Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 6, 19, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 10, 19, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
The fine print on the AC tix. says no AP miles but MP is another story! Its an L class fare which appears to accumulate PQM/PQS. Is this correct?
If the operating carrier says it doesn't earn miles, it won't earn miles in any program (unless someone makes a mistake). If they allowed mileage accrual, it would defeat the purpose.

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
Also, the fine print on both reservations says no advance seat selection and no checked bag. Is this correct? i.e. why doesn't my G * status override?
Definitely correct for seat selection. I'm not sure if *G allows the "additional" bag on these or not - those rules would be specific to the operating carrier.
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA, BA, HH
Is it possible to book a one-way United international premium economy award with a mileage currency other then United? Basically, do any other Star Alliance or partner carriers allow this? Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneeye4u76 View Post
Is it possible to book a one-way United international premium economy award with a mileage currency other then United? Basically, do any other Star Alliance or partner carriers allow this? Thanks!
Not at this time.
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by oneeye4u76 View Post
Just to add to jsloan's comment, there is presently no designated UA booking code that would allow such an award.
Old Mar 10, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
About a month ago I booked 5 pax on UA award flights from Europe on AC metal for July. One connection, 4 hour layover. I happened to be looking at another trip in my UA account and see that the second segment of the return Europe trip has changed and now departs 2 hours before we even arrive at connection. (No email from UA about this!)

If we stick with the VCE-YYZ first segment, then we'd have to make another connection to get home or have a 22 hour layover. I want neither of these options and planned out the 1-connection route so we could avoid all this.

What are my options now? I need to call in, obviously, but is it possible for UA to open up award seats on UA metal for both segments of a 1-connection journey?
Old Mar 10, 19, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
I am planning to stay 4-5 hours in ORD ( not SFO ) to not risk anything. The second airline is not SQ, it's LOT. The reason I am willing to take a longer connection is also allowing extra time to transfer from T1 to T5 and try the Polaris Lounge if I decide to pay Business for the transatlantic leg by paying 150 extra than the PE fare.
Sorry, my mistake -- I must have confused your question with another person's; there were two similar questions today. 4-5 hours at ORD seems reasonable. I wouldn't do anything shorter than about 4 hours personally.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
What are my options now? I need to call in, obviously, but is it possible for UA to open up award seats on UA metal for both segments of a 1-connection journey?
Yes. If UA serves your destination, your easiest course of action is to ask to be re-accommodated on all-UA metal.
Aussienarelle and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Adding return leg, does change fee apply?

Hi,

i have a 1-way. EWR - IAD. I just realized that Id like to add a return leg as well to the same reservation without changing the first leg.

does United allow adding return leg without change fee?
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by hokiebuy View Post
i have a 1-way. EWR - IAD. I just realized that I’d like to add a return leg as well to the same reservation without changing the first leg.

That's going to be a new ticket, and it will typically involve repricing the existing segment plus a change fee.

Domestic fares are usually priced as half-roundtrips, so why not just buy another one-way?
Old Mar 12, 19, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy View Post
Hi,

i have a 1-way. EWR - IAD. I just realized that Id like to add a return leg as well to the same reservation without changing the first leg.

The change fee would apply to any change, including adding a return leg to a one-way.

999 times out of 1000, it would make more sense to book a separate one-way IAD-EWR ticket than to try to rebook as a round-trip.
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:02 am

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
It's been a long time since I have flown on UA so I haven't even looked at the Mileage Plus rules until now.

I have a USD4,300 P class business ticket on UA (codeshare operated by NH) and UA flying HKG-NRT-IAH, the return is all UA IAH-SFO-HKG. If I read the rules correctly, for non-elites, I will get roughly 21,500 miles ($ x 5 for miles). For status, I will earn 150% of miles based on the P class.

Question 1: What "miles" is the PQM based on? Is that based on actual miles flown (so around 8,300 one-way X 150%)? If yes, then it looks like I will still clear the minimum 25,000 mile hurdle to reach Silver?

Question 2: I see the premier status requires 4 sectors. Do my 4 flights in this itinerary count as 4 sectors?

My other choice would be depositing the miles with Aegean since I have some miles there. I don't fly as often as I used to so if I don't get enough benefits from putting miles into Mileage Plus, I might just lose a few thousands miles and use Aegean's better award chart.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Mar 20, 19, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MajorFloyd View Post
I have a USD4,300 P class business ticket on UA (codeshare operated by NH) and UA flying HKG-NRT-IAH, the return is all UA IAH-SFO-HKG. If I read the rules correctly, for non-elites, I will get roughly 21,500 miles ($ x 5 for miles). For status, I will earn 150% of miles based on the P class.
Correct.

Question 1: What "miles" is the PQM based on? Is that based on actual miles flown (so around 8,300 one-way X 150%)? If yes, then it looks like I will still clear the minimum 25,000 mile hurdle to reach Silver?
Yes.

Question 2: I see the premier status requires 4 sectors. Do my 4 flights in this itinerary count as 4 sectors?
No. Only the UA-operated segments will count. The NH-operated segments don't. So, it looks like 3 segments: NRT-IAH, IAH-SFO, and SFO-HKG. You'd reach Silver with your next UA-operated flight, or if you take one additional flight while in the US.
Old Mar 20, 19, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
If I book a flexible economy fare for someone else (not for me) and need to cancel the flight, am I still able to get a full refund back to my credit card? And who needs to call to cancel... me or the person I booked the flight for (or can either of us call)?
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
If I book a flexible economy fare for someone else (not for me) and need to cancel the flight, am I still able to get a full refund back to my credit card? And who needs to call to cancel... me or the person I booked the flight for (or can either of us call)?
Make sure you read the fare rules carefully. For domestic itineraries, flexible generally means fully refundable (but double-check); for international itineraries, the meaning can vary.

For a refundable ticket, the credit always returns to the original form of payment. Either you or the passenger could call.
Old Mar 20, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Make sure you read the fare rules carefully. For domestic itineraries, flexible generally means fully refundable (but double-check); for international itineraries, the meaning can vary.

For a refundable ticket, the credit always returns to the original form of payment. Either you or the passenger could call.
Excellent, thank you. It's a domestic itinerary. I'll double check, but sometimes those fare rules are very hard to understand.
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Excellent, thank you. It's a domestic itinerary. I'll double check, but sometimes those fare rules are very hard to understand.
No problem.

I agree -- they're tricky. Search for "Cancellations." You want to see something like "Cancellations permitted" along with "No charge" and "refunded"

Search this Thread