Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
But there are several dedicated Polaris 772 routes. They are listed in the wiki here: United 77x Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris Seats
Sure.

And there are the undedicated routes and undedicated frames.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sure.

And there are the undedicated routes and undedicated frames.
Yes, that was already noted in several prior posts.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by superret
Hi, im taking the 777-200 (IAD to NRT) in J in August and reservation currently shows the old seat chart. I've been looking at recent flights and at 24 hrs before, they would show the new polaris 1-2-1 seat chart. Is this a sign the route will probably keep the new polaris seats? Am i able to pick certain seats in the old seat chart that would convert to specific seats in the new chart? Thanks
I was pondering the same thing about the IAD route, but for my trip to NRT I'm just going to accept twice the length of drive and go up to EWR where it appears to be a dedicated Polarized 777-300 route between there and NRT. It's also much cheaper (at least for the range of dates I'm looking at) to start/end at EWR instead of IAD.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
somewhat related to United and I didn't want to dig out old threads:
I am flying LH out of B at EWR. As the evenings are usually pretty busy at B and there is no TSA Pre: is there any way I can get from C to B airside (not vice versa - I know the CBP part )
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I was pondering the same thing about the IAD route, but for my trip to NRT I'm just going to accept twice the length of drive and go up to EWR where it appears to be a dedicated Polarized 777-300 route between there and NRT. It's also much cheaper (at least for the range of dates I'm looking at) to start/end at EWR instead of IAD.
Would definitefly prefer EWR as I'm in NYC but when i was booking, only connecting through IAD was showing available for award redemption. Since booking, the schedule has changed twice but only in 5/10 min increments. Been hoping one of the changes would exceed 30 mins so I can get it changed to the direct EWR one instead but so far no luck.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mynolix
somewhat related to United and I didn't want to dig out old threads:
I am flying LH out of B at EWR. As the evenings are usually pretty busy at B and there is no TSA Pre: is there any way I can get from C to B airside (not vice versa - I know the CBP part )
Yes, there is an airside bus from C to B.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ounge-ewr.html
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Hi All, I'll be flying LH and UA for the first time in over two decades next month and have a few basic questions just to manage my expectations. I status-matched to Premier 1k, if that makes a difference.

Flying J on LH DEN-FRA-JNB. I know that LH uses the United Club(s) in DEN on Concourse B even though LH departs from Concourse A. What is "included" in these Clubs? Alcoholic drinks? AA gives a couple free premium drink tickets for international J and F pax, but basic alcoholic beverages are provided at no charge in the clubs - is it that same for United Clubs?

Does being 1K get me anything special? Any good benefits to be aware of as I transit FRA, or for when I'm returning on UA EZE-EWR-DEN?

Basically I'm just trying to maximize my travel experience and am basically a noobie with *A even though I have millions of miles under my belt on OW. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zpaul
Hi All, I'll be flying LH and UA for the first time in over two decades next month and have a few basic questions just to manage my expectations. I status-matched to Premier 1k, if that makes a difference.

Flying J on LH DEN-FRA-JNB. I know that LH uses the United Club(s) in DEN on Concourse B even though LH departs from Concourse A. What is "included" in these Clubs? Alcoholic drinks? AA gives a couple free premium drink tickets for international J and F pax, but basic alcoholic beverages are provided at no charge in the clubs - is it that same for United Clubs?

Does being 1K get me anything special? Any good benefits to be aware of as I transit FRA, or for when I'm returning on UA EZE-EWR-DEN?...
Being an 1K will offer few benefits on LH over what business class receives.
An issue of a status challenge 1K, is it may not show up for partner airlines. But it generally does showup on the BP.
Hope this trip wasn't the reason for the status challenge as you can only do that once every 5 years and it will not make a significant difference on LH operated flights.

At FRA an 1K will potentially have access to the SEN lounge over the Business Lounge
And you may have an additional bag allowance over the business class allowance

As for DEN, you will have access to the United Club -- there is only a domestic level club @ DEN. Some basic beer/wine will be free, not additional drink chits.

On the retrun EZE-EWR-DEN , 1K can preboard. At EWR, as a J passenger you will have Polaris Lounge access.
zpaul likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:06 pm

I have a beginner question, hope this is the right forum. I have a bunch of UR points I can use for an upcoming LAX-LHR trip for a family of three. I noticed British charges a high surcharge on award tickets on the return leg whereas United doesn't; so I'm considering this as an option. For reward seats on UA, do I get the equivalent of basic economy where we can't choose our seats? I'm also going to get the UA credit card before the trip for checked bags so that shouldn't be an issue. If we do get the lowest fare class on award tickets, is there an option to then upgrade to standard economy or premium with cash?

(I've been dormant on the forum for several years now as I haven't really travelled since having a kid 5 years ago, and I'm completely out of the loop on points/miles usage.)

Last edited by msc75; Apr 18, 2019 at 2:09 pm Reason: Added to comment
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by msc75
I have a beginner question, hope this is the right forum. I have a bunch of UR points I can use for an upcoming LAX-LHR trip for a family of three. I noticed British charges a high surcharge on award tickets on the return leg whereas United doesn't; so I'm considering this as an option. For reward seats on UA, do I get the equivalent of basic economy where we can't choose our seats? ...
Award seats on UA operated flights are presently regular economy, not BE.

Originally Posted by msc75
is there an option to then upgrade to standard economy or premium with cash?
You will be standard / regular economy and there may be a cash offer at some point for PP (PremuimPlus/Premium Economy)
msc75 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by superret
Would definitefly prefer EWR as I'm in NYC but when i was booking, only connecting through IAD was showing available for award redemption. Since booking, the schedule has changed twice but only in 5/10 min increments. Been hoping one of the changes would exceed 30 mins so I can get it changed to the direct EWR one instead but so far no luck.
Ah I see. We pretty much have opposite problems. Part of my reason for using EWR over IAD is that it's $2k cheaper. I'd much rather fly from IAD but not for $2k more.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:22 am

I am thinking of booking a mileage run to Bangkok from Houston on ANA. I would like to maximize my United PQM miles, so do I book the ticket with United or ANA? Does United then base my PQM on my miles or fare cost? Thanks in advance for any information.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Starfighter202
I am thinking of booking a mileage run to Bangkok from Houston on ANA. I would like to maximize my United PQM miles, so do I book the ticket with United or ANA? Does United then base my PQM on my miles or fare cost? Thanks in advance for any information.
Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are the same irrespective of ticket stock. Your award miles (RDM) may differ.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:48 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Starfighter202
..... Does United then base my PQM on my miles or fare cost? .....
Miles.

Originally Posted by findark
Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are the same irrespective of ticket stock. Your award miles (RDM) may differ.
PQD (PQ$) of course whole another animal if US based and don't spend a whole lot of $$$$ @:-)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Originally Posted by essexnyc
Purchased LGA-ORD-ASE-ORD-LGA and United changed to LGA-DEN-ASE-DEN-LGA. The night before our departure from Aspen, United cancelled our ASE-DEN segment. There were no good rebooking options, so we hired a car service to drive us at 6AM the four hours to Denver to our DEN-LGA flight. The agent said we will get reimbursed for the ASE-DEN segment but when I re-checked in the website says there would be no fare adjustment. I submitted a refund request. Any idea if a refund will go through or do I need to try other channels?
For the information of others, I had to manually request refunds for the ASE-DEN segment of our tickets. Ended up being refunded 1/4 of the total round-trip four-segment fare, or abou $700. Given that the Aspen-DEN SUV car service was about $950 and we made our flight to NY, I feel that we ended up OK on this one (except the all-evening scramble to find a car).
Kannai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.