Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Everytime I log in to 'my trips' there's a bunch of red text indicating a schedule change. I've clicked 'accept changes' every day for the last week or so, but the messge is always back there the next time I log in.

This is an award ticket with some segments confirmed in J/F (int/dom) and some sectors currently in X waitlisted for I (on the 'displaced passenger' waitlist).

Do I need to call UA? I'm wondering if the continued message is due to the waitlisting? (I don't want the waitlist to fail thinking I haven't confirmed the schedule change.)
Old May 7, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Do I need to call UA? I'm wondering if the continued message is due to the waitlisting? (I don't want the waitlist to fail thinking I haven't confirmed the schedule change.)
If you look carefully at your reservation, you'll likely find that the waitlisted segments are out of date -- they have old flight numbers or times or whatnot. So, yes, you should call to get it cleaned up.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you look carefully at your reservation, you'll likely find that the waitlisted segments are out of date -- they have old flight numbers or times or whatnot. So, yes, you should call to get it cleaned up.
Ah, yes. That explains it. The old segments are still in the booking (showing the waitlist cleared). The new segments are still in waitlist. I'll give them a call. Thanks.

Just to update - this was indeed the problem. A quick 30 second call to UA and it was resolved, and the waitlist to I class was preserved
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2019 at 11:51 am Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old May 11, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Everytime I log in to 'my trips' there's a bunch of red text indicating a schedule change. I've clicked 'accept changes' every day for the last week or so, but the messge is always back there the next time I log in.
I had the same issue before. I kept clicking the accept button, but I would just keep getting presented with the same page of the schedule change. I contacted UA via Twitter and they resolved it. This actually happened more than once for the same trip.
Their service via Twitter was really good by the way
Kannai likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:45 pm

Had a two hour schedule change, which did not work for us. Called in and eventually got them to move us to a later flight. Never got an email though

Checking manage my booking, the flights are updated on the screen but the ticket still looks like the original (original date and flight numbers)

Is this normal? Should I be seeing a new ticket number? Do I need to call back?
Old May 12, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
Checking manage my booking, the flights are updated on the screen but the ticket still looks like the original (original date and flight numbers)

Is this normal? Should I be seeing a new ticket number? Do I need to call back?
Yes, this is normal. Your receipt is cached in United's system.

You used to be able to refresh the receipt by requesting an emailed copy of it. That option no longer seems to be present, though, so I'm not sure the best way to get it regenerated.

That said, if it's correct in the My Trips view, and there's no message that says "Contact United Reservations," you should be good.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, this is normal. Your receipt is cached in United's system.

You used to be able to refresh the receipt by requesting an emailed copy of it. That option no longer seems to be present, though, so I'm not sure the best way to get it regenerated.

That said, if it's correct in the My Trips view, and there's no message that says "Contact United Reservations," you should be good.
Thank you for that info. I logged into manage my booking on the United mobile website instead of the app and managed to email a refreshed receipt to myself.

Flight times are updated although ticket numbers still the same as original. Good enough for me
jsloan likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
Flight times are updated although ticket numbers still the same as original. Good enough for me
Assuming you didn't change the number of connections, date, or the marketing carrier (airline whose flight number it is), it's normal for the ticket number to be the same.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:13 am

Quick question about luggage on a United award ticket. I'm flying from CLE -> SFO -> TPE with a 15 hour layover at SFO. My flight from CLE to SFO will be on United, my SFO to TPE flight will be on EVA. If I don't have any luggage from CLE to SFO, will I be able to check two boxes (sitting at my house in SF) for my EVA flight from SFO to TPE? And will those checked bags have to follow the United luggage allowances from the first flight? (2x50) Or can I follow EVA's allowances since I'm checking my bags at SFO? (70x2)
Old May 13, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Eclipsed830
Quick question about luggage on a United award ticket. I'm flying from CLE -> SFO -> TPE with a 15 hour layover at SFO. My flight from CLE to SFO will be on United, my SFO to TPE flight will be on EVA. If I don't have any luggage from CLE to SFO, will I be able to check two boxes (sitting at my house in SF) for my EVA flight from SFO to TPE? And will those checked bags have to follow the United luggage allowances from the first flight? (2x50) Or can I follow EVA's allowances since I'm checking my bags at SFO? (70x2)
You may check luggage at the BR counter in SFO, and it should follow the BR rules since you are checking at a BR counter. With 15 hours in SFO, I think you would have to re-check anything you checked at CLE anyway.

Note that technically BR should offer you the UA non-status allowance for CLE-TPE, plus any status waivers afforded by BR. However, in cases where the operating carrier's rules are more lenient than the first marketing carrier, they almost always give you the better allowance. I assume you are flying in J?
Old May 13, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by findark
You may check luggage at the BR counter in SFO, and it should follow the BR rules since you are checking at a BR counter. With 15 hours in SFO, I think you would have to re-check anything you checked at CLE anyway.

Note that technically BR should offer you the UA non-status allowance for CLE-TPE, plus any status waivers afforded by BR. However, in cases where the operating carrier's rules are more lenient than the first marketing carrier, they almost always give you the better allowance. I assume you are flying in J?
That would have been my second question. So I check my luggage CLE -> SFO and ask them to pull it at SFO? I'm assuming I need to do that when I check in with United at the counter instead of online?

It's J on the BR flight, Economy (XN) on the UA flight... not even Economy Plus! ha I've always had very good luck with the EVA ground people at SFO so I'm not too worried about that. Do you know if they will check my passport in CLE or at SFO?

Thanks for your help!
Old May 13, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That would have been my second question. So I check my luggage CLE -> SFO and ask them to pull it at SFO? I'm assuming I need to do that when I check in with United at the counter instead of online?
The computer will print out a bag tag for whatever you check in CLE. I'm 98% sure that the tag will only be to SFO, which means you will need to go to baggage claim on arrival at SFO and retrieve your baggage (the general rule is if 13+ hours or "overnight" they will not hold your baggage by checking it through). If, for whatever reason, the tags come out at CLE as tagged through to the BR flight, then they will transfer airside at SFO and you probably cannot have them short-checked even if you ask.

It's J on the BR flight, Economy (XN) on the UA flight... not even Economy Plus! ha I've always had very good luck with the EVA ground people at SFO so I'm not too worried about that. Do you know if they will check my passport in CLE or at SFO?
Because the underlying coupon is Business Class, you should receive the Business allowance at the counter in CLE: 2x70 lbs. You also have the ability to waitlist for I (or IN, depending on your status) on the CLE-SFO sector, since you paid for a J ticket. This is far from a guarantee of getting you into domestic F, but it's risk-free to ask for.

I would expect anyone who hands you a boarding pass to check your passport -- definitely in CLE, and probably again in SFO if you check in with BR.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Can anyone recommend any international destinations that might be more likely to have Saver Award availability in F or J? Looking to leave from SFO on or around June 27th / 28th.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Can anyone recommend any international destinations that might be more likely to have Saver Award availability in F or J? Looking to leave from SFO on or around June 27th / 28th.
Australia/New Zealand? I see NZ I space on LAX-AKL 27-June.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Australia/New Zealand? I see NZ I space on LAX-AKL 27-June.
Thanks! Is it safe to say that Europe is likely off of the table?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.