Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 6, 19, 4:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weíve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just canít find it or arenít sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 4, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you are within 90 days of departure and the assigned equipment is a 764, I would not expect Polaris seats. Yes, gauge varies seasonally so running a 763 in Jan is in no way indicative of them downgauging a March flight.
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan View Post
I get that - but I should have been more clear in my question. Namely, is there a "spring" schedule change that occurs each year, for example. And following that example, UA has historically added / changed capacity on long-haul flights and thus I should never try to compare March schedules to Jan schedule.
You asked about the likelihood of a swap for a Polaris aircraft, and it seems that's what you really want to know. So I would stick with my original answer.
Old Feb 4, 19, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Not a MP inquiry per se but I need some help and hope this thread will come up with the answer.. I know somewhere is a listing that shows UA equipment and which routes are served by them. I have seen it and I forgot where. Specifically I am trying to find a TATL route that's served by any 767 variation so that I can catch a two seat row and sit together with Mrs. Ex. I know AMS is one, just looking for alternatives. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 19, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat View Post
Not a MP inquiry per se but I need some help and hope this thread will come up with the answer.. I know somewhere is a listing that shows UA equipment and which routes are served by them. I have seen it and I forgot where. Specifically I am trying to find a TATL route that's served by any 767 variation so that I can catch a two seat row and sit together with Mrs. Ex. I know AMS is one, just looking for alternatives. Thanks.
You are probably thinking about https://unitedcargo.com/ and Widebody Schedule Feb 2019 , but as the link title suggests, it is only for the upcoming month.

If you are looking further, there may be aircraft type changes for some routes and you will need to check the actual UA schedule / timetable for the specific route.
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 19, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Diamond, AVIS Pres, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
You are probably thinking about https://unitedcargo.com/ and Widebody Schedule Feb 2019 , but as the link title suggests, it is only for the upcoming month.

If you are looking further, there may be aircraft type changes for some routes and you will need to check the actual UA schedule / timetable for the specific route.
Super helpful, highly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Feb 4, 19, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

This is a great site for the question I had -- it won't tell me if it is a Polaris aircraft, but once published for March, should tell me if FCO-EWR is a 764 and has 0% chance of Polaris or if it will be a 763 and have a >0% chance.
Old Feb 5, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Iíve checked the Master Wiki, searched this thread and searched the Forum looking for an answer to a question that I know has been answered somewhere on the Forum. I havenít had any luck in finding it.

On the old UA website, when you wanted to share your itinerary, you were able to choose the format that you wanted to send, I.e., showing the itinerary without ticket pricing. Today, when I went to my itinerary, I couldnít see any link, etc. for any form of sharing (emailing) it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Hm, if you click "View" of the specific itinerary from your Manage Reservations page, and click the e-mail icon on the right hand side--next to the printer and calendar icons--that will give you the option to share your itinerary to specific email addresses (w/o pricing).
Old Feb 5, 19, 7:51 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by beeasyed View Post
Hm, if you click "View" of the specific itinerary from your Manage Reservations page, and click the e-mail icon on the right hand side--next to the printer and calendar icons--that will give you the option to share your itinerary to specific email addresses (w/o pricing).
Thatís what I was looking for. Thank you.
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:13 pm
J S

How often does UA switch one configuration of 777-200 for another? I am booked on TLV-EWR in J. The seat map shows Version 2 (2-2-2 in J). How likely is it that I could end up in a 2-4-2 configuration (and are the bad reports of that seat accurate)?
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by J S View Post
How often does UA switch one configuration of 777-200 for another? I am booked on TLV-EWR in J. The seat map shows Version 2 (2-2-2 in J). How likely is it that I could end up in a 2-4-2 configuration (and are the bad reports of that seat accurate)?
Odds are close to zero for that particular swap.

You might see a swap to a 772 with Polaris seats, which would be an upgrade.

And yes, 2-4-2 is not good (though the seat itself is very comfortable, if very narrow).
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:26 pm
J S

Thanks, @Kacee and thanjs for the amazingly fast reply! (As an AA refugee who has just started flying UA a bunch--this will be my third international J round trip in 2 months plus a fourth last summer, I really appreciate the openness of people on this board to entertain the simple questions.)
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 9, 19, 10:36 am

about to graduate college and I heard about a 10k bonus miles on united if you're part of their college plus program.
Is the program discontinued? I couldn't find any information on it apart from outdated forum posts and a handful of articles
Old Feb 9, 19, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
And of course fairly recent DPs by UA posters indicate that during Irrops co-terminals magically become available
All bets are off during irrops. You can even rebook to a completely different destination in many cases.
Old Feb 9, 19, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by whostolemycookie View Post
about to graduate college and I heard about a 10k bonus miles on united if you're part of their college plus program.
Is the program discontinued?
I think that went away long, long ago.
Old Feb 9, 19, 10:45 pm

I want to book travel for my family of 4 and upgrade to Polaris. I have 170K miles in my account (need 240K for the particular route we're looking at) and they have about 15-20K each. I know I have to transfer some Chase points in to make up the difference, but can I use some of their miles for free? Or do I have to pay to transfer their miles to my account to upgrade all 4 of us? I assume there's no way for me to avoid the fee by transferring some Chase points to each of their 3 accounts to pay for one outbound flight upgrade and then I use my miles to pay the other inbound flight upgrade.

Thanks!

P.S. I tried looking this up on the United website but the FAQ isn't very helpful. I see that it's a $15 fee per 1,000 miles, so transferring up to 60K miles from their 3 accounts into mine would cost me $900.
mkbug likes this.

Search this Thread