Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Pre-discussions

New United Club menus to be "announced" 4 March 2015

United Clubs to be renovated

Confirmed Clubs with New Food Offerings:

All domestic clubs now confirmed with some version of the New Food Offerings. Full spread at all domestic hubs, with cut-down or hybrid versions at most outstation clubs.

International Clubs with different catering: GUM, HKG, MEX, LHR, NRT

Updates:

October 11, 2017: A new flavor coming to United Clubs
Print Wikipost

UC amenities - regular & special food / snacks, power, wifi, work areas, ...{archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by diburning
12pm-6pm? I thought mimosas were an excuse to imbibe at breakfast time.
The peach ones are really good, I thought the timing was odd as well…
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA
The HNL Club above gate 9 is beyond grim. Buffet looks like food poisoning just waiting to happen, especially the room temp chicken and egg salads.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by welltended
The HNL Club above gate 9 is beyond grim. Buffet looks like food poisoning just waiting to happen, especially the room temp chicken and egg salads.
I will never understand why folks with no professional food-handling experience feel the need to make these alarming statements. While anything is possible, you can be 99.9% sure that the UC is handling its food in accordance with local regulations, meaning that the food is safe to consume. I for one would be thrilled if more of the UCs I visit offered chicken and egg salad....
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:01 pm

But surely metal bowls on crushed ice should be at least embedded in ice for a bit, not perched on top of melting ice? Perhaps that meets commercial standards (?) but I would not let stuff sit out like that at home. Enjoy. Maybe UC cannot control its guests but I also will not eat cheese cubes from a plate I have seen others grabbing at with hands...but hey the wifi works.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

The peach ones are really good, I thought the timing was odd as well…
I don't recall a peach one. I tried all of them I think—grapefruit, cranberry, and orange—and thought all were good. Didn't much like it when the bartender sugar-coated the rim for the grapefruit (the only one that was dipped), but the next time they were all served au naturel.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This Hawaii-based traveler has helped himself to the same at least a dozen times in last year w/o any ill effects. I look forward to a report if you actually get sick instead of reporting on what something “looks like”. Do you seriously think UA would have the same set-up for a year if people were getting sick?

Chances of you getting sick was about the same chance of you being on a Polaris-marketed flight to Hawaii.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 27, 2018 at 8:04 pm
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But surely metal bowls on crushed ice should be at least embedded in ice for a bit, not perched on top of melting ice? Perhaps that meets commercial standards (?) but I would not let stuff sit out like that at home. Enjoy. Maybe UC cannot control its guests but I also will not eat cheese cubes from a plate I have seen others grabbing at with hands...but hey the wifi works.
i guess you don’t visit United Clubs much. Pretty much the cheese standard for years. Hawaii has State food service inspections like any other State.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:43 am

Guess that club gets love. Did not eat anything but a roll. I never eat the cheese cubes anywhere but the finger scrabbling was more obvious at HNL. Always use Clubs where available, paid member ship. Seldom eat. Peace.

Last edited by Welltended3; Jan 28, 2018 at 5:20 am
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Guess that club gets love. Did not eat anything but a roll. I never eat the cheese cubes anywhere but the finger scrabbling was more obvious at HNL. Always use Clubs where available, paid member ship. Seldom eat. Peace.
No piling on was intended -- and I can see how one might be queasy after personally witnessing someone rifling through the food with bare hands. But I've always found the Japanese alternative, where even the apples are shrink-wrapped, rather silly and sterile. Ironically even though they're ostensibly health and safety regulations, ultimately it comes down to culture.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess that club gets love....I never eat the cheese cubes anywhere but the finger scrabbling was more obvious at HNL. Always use Clubs where available...
It gets no more love than any other club. It actually needs an update and it needs to get rid of the unnecessary buzzed entry. The food is hardly spectacular, but it hasn't made anyone sick. As for the cheese, I have seen people use their fingers at LAX, SFO, LAS, IAH, SAN, DEN, ORD, EWR, etc. Not sure why you have it in for one Club in particular.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 28, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:13 pm

Because that was the one I was sitting in at the time, a bit peckish? IAD is grim but I am there in mornings and can get some bread products and a banana.
I loved the wrapped cheese they used to have in the clubs
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

This Hawaii-based traveler has helped himself to the same at least a dozen times in last year w/o any ill effects. I look forward to a report if you actually get sick instead of reporting on what something “looks like”. Do you seriously think UA would have the same set-up for a year if people were getting sick?

Chances of you getting sick was about the same chance of you being on a Polaris-marketed flight to Hawaii.
I was in the HNL lounge last week and food looked and tasted fine to me. Pretty standard for a United Club except for a POG dispenser next to the water one. Liked the tarmac views too, including Air Asia X flight to KIX and KUL which was parked next to UA planes and could be seen from the lounge.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When you see fingers in the food, you should speak up - I have no shame in yelling at some of these selfish idiots who think they can stick their dirty fingers into shared trays of food, it's disgusting - be thankful you weren't in a Maple Leaf Lounge where not only is this common-place, but you might find someone licking a shared serving spoon, or worse. If you see someone contaminating the food, after yelling at them, tell the staff so they can replace it, and ask an agent to instruct that person to either use the serving utensils, or to get out of the club, there is no excuse for that.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
When you see fingers in the food, you should speak up - I have no shame in yelling at some of these selfish idiots who think they can stick their dirty fingers into shared trays of food, it's disgusting - be thankful you weren't in a Maple Leaf Lounge where not only is this common-place, but you might find someone licking a shared serving spoon, or worse. If you see someone contaminating the food, after yelling at them, tell the staff so they can replace it, and ask an agent to instruct that person to either use the serving utensils, or to get out of the club, there is no excuse for that.
Every MLL I've been to has not only had a better food spread than UA clubs, but the food areas have always looked way cleaner, whether it's LAX, YVR, YYC, or LHR.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Numi tea enhancement?

It's been over a year since I've seen my favorite flavor of Numi tea in the United Clubs. It was a Jasmine-Green tea blend, and it used to be standard issue in all the clubs.

Is it gone for good? Enhanced to pay for some of the renovations? Or might it reappear someday - like the Great Pumpkin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.