Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
If price is the same regardless is there any benefit in booking a multi city ticket over separate singles, particularly if there is a 2+ day gap between flights.

Eg,
Multi city ticket: AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD-AAA

Separate tickets: AAA-BBB, BBB-CCC, CCC-DDD, DDD-AAA

I have recently booked a multi city for a business trip but now have to tweak it and add a new leg. If it had been separate one-ways I could have just cancelled one entirely and taken the $150 loss. However, since its multi city, I'm faced with a $200 change fee + whatever the fare difference would be. Got me wondering if theres scenarios I should proactively be booking single tickets in the future.
The disadvantage of a bunch of one-ways is that if you want to move the trip to next week, in your example you're paying 4x the change fee.

Multi-city: good if you're likely to want to reschedule the trip or cancel it altogether.

Series of one-ways: good if you're likely to want to change/cancel one leg without changing the others.

Same deal with "round trip or two one-ways"? Depends which kind of change you're likely to make.
jsloan and FlyingHighlander like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
The disadvantage of a bunch of one-ways is that if you want to move the trip to next week, in your example you're paying 4x the change fee.

Multi-city: good if you're likely to want to reschedule the trip or cancel it altogether.

Series of one-ways: good if you're likely to want to change/cancel one leg without changing the others.

Same deal with "round trip or two one-ways"? Depends which kind of change you're likely to make.
Thanks. Sounds like one-ways will be of most use to me. I typically dont move a whole trip by a week, more so that I add something earlier or later to make the already existing trip a bit longer. Occasionally I need to shuffle something around in the middle.

Itll be a case by case thing for me, but good to know what I should consider when building an itinerary.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I have a biz saver itinerary - three segment flight. I selected a seat duirng booking for the long haul AU-LAX but since yesterday the seat map is completely greyed out for this flight. If I do a new search (paid ticket) the 'seats' display is wide open, but through my booking only my seat shows. I have conformed there have been no scheudle changes.

Never seen this before.
I have the same situation for a bus saver flight in June. What's interesting is that the seat map shows correctly in the app, but not on the website.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I have the same situation for a bus saver flight in June. What's interesting is that the seat map shows correctly in the app, but not on the website.
As of last night the issue seems to have resolved itself (on a PC). Full seat map now showing with ability to change seats. Maybe a temporary glitch.
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Where exactly is the Global Services reception area at LAX?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
Just to the left of the premier check-in but to the right of tsa precheck
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Quick PQM earning question: looking at a possible SQ itinerary EWR-SIN in August. Obviously this won't be available on 016 stock though if I buy via SQ will I earn PQMs? Bucket is showing as "P" via SQ though UA.com only shows award miles earning (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bakster21
Quick PQM earning question: looking at a possible SQ itinerary EWR-SIN in August. Obviously this won't be available on 016 stock though if I buy via SQ will I earn PQMs? Bucket is showing as "P" via SQ though UA.com only shows award miles earning (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html)
PQM earning is in the bottom chart: "MileagePlus Premier Qualification." An SQ P fare earns 100% of the distance flown as PQM.
bakster21 and a5un like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Missed it, thanks!
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question, I can't find the answer.

Would a Hawaiian Airline flight available to be booked through AA also be bookable through United? Looking at Japan-Hawaii routes, wide open J availability through AA but nothing shows up on United award search. Thank you!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ebola 4
Sorry if this is a silly question, I can't find the answer.

Would a Hawaiian Airline flight available to be booked through AA also be bookable through United? Looking at Japan-Hawaii routes, wide open J availability through AA but nothing shows up on United award search. Thank you!
No. Each would show inventory based on its own proprietary agreement with HA. In fact, I was under the impression that UA only had access to HA awards for inter-island travel, although I can't find that documented anywhere.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
No. Each would show inventory based on its own proprietary agreement with HA. In fact, I was under the impression that UA only had access to HA awards for inter-island travel, although I can't find that documented anywhere.
Thank you very much, that makes sense. Inter-island flights do appear on United's award search.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:13 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by physioprof
1745 miles east at ORD.
wxguy likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
2 quick questions -
1. Is Chile considered a Polaris flight? IAH-SCL (Santiago)
2. As 1K I get preboarding ... any issues/dirty looks if I tag along a colleague (no status) with me for preboard?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by miasmal
2 quick questions -
1. Is Chile considered a Polaris flight? IAH-SCL (Santiago)
2. As 1K I get preboarding ... any issues/dirty looks if I tag along a colleague (no status) with me for preboard?
1. Yes. You can tell because when you try to book the flight it says "United Polaris business (C)"

2. Acceptable as long as it's 1 person and not your whole office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.