I missed the answer somewhere.
At what point do GPUs get refunded to the account they where applied from?
Case in point four (2) GPUs where applied to PHL - ANC and return. Upgrades where approved at the gate.
My understanding is the come off at T24.
Dublin_rfk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 4:55 am
  #715  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,413
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
I'm sure I missed the answer somewhere.
At what point do GPUs get refunded to the account they where applied from?
Case in point four (2) GPUs where applied to PHL - ANC and return. Upgrades where approved at the gate.
My understanding is the come off at T24.
I don't think I understand your question. Are you expecting the GPUs to be returned even though your upgrades cleared at the gate?

At this point your GPUs are considered used and will not be returned. If you thought that your chances of clearing CPUs were great, you should have called United to remove the waitlisted GPUs. I think that you have to do that at about T-25 (or maybe I'm confusing that deadline for the deadline for other actions......).

These days on most of my routes, my RPUs only clear at the gate as United will try to see if other passengers will be tempted by the TODs.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jul 16, 19 at 6:13 am
StuckinITH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:03 am
  #716  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,288
If the upgrade request is never confirmed, the instrument is usually redeposited within 24 hours of departure; if you haven't seen it in a week you can call and ask as problems with the redeposit are common.
findark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:39 am
  #717  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,413
Originally Posted by findark View Post
If the upgrade request is never confirmed, the instrument is usually redeposited within 24 hours of departure; if you haven't seen it in a week you can call and ask as problems with the redeposit are common.
I don't know. I read: "upgrades were approved at the gate". To me that means that upgrades cleared at the gate.
StuckinITH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:43 am
  #718  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 49,129
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
At what point do GPUs get refunded to the account they where applied from?
...
My understanding is the come off at T24.
Only if they do not clear. There is no "24 hour" rule.
mahasamatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:47 am
  #719  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 9,288
Originally Posted by StuckinITH View Post
I don't know. I read: "upgrades were approved at the gate". To me that means that upgrades cleared at the gate.
Yeah, hence the "if"

Unclear what happened to OP, as asking for your instrument back if it cleared makes no sense.
findark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 8:30 am
  #720  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: 1K, *G, 1MM
Posts: 1,737
Has there been a change to the visa system that United uses?

For my last three international flights I have not been able to complete OLCI. All flights have return itineraries with United so onward tickets available, passport and GC details are on the system. It had been a "visa" issue but no visas have been required (great advantage of an Australian passport), an onward ticket which was with United), not sure why I cannot do OLCI today but checked no visa required provided stay is not more than 90 days and return ticket is in 15 days.

Fortunately on each flight I have not been waiting on an upgrade so time of check-in is not relevant but this may not always be the case.
Aussienarelle is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread